Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/16, 08:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
Thank you!

The speedo is currently possessed, we think it might be reading boost?
Watched the video again and I think you are right! Looks like RPM is reading correctly. Very odd that the speedo would pick up something like boost. Almost makes me wonder if swapping in a GT500 cluster would help at all since it has a dedicated boost gauge.
Old 2/14/16, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by zackmd1
Watched the video again and I think you are right! Looks like RPM is reading correctly. Very odd that the speedo would pick up something like boost. Almost makes me wonder if swapping in a GT500 cluster would help at all since it has a dedicated boost gauge.
We have the gt500 cluster. However that wouldn't change anything as the speedo header seems to get something else from the PCM like boost. That would be the same with any mustang cluster.

LEXiiON
Old 2/14/16, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
I have one sitting here, I planned on changing it out once we got things dialed in.
Old 2/15/16, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW! She sounds good!!!!! That's gonna turn some heads of people who have no clue what they're hearing. I love how it sounds like some Euro or Japanese performance car. Freaking awesome!!!!!!!
Old 2/15/16, 06:19 AM
V6 Member

I have one sitting here, I planned on changing it out once we got things dialed in.
I have the GT500 cluster in my GT and can say the speedo works normaly so they are using the same address, and the boost gauge shows nothing so it is on its own address as far as mustangs go.

BTW great project guys, cant wait to see a WOT video.

Last edited by Slowb00st; 2/15/16 at 06:21 AM.
Old 2/15/16, 07:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Sounds WAY better than Ford's flatulent Mustang Ecoboost!
Old 2/15/16, 08:17 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by GLOCKer
WOW! I love how it sounds like some Euro or Japanese performance car. Freaking awesome!!!!!!!
These words should never be spoken about a Mustang ever! Sacrilegious!!!
Old 2/15/16, 08:20 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
WOW! She sounds good!!!!! That's gonna turn some heads of people who have no clue what they're hearing. I love how it sounds like some Euro or Japanese performance car. Freaking awesome!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by 5LHO
Sounds WAY better than Ford's flatulent Mustang Ecoboost!
Thanks I'm very happy with the sound from my little V6!

Imo it sounds much better in person than those videos represent, there's a few things the camera isn't picking up. When the car is idling around or going slow the sound is deep, almost like a small displacement v8. I'm very happy with that.

You don't really hear it on camera but the turbos are loud compared to my truck. When shifting gears or letting off the gas the BOV are very noticeable too despite being dumped in to the air intake piping. I had considered venting them to atmosphere but they are loud enough for me now.

Soon we can take a WOT fly-by video!

Last edited by Ecostang; 2/15/16 at 10:40 AM.
Old 2/15/16, 08:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good to see it up and running, I think it sounds spot on with a nice rumble. The sound does change dramatically at WOT, which I cant wait to hear by the way. Your car looks and sounds awesome, I dig the 3.5 badging as well. I have to commend you on your patience with this build. I know it's a labor of love but I don't think I could have made it through the first week. Good job!! looking forward to seeing it run hard.

Last edited by Rodsmustang; 2/15/16 at 08:39 AM. Reason: added a word
Old 2/15/16, 09:52 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks man!

If I had to do this alone the story would be quite different and I wouldn't be driving the car by now. It's really been a group effort between me, Lexiion, and Matt at hptuners. I'm extremely proud of what we have accomplished so far, we have created a one-of-a-kind mustang....at least for now . In a sea of mustangs, literally millions of cars, we were able to create something unique.

Old 2/15/16, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks man!

If I had to do this alone the story would be quite different and I wouldn't be driving the car by now. It's really been a group effort between me, Lexiion, and Matt at hptuners. I'm extremely proud of what we have accomplished so far, we have created a one-of-a-kind mustang....at least for now . In a sea of mustangs, literally millions of cars, we were able to create something unique.

An amazing effort by all of you, congrats again! I am certain others will now follow in your footsteps, so many thanks for sharing all the info!

Stephen, great project! You are a driven individual that will stop at nothing to make your vision into reality! Your paint and fab work are second to none.

Lexiion, I do wiring to help guys install 3.5L Ecoboost and 5.0L Coyotes with 6R80 autos into street rods and classic trucks, I am totally impressed with what you have done here to integrate the F150 engine controls into the 2010 Mustang. I know just how not easy that must have been, you are THE man!

Matt, I know a ton of guys are so so grateful that you have unlocked the PATS on these 2011-2014 Ford PCMs. I have used HP tuning software on GM systems in the past and now I am really looking forward to doing so with these Ford motors.

Can't wait to see more pics and videos, as well as maybe some dyno numbers and time slips!!!

Walt
Old 2/15/16, 03:55 PM

Thanks man!

Any chance I could speak to you over the phone ? I've been building a 68 mustang with an ecoboost swap for a bit now on a 6r80. Been having issues with the PATS system. Could really use some help as to any suggestions on wiring/programming.
Old 2/15/16, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
I can help you with the PATS. No need for a dealer.

LEXiiON

Any chance you could help me with the PATS ? I'm doing a 3.5 ecoboost swap myself and have been lost for a bit dealing with the ECM
Old 2/15/16, 04:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by axarkpatel@gmail.com
Any chance you could help me with the PATS ? I'm doing a 3.5 ecoboost swap myself and have been lost for a bit dealing with the ECM
Best thing to do is to contact HPtuners. They can fix that for you.

LEXiiON
Old 2/15/16, 05:38 PM

We have the gt500 cluster. However that wouldn't change anything as the speedo header seems to get something else from the PCM like boost. That would be the same with any mustang cluster.

LEXiiON
Ahh ok... Did not know if that would help or not!

And I agree with everyone here. The car sounds great!!! Might just have to get a pair of those axle backs and adapt them for use on my 2015 3.7 V6. Likely will not sound nearly as good but still will be worth it especially for the quad tips.
Old 2/15/16, 06:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by walt460
An amazing effort by all of you, congrats again! I am certain others will now follow in your footsteps, so many thanks for sharing all the info!

Stephen, great project! You are a driven individual that will stop at nothing to make your vision into reality! Your paint and fab work are second to none.

Lexiion, I do wiring to help guys install 3.5L Ecoboost and 5.0L Coyotes with 6R80 autos into street rods and classic trucks, I am totally impressed with what you have done here to integrate the F150 engine controls into the 2010 Mustang. I know just how not easy that must have been, you are THE man!

Matt, I know a ton of guys are so so grateful that you have unlocked the PATS on these 2011-2014 Ford PCMs. I have used HP tuning software on GM systems in the past and now I am really looking forward to doing so with these Ford motors.

Can't wait to see more pics and videos, as well as maybe some dyno numbers and time slips!!!

Walt
Thanks for all the kind words Walt

Just don't look to close at my paint
Old 2/15/16, 06:54 PM
Cobra Member

Best thing to do is to contact HPtuners. They can fix that for you.

LEXiiON

I can't help you with PATS but hptuners can turn it off for you.
Old 2/15/16, 06:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by axarkpatel@gmail.com
Any chance I could speak to you over the phone ? I've been building a 68 mustang with an ecoboost swap for a bit now on a 6r80. Been having issues with the PATS system. Could really use some help as to any suggestions on wiring/programming.
I'll answer your PM shortly, we can talk. I have to admit though I'm not your guy for wiring/programming, that was almost completely Lexiion.
Old 2/15/16, 07:24 PM
Cobra Member

Ahh ok... Did not know if that would help or not!

And I agree with everyone here. The car sounds great!!! Might just have to get a pair of those axle backs and adapt them for use on my 2015 3.7 V6. Likely will not sound nearly as good but still will be worth it especially for the quad tips.
Yours would sound nearly the same, minus the turbo noise. Basically the 3.7 and the 3.5 is the same motor just with turbos. The 3.5 has forged bottom end and different pistons, but that doesn't change the sound. There's lots of clips with 3.7s with those mufflers, that's what made me want to use the gt500 quad tips. I bought mine on eBay for $150 for the pair! Here's a sound clip of a 3.7 I really like.

Old 2/15/16, 07:37 PM
Cobra Member

I got an interesting email from Geoff at full-race today. With their Ford GT bolt-on turbos he had some impressive results on an already modded f150 ecoboost. Guess I know which turbos I'm getting

http://www.full-race.com/store/image...content-13.jpg

stock turbos and full boltons + tune (375whp dotted line)
VS
adding our bolton turbos at 18.7psi (475whp solid line)
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap