05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Adding a Navigation System to a 2007 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/14, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding a Navigation System to a 2007 Mustang

Hello,
This is my first post on here after browsing the site for some weeks now. I bought a 2007 Mustang V6 Deluxe Convertible this summer at the dealership that I work at. Several months after I bought it I started to realize that the car was extremely base and had few features. Anyways after doing some small upgrades to the exterior by getting parts from americanmuscle.com, I now want to upgrade my interior. I like the idea of having a navigation system in the dash but I am not that big of a fan of aftermarket nav systems. I don't like that they don't look like they belong in the car because the buttons are always funky and have different color lighting and such. I have been looking around for a while and found oemautopartsco online and they sell factory navigation systems or at least very close to factory navigation look. My question is, a)will that navigation system plug and play in my car without extensive work and b)if it doesn't work seamlessly then what are my options? Also is there any other aftermarket navigation systems that look decent in Mustangs? Thanks for your help.
Old 1/5/14, 11:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Remember, if you go with a factory navigation, you won't have controls on the steering wheel. 2005-09's didn't have that option. You would have to go to a 2010-up steering wheel, add a couple WPT440 connectors, modify the controls on the s/wheel, add a good open Ford navi head, and go from there. That is what I've done. MacMan has added one to his 07 also. Another gentleman from WA state, has bought the module tuner for these radios, and is in current trials to see if everything works and can be reprogrammed at his home. I hope that works for him.

A used 08-09 factory head will work, if you get a good used (open controlled) navigation head. Mine came out of a Sable, 2009. 2008-9 Sables and Taurus have about everything turned on, except the b/u camera. The Fusions/Milan's don't. I ran the numbers and what they had for options, and found the Taurus/Sable and the 07-9 F150's are good candidates to swap without having to have them reprogrammed. Any of the Lincolns should be good, but they usually have the silver trim faces over the black in the Ford/Mazda/Mercury models. My head works like a charm. The only thing I don't have turned on is the rear view camera. Everything else works, including my add on SYNC package I decided to use. I managed to get everything put together, for less than $300 and all the items work. I'm not using a SYNC mirror, since I have a Homelink auto/dim mirror, so I have the pillar mounted SYNC microphone. Works fine, even for the passenger to talk. This setup is exactly what Ford should of had in the 07 Mustangs but didn't. I have a bunch of the 2010 up mods on my 07 and they work great. Good luck with your Stang.
Old 1/6/14, 04:03 AM
GT Member

I added the OEM Nav to my '08 just after buying it. Pretty much plug and play except since it was a brand new unit I did have to get it programmed. I love it and cannot imagine being without this system, plus it uses the same map disks as my wife's '08 Mountaineer so updates are half price.

However, from what I recall, early '07's and before did not bring the vehicle speed sensor info to the radio the same way and some report having to acknowledge an error message when starting up. Also, note that Ford changed the antenna connector some time prior to '08 so you might need an adapter depending on what radio you get. The GPS antenna easily mounts under the dash (factory position was a clip onto the instrument cluster, but it is much easier to mount it on top of the heater box with double-faced tape and it gets a clear view through the windshield) and the rest of the plugs support the Shaker 500 Subs, but not the Shaker 1000 rear sub.
Old 1/7/14, 03:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Beargap
I added the OEM Nav to my '08 just after buying it. Pretty much plug and play except since it was a brand new unit I did have to get it programmed. I love it and cannot imagine being without this system, plus it uses the same map disks as my wife's '08 Mountaineer so updates are half price.

However, from what I recall, early '07's and before did not bring the vehicle speed sensor info to the radio the same way and some report having to acknowledge an error message when starting up. Also, note that Ford changed the antenna connector some time prior to '08 so you might need an adapter depending on what radio you get. The GPS antenna easily mounts under the dash (factory position was a clip onto the instrument cluster, but it is much easier to mount it on top of the heater box with double-faced tape and it gets a clear view through the windshield) and the rest of the plugs support the Shaker 500 Subs, but not the Shaker 1000 rear sub.
I couldn't imagine not having it now that I've installed mine. Luckily, since mine came from a running vehicle, and was set up for SYNC originally, it made it a no brainer to hook up the SYNC. I bought one of the eBay kits for SYNC, and thought that if I got the original control box, I'd be good. Wrong. It takes a second design box with the new kit. The original control, out of the kit, comes programmed to work, so I just kept that, and luckily everything worked right. The seller of the HU sent me the plugs for the radio also, so they were already wired correctly. I took out the 4 wires (out of the connectors he sent) and added enough wire to get to the c/spring plug. They (wires) went right into the connector and locked, so fitment was perfect. Having the plugs made it easy to do the job. Without them, it would of been a literal biatch. lol.

I went with a '13 Alcantra steering wheel so I could have the wheel controls. A lot of research came next, trying to update the system to the 2010 and newer clock spring set up but I seemed to be missing one small piece. I stayed with the original clockspring, then went to the 2 connector add on. My SYNC and my steering wheel controls now all work fine. Everyone of the writes ups, left off one important picture. Where and how the second connector hooked up to the s/w switches. They show a PAC connector use, but nothing for the original style. They all talk about hooking yours wires to the clockspring, but say or show nothing of what goes where or how the other connector is used.

