Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Adding the OEM nav

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/14, 07:10 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the rest of my parts in today. I probably won't be able to get anyone to help me this weekend and am out until pretty much the end of the year after that. How possible is removing the dash with one person? I know people have said don't do it, but is it just completely impossible or is it just a huge pain?
Old 12/9/14, 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I had my wife helping getting it out, but put it back in all by myself... It is possible, I would use tons of blankets to not scratch any interior parts...

LEXiiON
Old 12/9/14, 09:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by highpsi615
Also the nav has the shelby t500 start up screen. Any gurus know how to program it to the mustang running pony?
It is programmed in the head unit from what I understand, my buddy replaced the head unit in his Expedition with one out of a Lincoln Navigator when his went out and it has the Lincoln Emblem on the screen at startup.
Old 12/9/14, 09:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Also the nav has the shelby t500 start up screen. Any gurus know how to program it to the mustang running pony?
That is controlled in the as built data. If you are ever able to get the correct as built fields in IDS share it....

The challenge is, that somewhere in the car that information is stored (NAV vs. non-NAV) and we couldn't figure out yet how to get IDS recognize the correct NAV as built fields...

It is not:
The PCM
The Sync or APIM
The IPC
The GEM
The BCM
The SJB

The only chance right now is to send the ACM unit to 4Dtech and get the screen changed to the pony.

LEXiiON

Last edited by LEXiiON; 12/9/14 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12/9/14, 09:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by LEXiiON
That is controlled in the as built data. If you are ever able to get the correct as built fields in IDS share it....

The challenge is, that somewhere in the car that information is stored (NAV vs. non-NAV) and we couldn't figure out yet how to get IDS recognize the correct NAV as built fields...

It is not:
The PCM
The Sync or APIM
The IPC
The GEM
The BCM
The SJB

The only chance right now is to send the ACM unit to 4Dtech and get the screen changed to the pony.

LEXiiON
Dmhines found what as built code it is supposed to be to change the screen start-up, but his car came with nav. For those of us retrofitting, as lexiion said, we don't have the proper fields come up on IDS when looking to enter as built data. And it is a big mystery as to how to get the proper fields for a nav to come up despite having the nav installed in the car.
Old 12/10/14, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by jim010
Dmhines found what as built code it is supposed to be to change the screen start-up, but his car came with nav. For those of us retrofitting, as lexiion said, we don't have the proper fields come up on IDS when looking to enter as built data. And it is a big mystery as to how to get the proper fields for a nav to come up despite having the nav installed in the car.
wishful thinking, but would programming the nav from a gt 500 vin to a nav equipped regular mustang vin possibly do anything? one would think the factory nav would have dual splash screens. more than likely the shelby techs probably just put an audio update on the cars via usb or similar you think? it seems very ineffective cost wise to pull a unit and swap hard drives for a splash screen. we need to figure out how to reverse engineer this thing. ironically it really bothers me seeing the shelby start up screen!
Old 12/10/14, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by forceflow2
Got the rest of my parts in today. I probably won't be able to get anyone to help me this weekend and am out until pretty much the end of the year after that. How possible is removing the dash with one person? I know people have said don't do it, but is it just completely impossible or is it just a huge pain?
I didn't remove the dash at all and didn't have any problems. Since you take out most of the trim panels anyways to pull the dash, give it a shot. You may be surprised!

edit: my '14 seems to have a diff dash harness layout than what was pictured at the start of this thread. Mine didn't go behind the blower box. It was all wide open and crossed over from one side to the other below the radio. It literally took an hour to remove the pass airbag and dash trim panels/gauges and run the new harness. It wasn't bad at all and works great.

Last edited by highpsi615; 12/10/14 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12/10/14, 09:54 PM

Also, don't want to break any site rules here, and I'm not trying to actively peddle anything for sale here, but I have a 2012 dash harness, shaker amp, and trunk nav amp from the takeout I bought that didn't work in my 14. If it helps anyone out here piecing together a setup message me. Its just sitting in my garage and I wouldn't ask very much at all for it.

edit: harness is from a 2012 gt500 WITHOUT backup cam or heated seats.

Last edited by highpsi615; 12/10/14 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12/10/14, 10:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

wishful thinking, but would programming the nav from a gt 500 vin to a nav equipped regular mustang vin possibly do anything? one would think the factory nav would have dual splash screens. more than likely the shelby techs probably just put an audio update on the cars via usb or similar you think? it seems very ineffective cost wise to pull a unit and swap hard drives for a splash screen. we need to figure out how to reverse engineer this thing. ironically it really bothers me seeing the shelby start up screen!
It is 2 Bytes in the as built data.
However, the NAV and non-NAV units have different field lengths...
IDS won't give you the correct field lenghts if you retrofit..
And we couldn't figure out where that is controlled...

