Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

My First Mustang Ever! 2014 V6 - Help with Mods

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/13, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My First Mustang Ever! 2014 V6 - Help with Mods

Hey everybody, I just purchased my first ever Mustang (v6) at 19 after driving a Honda Civic for the last 3 years...As you can probably imagine that is a big difference in vehicles.

My Mustang is stock everything except for upgraded gear ratio. Otherwise it is a base V6 Ford Mustang.

I am saving up for additions and modifications to my new car. I just need some advice... What do I do first? I would like to upgrade performance, sound and looks if i can, but Sound and Performance are first.

Basically, I have a new Black on Black Mustang and need help to see where I should go from here. All suggestions are greatly appreciated! What will give me the best bang for my buck?

Thanks, Michael.
Old 5/26/13, 12:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What gears do you have in it? I'd get exhaust first, it'll help with performance and sound.
Old 5/26/13, 12:41 AM

3.31 gears. I am looking into exhaust, CAI, tinting, and upgrading my sound system. Anymore suggestions? Keep in mind that I am a 19 year old that had to max out finances just to get my stang. Definitely have to save up for anything I do, but what is most important?
Old 5/26/13, 01:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MustangMike94
3.31 gears. I am looking into exhaust, CAI, tinting, and upgrading my sound system. Anymore suggestions? Keep in mind that I am a 19 year old that had to max out finances just to get my stang. Definitely have to save up for anything I do, but what is most important?
I'm actually 19 too. There's different things to consider when choosing mods. From what you listed, exhaust would be the most satisfying mod. (at least to me). A CAI is nice, but some people think it isn't worth the money without a tune as well. Tinting is a fairly cheap way to make your car look a lot better. I would never upgrade my stock speakers since I'm happy with what I have. If you think It's worth the money, go for it. That's just one more thing you need to consider. What's most important is up to you.
Old 5/26/13, 06:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Get FRPP sport axle backs
Old 5/27/13, 09:24 AM
Cobra Member

If you want performance I would suggest cai and a tune will give you the best gain to start off with. As for sound it all depends on how loud you want it to be honest. Best way to decide is to see if you can listen to other Mustang owners who have aftermarket exhaust in your area. Listen to youtube videos didn't do it for me. I couldn't decide that way. I really like the set-up I'm running now (see sig block) and will probably do something similar when my new Stang arrives. I'm not sure how much hp I'm making now but its gonna be at least 310 rwhp. Haven't put it on a dyno yet.
Old 5/27/13, 04:36 PM

I'd start with 3.73 gears.
Old 5/27/13, 07:06 PM
Former Vendor

I would look into getting a tune and axle backs. The benefit you get from a CAI doesn't always justify the cost... especially on a budget. The savings from not buying a CAI will allow you to purchase a set of springs and an adj phb. Depending on what springs you order a good alignment shop can get you into spec without the need of camber bolts or cc plates. Eibach Pro kit is a good example of not needing a set of cc plates or cc bolts.
Old 5/27/13, 07:19 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MustangMike94
Sound systems won't increase performance. How ever if your not really worried about gas mileage you could put steeper gears like 4.10 with a ,CIA, Tune that would give you pretty good increases in performance.
Old 5/28/13, 03:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
0) Window tint (more for controlling heat in the car than the appearance factor). Also, get ceramic tint. It's the best tint you can buy. I think it cost a little over $300 to tint my 2012.

1) Wheels/tires. To keep tires as inexpensive as possible, go with 18's. $1500 or less if you stick with 18's and don't get real fancy on the wheels.

2) Upgrade the front brakes to GT rotors/calipers. You can get a complete set of front GT brakes from Roush for $125. GT rotors will NOT fit the V6 17-inch wheels, and that's why I recommended wheels/tires before brakes.

3) Lowering - do the springs AND the shocks/struts. American Muscle sells the Eibach Pro System Plus suspension kit (shocks, springs, sway bars) for $880. You'll also need to replace the front strut mounts, and this will be another $120.

