Added Android Auto Using Stock Faceplate - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Added Android Auto Using Stock Faceplate

Old 8/5/17, 08:05 PM   #1

Added Android Auto Using Stock Faceplate

Background:

The base/shaker stereo in the 2010-2014 Mustangs is old, first appearing in 2009 for the 2010 model year Ford Taurus, Mustang, and Freestyle. The radio is entirely controlled through the body control module, which receives commands for the A/C and radio from the faceplate we all know and hate. The basic display does little else but frustrate with only the outside temp, radio/media status, and heading being displayed. The upgraded navigation option is even older than that, with early versions first appearing in 2008 M.Y. vehicles, and the system couldn't be swapped as the controls relied on the oem nav display to work. There are many aftermarket options, the best being Metra, then the iDatalink, and lastly, Scosche. However, they're all priced super high, as they require an entirely custom installation, and usually leave the nav screen on the bottom of the instrument panel, which isn't optional. I tried modifying a schosche kit, with little success.

What I did:

I found an Android based radio with a detachable touchscreen, and with that concept, began trying to fit it into the car. I took the factory radio out, bought an adapter for the plugs, and soldered the Android's harness in the correct location - I then wrapped it in wire loom for factory appearance. Next, I disassembled the faceplate - the gray painted part is attached to the buttons with 8 torx screws. Once removed, the metal cover on the back that protects the PCB can be removed with 6? Phillips screws. The PCB then pops out of the black button housing. I used a Dremel to remove the top 2 sections of buttons, as I wouldn't be using them! I reassembled the PCB and buttons, and set to work on the painted bezel. I grabbed the screen, traced it on to the faceplate, and then dremeled out the plastic to a rough shape. I used a hasp and the Dremel sander to get the corners and edges close, and then test fitted the screen - the connector sat just above the buttons/PCB, which reduced the work I needed to do. I wedged the screen in placed, silliconed the back, and then screwed the button/PCB combo back on, plugged in my connectors, and viola! The head unit had a wired mic, which I attached in the stock Sync mic location - I also placed the USB port from the unit in the factory USB location (the oem part unplug and leaves a blank spot). See the photos, but everything works! I'll be installing a steering wheel control adapter to read the signals from the radio faceplate and steering wheel soon.

[USB Location](http://i.imgur.com/4h4lkdi.jpg)

[Android Auto Homescreen](http://i.imgur.com/ra5MROM.jpg)

[Google Maps](http://i.imgur.com/vn4Tc5L.jpg)

[Google Play Music](http://i.imgur.com/CX4KKlY.jpg)

[http://i.imgur.com/MLCS20d.jpg](http://i.imgur.com/MLCS20d.jpg)

The unit runs android 6.0 natively, but has the ability to act as a host device for Apple carplay and Android Auto, which gives a nice modern appearance and easy controls. Along with the premium instrument cluster/track apps, the added bonus of having a built in diagnostic device is awesome!
2005_Redstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Old 8/6/17, 09:29 AM   #2
GT Member

Nice!
DJ2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/6/17, 09:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2014 View Post
Nice!
Thanks! Quite a bit of work, but the installation works great!
Old 8/6/17, 09:46 AM   #4
Cobra R Member

We need a lot of pics!!!! This sound great
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/6/17, 09:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
We need a lot of pics!!!! This sound great
What all would you like to see? I can show you the modifications to the button panel and whatnot? Maybe a YouTube video? Whatever works best.
Old 8/6/17, 11:23 AM   #6
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005_Redstang View Post
What all would you like to see? I can show you the modifications to the button panel and whatnot? Maybe a YouTube video? Whatever works best.
I have the Raxiom navi and not too happy with it. The Raxiom screen isn't what I thought it was going to be.

What radio did you go with and yes, pics and maybe a video would help a LOT. Any additional info you want to share would be great.
Old 8/6/17, 11:25 AM   #7
GT Member

How's the glare(if there is any) on the screen?
Old 8/6/17, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
How's the glare(if there is any) on the screen?

Sorry I haven't gotten back here! It's pretty good - the screen amps up the brightness a bunch! The dash overhang keeps it pretty shaded. I may explore a Matt screen protector.
Old 8/6/17, 08:09 PM   #9

Quote:
I have the Raxiom navi and not too happy with it. The Raxiom screen isn't what I thought it was going to be.

What radio did you go with and yes, pics and maybe a video would help a LOT. Any additional info you want to share would be great.

I had the raxiom Navi for a while, bought it for $60 on eBay, fixed it and had it for a week - sold for $350. I then bought a Joying 8 inch single DIN radio, they go for $300 or so. Find one with at least 2 gigabytes of RAM, which is needed. The radio has the capability of decoding CAN messages, but requires an extra $90 box designed for a different car. Otherwise, it has inputs for radar sensors (backup), camera (front and rear), and output for all the speakers, amp switch, powered antenna output, and input for the parking break. It has 2 USB ports, and an external GPS I mounted in the factory location. It has a mic input, I placed the microphone in the overhead sync microphone location, hidden and factory looking. You're essentially removing the APIM, and replacing it with another one. You could probably use a raxiom bezel and swap out the screen, honestly... If I'd been able to find another bezel, I would have tried that instead.
Old 8/6/17, 09:50 PM   #10
GT Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely check into this. I guess the OEM volume **** is non-functional?
Old 8/7/17, 06:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely check into this. I guess the OEM volume **** is non-functional?
For now. It works exactly like the steering wheel controls, however. All you need to unlock them is a way to read the signals they send to the body control module, and have them translated into a signal understood by the new stereo. It seems like a steering wheel control interface meant for the car might do the trick, but I'm out of money at the moment to try it with that, you'd be able to map all of the buttons to a function on the new radio, which would basically be total integration.
Old 12/6/17, 07:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005_Redstang View Post
For now. It works exactly like the steering wheel controls, however. All you need to unlock them is a way to read the signals they send to the body control module, and have them translated into a signal understood by the new stereo. It seems like a steering wheel control interface meant for the car might do the trick, but I'm out of money at the moment to try it with that, you'd be able to map all of the buttons to a function on the new radio, which would basically be total integration.
2005_Redstang, are you by any chance close to Virginia/ North Carolina?
Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/6/17, 07:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levine View Post
2005_Redstang, are you by any chance close to Virginia/ North Carolina?
I'm in northern Florida/south Georgia.
Old 12/6/17, 07:31 PM   #14

Anyone have any tips on what interface to buy? I've got some extra cash.