LEXiiON
Old 12/11/14, 11:48 AM
V6 Member

I didn't remove the dash at all and didn't have any problems. Since you take out most of the trim panels anyways to pull the dash, give it a shot. You may be surprised!

edit: my '14 seems to have a diff dash harness layout than what was pictured at the start of this thread. Mine didn't go behind the blower box. It was all wide open and crossed over from one side to the other below the radio. It literally took an hour to remove the pass airbag and dash trim panels/gauges and run the new harness. It wasn't bad at all and works great.
I'm going to be doing the dual climate switch on mine, so apparently the whole thing will need to come out. We'll see what the weather is like this weekend. If the snow isn't too bad, I might be able to convince a friend to come out and help.
Old 12/12/14, 08:13 PM
V6 Member

Going to do this tomorrow (and hopefully will finish it tomorrow as well). All my parts are in and I have printed off the manual pages I should need. The manual mentions specifically to have two people to remove the dash so I will rope a friend into it (or get all the way to the removal and guilt them into helping since it's my only car ) I'm hoping I won't run into any issues with all the great work and information others have provided on this thread. I will let everyone know how it goes. Thanks again, all!

EDIT: While gathering my parts together before going to sleep tonight, I noticed that my 2013 ACM was different than the 2010 I received. I had previously thought nothing of it, because I figure it was just model year differences, but after closer inspection realized that it wasn't a Nav unit ACM and I was shipped the incorrect part (the tag even says it's a 2014 and the VIN the car came from is not the one I had ordered. I have no idea what the parts puller was thinking. I really should have paid closer attention when I received it, though). Very POed at the moment. This is going to push my install back at least several weeks now, even assuming they ship me the correct part fairly quickly.

Last edited by forceflow2; 12/12/14 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12/15/14, 06:26 PM

Def need some help here guys! After replacing the climate harness I went from reversed controls to now everything is full heat full time no matter what the temps. Any ideas? Also being a base model I didn't have the trunk mounted antenna. I got satellite to work on the yellow port. My nav says No GPS. I ordered the yellow faker nav antenna and the same thing. Today I received the pink Fakra nav antenna and STILL NO GPS!!!!! What gives? I'm a 100 bucks into antennas and have no idea what to try now. HELP!!!! Thanks-Steve
Old 12/16/14, 08:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Steve,

Do you have a VCM and IDS? You can query the HVAC module to see if there are any issues.

-Matt
Old 12/16/14, 02:50 PM
V6 Member

I was just informed that the ACM I was supposed to be shipped was apparently sold to someone else and was no longer available. Looks like my installation is on permanent hold until I can actually find another 13/14 ACM. The ones on car-part.com aren't actually available and I don't see anyone selling them anywhere else. I considered just giving up, but I already have everything except the 13/14 ACM so I might as well keep at it. I just hope my harness is going to work with whatever one I find in the future, but that's probably just another timebomb waiting to explode in my face.
Old 12/16/14, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by zeroaviation
Steve,

Do you have a VCM and IDS? You can query the HVAC module to see if there are any issues.

-Matt
Matt, I actually just had an idiot moment. I swapped two of th blend door connectors. All works great now! Any ideas on my antenna debacle? I do have the OEM trunk antenna included in my swap, but want to mount it behind the glove box. I ordered a yellow female to female fakra connector but its a few weeks out before I can try my full OEM theory in connecting the OEM antenna splitter to the OEM trunk antenna. I just can't believe that with a pink fakra standalone gps antenna, and then a yellow fakra standalone gps antenna that neither work?!?! I do have a VCM 2 and IDS from my premium gauge swap if anyone has any ideas on reprogramming anything? The system functions 100% outside of no GPS signal. Also I have not bought Shaker door panels with subs yet and now my radio sounds horrid after buying the Shaker amp. I know they have factory high pass filters on the 6x8's. Anyone one know how to bypass that temporarily until a set of door panels show up on Ebay? It sounds like a really loud clock radio right now. ZERO mids or bass. Is the wiring in the doors for a plug and play shaker door panel swap? Thanks for the help everyone!

edit- I have a 2014 base, now equipped with factory nav, dash harness, and correct 2014 shaker amp. I did not have the trunk mounted antenna stock hence all my problems. On the dash harness I only had a white fakra connector for my aerial on the rear fender. My new harness has the yellow wire hooked up to an aftermarket satellite radio antenna (functioning perfect) and a silver old style antenna looking male end that is currently dangling in mid air not connected if that helps any.
Old 1/3/15, 06:40 PM

Ok, everything works now with the fakra connector and the OEM antenna on the dash. I am now fully functional! Reference post for any base model guys out there.-Steve
Old 1/3/15, 06:44 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Ok, everything works now with the fakra connector and the OEM antenna on the dash. I am now fully functional! Reference post for any base model guys out there.-Steve
That's fakran awesome!

Post pics.
Old 1/7/15, 12:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
who makes this nav is it FoCoMo (sony) or clarion?
Old 1/7/15, 12:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Clarion.

LEXiiON
Old 1/17/15, 07:01 AM

I had a chance to buy a lot of these parts on ebay. I contacted my local dealership and asked my service guy if I bought the system could it be added. (This is before I found this.) He said their parts guy said no way not possible. I was so livid/heart broken. I bought my 2012 GT new and they told me it was possible to upgrade to the OEM nav system. Which I called them out on and they shrugged it off.

I stumbled on this site and especially this topic. I was so overjoyed. I was looking at the aftermarket stuff and the ones that have a tablet added. I didn't like that they weren't fully integrated and the look didn't have the same feel.

Anyways I'm going to start buying the parts that I need. I have a friend that I can get to put it in. I'll also be adding the dual zone climate system as well. I was thinking about the temp controlled seats, but I'm sure that is a major undertaking.

Quick Reply: Adding the OEM nav