Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Yes, another CAI Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/13, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, another CAI Thread...

I really want to start off by saying I apologize for beating this topic of the head with questions even though it has been dead for months if not years...

That being said, I have a bone stock base 2014 ford mustang v6. Black/Black. I am looking into CAI's and really do not want to get a tune at the moment. Im trying to find out what is the best quality, best hp gains, best price, best you can buy, without tuning.

Any and all recommendations, pictures, stories, and brands would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all and Happy 7th.
Old 7/7/13, 05:37 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 7/7/13, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Le sigh. JLT CAI FTW.
Old 7/7/13, 08:53 PM

https://themustangsource.com/f801/pi...sh-cai-523213/

Just installed my Roush CAI .. Sounds great. Looks great. Performs great.
Old 7/8/13, 07:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We've had both the JLT & Airaid CAI's on a 100% stock 6'er auto, stock tune / exhaust.

JLT Carbon Fiber: Really nice looking piece, the CF look really pops! ..but it looks out of place in the stock engine bay unless you get other CF pieces to tie it in. The 'heat shield' might as well not be there and the point where the air tube goes through the 'heat shield' constantly rubs & vibrates no matter how we adjusted it. The WOT sound is beastly for a 6'er, but it resonates pretty bad in the higher RPM range and IMO sounded like ****. This could of been due to the 'heat shield'.. We never tried it without the HS installed. We ended up getting rid of this CAI after about 6 months when we found a good deal on the Airaid.

Airaid CAI: Not as nice looking as the CF finish of the JLT but, IMO the design fits in very well with the stock engine bay. Very well built piece and the 'heat shield' appears to be alot better thought out / solid / maybe even functional. We haven't noticed any rubbing or heard any vibrations / rattles. The WOT sound is good, but not nearly as beastly as the JLT.

That being said, I think the JLT had better gains, but this could just be because it was louder. We haven't been back to the track with the 6'er in a while. MPG is about the same across the board.. she has over 50,000 on the 2012 6'er already and is avg right around the 30mpg mark no matter if the OEM, JLT, or Airaid was on her.
Old 7/8/13, 08:25 PM
GT Member

I have the air raid and im a big fan of it, install was super easy, sound is great and it looks like something that should be in there from the factory
Old 7/14/13, 02:24 PM

Installed Airaid CAI

Last night after a 12 hour shift, I got home to a UPS delivery on my doorstep...As you can probably imagine I spent the next hour putting my airaid cold air intake in the car. Then at 2am, I went for a little test drive and wow...Did not expect that sound. I was grinning from ear to ear first time i tried WOT. No idea about gains...its a 2014 and I haven't dyno'd or tracked it...I just love the sound and even if its a placebo effect my car is faster...

Thanks for all the opinions guys!
Old 7/17/13, 10:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just installed the Airaid last night... not sure if I got a weird one out of the lot, but it was a pain in the *** to install. That said, once I drove it around, it does sound VERY nice

And pretty much instantly It feels like it has more power.. mine is an automatic, and usually never throws me back till I really hit the pedal and reach 3000 rpm... but now, pretty much the instant I press the pedal, it pulls bigtime! its definitely a lot of fun

Last edited by roadrunner; 7/17/13 at 10:08 AM.
Old 7/17/13, 10:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Airaid does make a quality piece that does not require a tune.

You can check one out here: http://www.steeda.com/store/airaid-2...e-268-450-265/

Once you are ready to tune ... you can easily add it to the set-up to get you maximize gains.

Product Benefits
Does not require custom tune
Up to 13 horsepower on factory tune
Up to 25 horsepower with custom tune
Easy direct bolt on installation

Let me know If I can help get you one?

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 7/17/13, 03:58 PM

Jonathan, YES THE INSTALL WAS A MAJOR PAIN, but totally worth it in the end. Literally looks like a factory fit...My problem areas were definitely the throttle body (Advice, get that on there before putting into box...) and the little rubber piece along with that 3 inch metal rod...Getting that on was literally impossible, but needed I guess for a no leak air flow. Overall, install was a PAIN, but incredibly happy now that it's done. Thanks again for all the advice guys...
Old 7/17/13, 05:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MustangMike94
Jonathan, YES THE INSTALL WAS A MAJOR PAIN, but totally worth it in the end. Literally looks like a factory fit...My problem areas were definitely the throttle body (Advice, get that on there before putting into box...) and the little rubber piece along with that 3 inch metal rod...Getting that on was literally impossible, but needed I guess for a no leak air flow. Overall, install was a PAIN, but incredibly happy now that it's done. Thanks again for all the advice guys...

HOW!?!?!?!?! lol. I mean how did you get it in there with the little metal rod?? I kept trying till I just pushed all I could, and ended up tearing the grommet halfway. now I fear it might finish tearing and get sucked into the engine. Im gonna pass by home depot and get another grommet, but I still don't know how to get it in. Airaid tech suggested dish soap lol...

idk if that will work, but can you pm me step by step how you got it in please?
Old 7/18/13, 04:14 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangMike94
I really want to start off by saying I apologize for beating this topic of the head with questions even though it has been dead for months if not years...

That being said, I have a bone stock base 2014 ford mustang v6. Black/Black. I am looking into CAI's and really do not want to get a tune at the moment. Im trying to find out what is the best quality, best hp gains, best price, best you can buy, without tuning.

Any and all recommendations, pictures, stories, and brands would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all and Happy 7th.
If your not going to buy a performance tuner, don't bother buying a CAI. It will do almost nothing for you except leave your checking account 300 bucks lighter. If you want a cooler sound when wot for the 300 bucks then the CAI is a winner. For power gains you can feel the CAI is great when you have a performance tuner.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 7/18/13 at 04:21 AM.
Old 7/21/13, 02:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Agreed, getting a tune along with it makes all the difference. So much smoother and the power band has a smooth uphill climb that is anywhere from 2-15 hp over a stock pull.