4) Axle-backs (this is going to be the hardest thing to select). $300-700.
Old 5/30/13, 09:05 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jsimmons
You can get a complete set of front GT brakes from Roush for $125.
Link please ?

BTW, I agree with all you said above. I've done all of those and then some to mine, except the brakes...yet.
Old 6/1/13, 06:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MCA Coonass
Link please ?

BTW, I agree with all you said above. I've done all of those and then some to mine, except the brakes...yet.
Roush Overstock on Ebay

I don't buy things off ebay, so I called up roush and ordered my calipers over then phone. You only needed the brackets, but getting a set of take-off calipers from Roush is $50 cheaper than ordering new brackets from Ford, and GT front rotors from Roush are $50 per SET.
Old 6/1/13, 02:44 PM
V6 Member

Thanks
Old 8/20/13, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is what I did:

1) Tint - Makes the car look better, much cooler inside (I live in Florida), and provides some privacy to boot.

2) Roush Stage 1 - actually bought it with this. It looks awesome, distinguishes yourself from normal Mustangs, and increases the value. Also got the Roush floor mats at same time, great upgrade. They don't slide around, feel way better, and don't have that disgusting off-black color.

3) HID kit - bought then sold. Didn't like the blue color, it shows up great on signs but not on roads. My advice is stick to OEM if you do it, but it makes visibility much better and gives a nice look. Make sure you get ones that are capped so you don't blind oncoming traffic.

4) Sound system - I had the base sound system and it was horrible. Upgraded probably too far, but it sounds amazing. ALSO with this I put in a rear view camera, awesome investment. I'm already a good parker, but it gives piece of mind, especially with the tint at night.

My next mods are going to be some spacers for the PP wheels (so I can install Brembos) and a panhard bar/roll center adjuster kit to get the rear suspension dialed in. My car is the Performance Package (PP), so it came with the gears, GT suspension and brakes already, otherwise I would've focused on upgrading those to start. I'm hesitant to mess with the tune, or really anything power-related, until either the warranty is up or I go all out. I would not mess with it at 19, this car already has plenty of power to have fun with.
Old 8/21/13, 10:17 PM

1) window tint
2) lowering springs/ panhandle bar
3) cai/tune
4) exhaust
Old 8/22/13, 02:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a stock base as well. I decided to go with appearance first since these mustangs already have dual exhaust and 300+ hp. The day after I got mine, rims were the first thing I did followed by a drop. Drastically changes the whole look of the car. There are so many Mustangs all over Phoenix and I would say over 80% are bone stock. I wanted mine to stand out from the others. Tune and exhaust are going to make your car slightly faster than stock, but it that's about it. It will also set you about about a grand, so will wheels and tires. I paid about $1400 for my setup, it can be more or less depending on where you are located and what kind of deals you can find.

Here is a pic of my car now. When I got it, it was bone stock and just had a spoiler. I've probably spent about $3500 for everything since I did all the labor myself in the garage. My signature has all my mods listed. I did it little by little over the course of a few months.

Name:  IMG_0248_zpse1193946.jpg
Views: 8543
Size:  137.0 KB
Old 8/22/13, 02:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
BTW one of the best and cheapest mods I did was the Steeda shift bracket. It is night and day compared to stock. It shifts so much cleaner. I found a guy on Craig's List selling his for $45, but I am pretty sure it is less than $100 from AM or other sites. I know if I was 19 and had this car, I would be racing all over town and revving at every car at all the stoplights. This can really help shifting, if you have a manual.
Old 8/22/13, 06:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Michael,

You have to decide what your budget is (knowing your maxed it out to purchase your vehicle) ... and what you are looking to accomplish short term/long term.

Do you want a car that sounds great ... or do you want a car that has the added extra HP?

A tune and CAI is a great way to get some extra power quickly ... very nice upgrade ... and very easy to do ... no shop time.

Shoot me an email if you would like to talk about some options off-line. You can reach me at tim@steeda.com

Best Regards,

TJ