When I find my flash drive, I'll post up the picts of what has to be hooked where in the s/w clockspring center. It's not hard, but finding and identifying the wires can be a bit tedious. You have at least 3 wires you'll use, or 5 (or 6 with SYNC) that get hooked up to have all the controls to work. It sounds hard, and can be without some extra guides. A couple good pictures will help. I ordered another s/wheel today, and when it gets here, will go ahead and do a bunch of pictures showing how to wire the controls inside the s/w. I don't want to rip apart what is already done on the 1st s/w for pictures, so another day or two won't hurt.

This is a great modification to our cars.

Last edited by akdoggie; 1/7/14 at 03:32 AM.
Old 1/9/14, 08:14 AM

Thank you for the replies. One quick question, does anybody know about the oemautopartsco.com nav systems? They seem kind of expensive but they say plug and play.
Old 1/9/14, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mustang07Michael
Thank you for the replies. One quick question, does anybody know about the oemautopartsco.com nav systems? They seem kind of expensive but they say plug and play.
Those do look really nice. I've been thinking about a Parrot Asteroid Smart for my Bullitt. It's only $450 and looks very plain and almost stock. I don't know how good it is though.
Old 1/10/14, 01:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

On another Mustang forum tonight, there is a factory 09 Mustang navigation head for sale out of wreck. It is programmed for the Mustang, so it would be plug and play if you have a Shaker 500 unit originally. The 1000's rear speakers won't work with it tho. Just a thought.
Old 1/10/14, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi. I don't have anything to ad about the navigation. I was curious about your mustang. I traded my v6 automatic convertible deluxe this summer in August. I'm in Texas. Is it redfire? I also had a CAI and a flowmaster exhaust on it. I know it is a long shot, but I had to ask.
Old 1/10/14, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by akdoggie
On another Mustang forum tonight, there is a factory 09 Mustang navigation head for sale out of wreck. It is programmed for the Mustang, so it would be plug and play if you have a Shaker 500 unit originally. The 1000's rear speakers won't work with it tho. Just a thought.
Link?
Old 1/10/14, 08:25 PM

No its performance white.
Old 1/11/14, 05:16 PM

I don't have the shaker audio system, mine is base stock. Does this require any addition steps or work? I am asking because I am trying to learn more about doing stuff to my car myself but I also don't want to ruin anything. I am just gauging whether I should take it to a shop that has more experience.
Old 1/12/14, 07:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Michael, when you have time look up the thread on Installing a navigation radio on a 2005 Mustang. It will give you all details on the pros and cons.

AL
Old 1/14/14, 08:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang07Michael
I only found the oem nav on their site. You can get those for half as much easy on ebay.
Old 1/17/14, 03:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mrp5150
Link?
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showt...ighlight=radio There is the link, but it is sold now. For some reason it came up in the new column the other day, but looks like it was about 3 weeks old. They are out there though. That particular one would have touchscreen only. Radio controls for the strg column would have to be programmed in. It came out of an 09 Bullitt.

Last edited by akdoggie; 1/17/14 at 03:59 AM.
Old 2/5/14, 09:00 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
can someone post pics of their 07 with this mod?
Id like to do this to mine but dunno where to start.
I love the idea of having a Sync system with touch screen in the car.
thanks.
Old 2/6/14, 09:52 PM
ccc

i have an 07 gt with a aftermarket kenwood touch screen with navi how do u tell if u have a shaker 1000 or a 500 im new to this only owned my stang for about 5 mo

Last edited by ccc; 2/6/14 at 09:54 PM.
Old 2/17/14, 10:46 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
so whatever happened to that write up?
Old 2/17/14, 10:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You will have subwoofers in the trunk if you have the 1000.
Old 2/17/14, 10:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Akdoggie,

All of the steering wheel buttons work? Cruise functions?
Old 2/19/14, 03:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by jim010
Akdoggie,

All of the steering wheel buttons work? Cruise functions?
Yes. Everything works perfectly. It took some serious research to find all the schematics from different vehicles to find what I wanted for information. I took the schematic for the 2009 Taurus radio head and the 09 Mustang heads and compared the wiring. The Mustang leaves out the strg wheel control wires in the harness. You have to add the + and - wires in plug J1 for SWC 1 (my head, others use SWC 2) and the + & - wires for the controls in plug J3. By using the add on SYNC kit, you don't have to add the wire for the microphone to the back of the head. That is controlled with the new harness and controller.

I've been sick for the past couple weeks, so this write up has been on the back burner. I'm still trying to find the flash drive with all the pictures, but when I do, I will post this up for everyone to see how it can be done. It really all comes down to the correct head to use. Using an #8 prefix head (ones with the chrome trim around the volume control usually) will make it easier to use in our Mustangs, in my opinion. It has Sirius available, and has the In Line selection, so you can use an Ipod, etc, and the SYNC add makes it so you can update by using the USB plug (in the 14D212 kit). It just makes it a win win situation when all is up working correctly.

Quick Reply: Adding a Navigation System to a 2007 Mustang