Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/15, 08:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
After I decided to do this project with the 3.5 ecoboost I found out they are using this engine in the GT, raptor, formula 1 race car, and now this. It's very validating and exciting to see this engine being used for performance instead of pulling trailers in a F150. This is more verification that this will be a badass race car, and I think it's going to sound amazing after listening to the RXC. Here these specs for the car. Weighs 2000 lbs and utilizes water-cooled turbos!

The RXC Turbo 500 is the culmination of five years’ development to create a road-legal track car unlike any other. The latest engine management and forced induction technology has been utilised to raise the performance bar even higher, with the new model delivering over 530bhp at 6,100rpm and an incredible 481lbft at 5,000rpm, endowing the car with a power-to-weight ratio of over 462bhp per tonne – well in excess of established supercar models.

In-gear acceleration and response improves dramatically as a result, with an RXC now accelerating from 0-100mph in just 6.8 seconds, and mid-range acceleration from 40-80mph in a class-leading 3.0 seconds. Coupling this astounding performance with Radical’s trademark lightweight, high-stiffness chassis technology and advanced Le Mans-honed aerodynamics, has resulted in a road car with performance capabilities that exceed those of dedicated racing cars.

The RXC Turbo 500 upgrade package includes:

> Twin high-performance water-cooled Garrett GT28 turbochargers fitted with steel ball bearing cartridges, and specially designed anti-surge compressor housings

> Owen Developments twin-phase anodised actuators for precise boost control

> New custom-designed heat shields fitted to reduce engine bay temperatures

> Re-machined, fluid optimised intake manifold upgraded to contain six high-performance Ford fuel injectors. The addition of these allows for performance staged, secondary port injection that improves fuel atomisation at higher engine speeds with increased flow rates

> Twin additional fuel rail upgrade with new motorsport fuel lines

>Upgraded race proven fuel regulator

> New high-flow Ni-Resist alloy exhaust manifolds designed to improve the exhaust flow rate, providing maximum turbine speeds, reduced spool time and improving top end performance

> New large-diameter motorsport-specification exhaust system, with improved flow rate

> LIFE engine management system mapping upgrade optimised to the increased power output for ultimate performance and drivability
Attached Images  
Old 9/22/15, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
I've been out of town and not feeling well since I got back so not much progress on the car until this afternoon. Got the gt500 fuel tank in today and also the pinion flange swapped out on the rear end. I'm very close to having the shifter and driveshaft installed which means I'll have all the drivetrain in the car and ready to go. I'm ordering a whiteline rear sway bar to finish up the rear end.

Projects left to complete for phase 1
1. Have custom exhaust pieces made to attach the ecoboost exhaust to the mustang exhaust.
2. Custom piece of turbo piping to connect intercoolers to intake of ecoboost.
3. Customize wiring harnesses, includes integrating f150 bcm in to mustang.
4. Customize airaid intake pipe to accept 4" elbow, then attach huge air filter.
5. Install new intercooler water piping and new intercooler pump.
6. Add brake lineloc, gt500 front brakes, f150 abs module, add racing fluid and bleed brakes.
7. Install shifter, driveshaft, rear sway bar to finish drivetrain swap.
8. Install gt500 differential cooler, pump, tubing etc.
9. Paint body parts and get them installed.

Phase 2 will include full race suspension upgrade, turbos upgraded to ford GT turbos, fuel injection upgrade, engine pulled and rebuilt for 700+ HP, widen all 4 wheels, roll cage.
That RXC is a really neat car. Would be fun to own.

You mentioned Phase 2 upgrade to Ford GT turbo's.

I already picked up a pair for my project.

Still following your build. So cool . .
Old 9/23/15, 04:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
After I decided to do this project with the 3.5 ecoboost I found out they are using this engine in the GT, raptor, formula 1 race car, and now this. It's very validating and exciting to see this engine being used for performance instead of pulling trailers in a F150. This is more verification that this will be a badass race car, and I think it's going to sound amazing after listening to the RXC. Here these specs for the car. Weighs 2000 lbs and utilizes water-cooled turbos!

The RXC Turbo 500 is the culmination of five years’ development to create a road-legal track car unlike any other. The latest engine management and forced induction technology has been utilised to raise the performance bar even higher, with the new model delivering over 530bhp at 6,100rpm and an incredible 481lbft at 5,000rpm, endowing the car with a power-to-weight ratio of over 462bhp per tonne – well in excess of established supercar models.

In-gear acceleration and response improves dramatically as a result, with an RXC now accelerating from 0-100mph in just 6.8 seconds, and mid-range acceleration from 40-80mph in a class-leading 3.0 seconds. Coupling this astounding performance with Radical’s trademark lightweight, high-stiffness chassis technology and advanced Le Mans-honed aerodynamics, has resulted in a road car with performance capabilities that exceed those of dedicated racing cars.

The RXC Turbo 500 upgrade package includes:

> Twin high-performance water-cooled Garrett GT28 turbochargers fitted with steel ball bearing cartridges, and specially designed anti-surge compressor housings

> Owen Developments twin-phase anodised actuators for precise boost control

> New custom-designed heat shields fitted to reduce engine bay temperatures

> Re-machined, fluid optimised intake manifold upgraded to contain six high-performance Ford fuel injectors. The addition of these allows for performance staged, secondary port injection that improves fuel atomisation at higher engine speeds with increased flow rates

> Twin additional fuel rail upgrade with new motorsport fuel lines

>Upgraded race proven fuel regulator

> New high-flow Ni-Resist alloy exhaust manifolds designed to improve the exhaust flow rate, providing maximum turbine speeds, reduced spool time and improving top end performance

> New large-diameter motorsport-specification exhaust system, with improved flow rate

> LIFE engine management system mapping upgrade optimised to the increased power output for ultimate performance and drivability
Do you have any more info on this setup? A link or something? Any idea what they're running for a water pump? Very cool.
Attached Images  
Old 9/23/15, 09:36 AM
Cobra Member

Whoa!!!! Check this out! Incredible.

820 HP v6 ecoboost
https://vimeo.com/91425524
Old 9/23/15, 10:15 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Dig it!
Old 9/23/15, 08:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by sqidd
Do you have any more info on this setup? A link or something? Any idea what they're running for a water pump? Very cool.
This was all I found so far
Old 9/23/15, 08:11 PM
Cobra Member

I'm putting in a f150 abs module, I bought a used module with a bracket. I decided to take the original bracket and the f150 bracket and make one. Here's a pic of the 2 brackets.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpg  
Old 9/23/15, 08:14 PM
Cobra Member

Here's a pic of the combined bracket, I chopped up the f150 bracket and welded it on the mustang bracket.
Old 9/23/15, 08:24 PM
Cobra Member

Of course the f150 and the mustang have different threads on the brake lines, one is standard thread and the other is metric. I'll have to cut the flares off the brake lines, swap the nuts, flare them again before I can screw them in to the f150 abs module. I also need to bend 2 of the brake lines with a 90 turn, the f150 module has 2 connections on the side.

Last edited by Ecostang; 9/23/15 at 09:21 PM.
Old 9/24/15, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by sqidd
DanZio Performance
506 Central Avenue
Lake Elsinore
CA, 92530
Tel: +01 951-245-2537
info@danzioperformance.com
Old 9/27/15, 07:52 PM
Cobra Member

Started installing the ecoboost harnesses in to the mustang, went supringly well.

Headlights, park lights, horns, AC line switch, plugged in directly to the f150 harness.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  
Old 9/27/15, 08:08 PM
Cobra Member

The F150 fuse box mounts in the center of the front, just over the radiator. I don't have any room there so I decided to put it just inside the bumper. You will be able to see the top cover of the fuse box inside the bumper, I really don't care. It saves lots and lots of time extending wires if I put the f150 fuse box in the original mustang location....nothing on the drivers side would have reached. Might block a little air, not too concerned about it. I have a gt500 fan and dual fans on the heat exchanger, I should be good to go. Plus the box doesn't touch the a/c condenser, there is room for airflow around it.

I'll wrap everything in wire loom once I get it all installed.

Last edited by Ecostang; 9/27/15 at 11:30 PM.
Old 9/27/15, 08:13 PM
Cobra Member

I pulled out the factory ecu and the factory fuse box, both are going in different locations. I'll be able to drop the battery in here instead of putting it in the trunk. Just so happens that the ecoboost wire harness has the battery in this location already, I just need to build a shelf for the battery to sit on.

Last edited by Ecostang; 9/27/15 at 11:32 PM.
Old 9/27/15, 08:17 PM
Cobra Member

Instead of running the harness through the fender-well like it was from the factory, I ran it inside the engine bay just like the f150. I cut a hole in the apron to get the wires out of the engine bay and used the factory holes to route the wires inside the cabin. . Again I'll add wire loom to protect the wires once the entire harness is installed. I also have the factory boots that will seal the hole in the firewall, I'll install it with the wire loom.

Last edited by Ecostang; 9/27/15 at 11:37 PM.
Old 9/28/15, 06:12 AM

I'm liking the progress! You're one step closer to posting a burnout video with this car!
Old 9/29/15, 09:54 PM
Cobra Member

F150 abs module is mounted. All the brake lines have been cut, nuts changed, and flared again and it's been plugged in to the harness. Hopefully no leaks!
Old 10/3/15, 08:00 PM
Cobra Member

Sometimes I wonder what the F*** was I thinking haha
Old 10/3/15, 08:03 PM
Cobra Member

I had to change out the vacuum line connection to the brake booster with the one from the F150, it has a check valve and a sensor. It fit without any problems.
Old 10/3/15, 08:05 PM
Cobra Member

Here's a pic installed.
Old 10/3/15, 08:08 PM
Cobra Member

I worked most of the day on getting the wire harness in. Some things plugged up and some needed the connectors from the mustang wire harness to be spliced in. By the end of the day tomorrow 95% of the wiring will be done under the hood.

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap