'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/15, 01:11 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Hey guys, I'm lost as to whats going on but love this thread.
However, I do know, if you have a run of 1" pipe. Lets just say 2 feet long and then reduce it down to 3/4" at any point, you will only be able to flow the volume that a 3/4 pipe can handle. Which makes the 1" pipe flowing the same GPM as the 3/4". Bottom line is you can only flow so much liquid as the smallest port. The system will dictate the volume of flow. This holds true with a pump or no pump. This is what is know as a restriction.

Take 20 feet of 2" pipe and at 19 feet you install a 1" x 2" adpater and finish the run with 2" pipe. You will only be able to push through that 2" pipe is what a 1" pipe will allow. Same holds true if you went the other way. 2" pipe with an adpater of 2"x3". You will only be able to pass what a 2" pipe can handle.

I'm a Plumber and this is plumbing 101. Even if you push 101 through 102, it will still come out 101. Lol
Hope I was able to help.
Old 9/14/15, 01:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by sqidd
Those Rule pumps are useless with restrictions, and you can't eliminate your restrictions. Two pumps won't work any better than one.

I hate to say it because it's not what you want to hear, but there is no "budget" way of getting your system to perform like you need it to. If I was you I would run the Lingenfelter pump and as much 1" line as possible and be done with it. Short of gauging up the IC's and HE that is as good as it will get.
It is what it is. Thanks for the advice I'll be using it, I'll track down a new pump and use 1" without insulation. I'll see how much of an issue condensation is, I may use a spray on insulation instead.
Old 9/14/15, 01:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by boss man
However, I do know, if you have a run of 1" pipe. Lets just say 2 feet long and then reduce it down to 3/4" at any point, you will only be able to flow the volume that a 3/4 pipe can handle. Which makes the 1" pipe flowing the same GPM as the 3/4". Bottom line is you can only flow so much liquid as the smallest port. The system will dictate the volume of flow. This holds true with a pump or no pump. This is what is know as a restriction.

Take 20 feet of 2" pipe and at 19 feet you install a 1" x 2" adpater and finish the run with 2" pipe. You will only be able to push through that 2" pipe is what a 1" pipe will allow. Same holds true if you went the other way. 2" pipe with an adpater of 2"x3". You will only be able to pass what a 2" pipe can handle.

I'm a Plumber and this is plumbing 101. Even if you push 101 through 102, it will still come out 101. Lol
Hope I was able to help.
Thanks for the input. Your absolutely right except in this situation we aren't approaching the max flow rate of either the 3/4" or 1". If we're were pushing more water we would certainly be limited to the max flow rate of the smallest size pipe in the design, pressure plays a lot in to the equation.

Last edited by Ecostang; 9/14/15 at 09:29 PM.
Old 9/14/15, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by boss man

Hope I was able to help.
I have a ton of real test data that says your wrong about your restriction assumptions.
Old 9/15/15, 12:18 AM
Cobra Member

Those Rule pumps are useless with restrictions, and you can't eliminate your restrictions. Two pumps won't work any better than one.

I hate to say it because it's not what you want to hear, but there is no "budget" way of getting your system to perform like you need it to. If I was you I would run the Lingenfelter pump and as much 1" line as possible and be done with it. Short of gauging up the IC's and HE that is as good as it will get.
I found this,
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lp...MobileSwitchNo

And this,
http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...E#.Vfe2W3BOKrV

I'm assuming you are referring to the first pump but I wanted to double check before ordering something. Price isnt bad at all unless it's the second pump. Thanks
Old 9/15/15, 05:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ecostang
I found this,
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lp...MobileSwitchNo

And this,

I'm assuming you are referring to the first pump but I wanted to double check before ordering something. Price isnt bad at all unless it's the second pump. Thanks
It's the second pump that you need. The first one is weak.

And this,
Old 9/15/15, 07:24 AM
Cobra Member

It's the second pump that you need. The first one is weak.

And this,
Ok got it, looks like a very nice pump. Thanks again for the help, I'm glad I didn't spend to much time finishing something that won't work. I guess I have a couple extra pumps now!

Last edited by Ecostang; 9/15/15 at 08:12 AM.
Old 9/15/15, 08:12 AM
Cobra Member

Btw just to be clear this is a Stewart emp pump with lingenfelter programming. This pump can be bought $100 less from Stewart without the programming. I contacted Stewart to ask what is involved in reprogramming the pump, maybe I can do it myself and save $100.

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/ind...&product_id=71
Old 9/15/15, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Btw just to be clear this is a Stewart emp pump with lingenfelter programming. This pump can be bought $100 less from Stewart without the programming. I contacted Stewart to ask what is involved in reprogramming the pump, maybe I can do it myself and save $100.

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/ind...&product_id=71
As far as I know Lingenfelter (LFP) is the only one doing the programming. The LFP is the one to go with.
Old 9/15/15, 07:24 PM
Cobra Member

As far as I know Lingenfelter (LFP) is the only one doing the programming. The LFP is the one to go with.
So I contacted Stewart and they said the programming they include with the pump is the max capacity. The LFP version of the pump pulls 12 amps, while the Stewart version pulls 24 amps. The customer service rep told me they can supply the tool to change the flow rate myself if I wanted to. It's $100 cheaper and is apparently set higher at a higher flow rate than the LFP pump, unless I missed something.

Can my alternator handle 24 amps?
Old 9/15/15, 07:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received some goodies today....

Gt500 rad fan
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpg  
Old 9/15/15, 07:34 PM
Cobra Member

Gt500 track pack differential cooler, I can't believe I scored this. I've never seen another one for sale.
Old 9/15/15, 07:54 PM
Cobra Member

F150 abs module, this will require some custom brake lines to make it work.
Old 9/15/15, 08:02 PM
Cobra Member

I bought a used 3.5 ecoboost factory y pipe for the exhaust. I cut off the flanges with a short section of pipe to have something to connect a custom pipe to. The custom piece will go from here to the mustang x pipe. I will have some high flow cats installed in the custom pieces.

I was very concerned about these not fitting, it's definitely tight. If they didn't fit it could mean new exhaust manifolds.
Old 9/15/15, 08:05 PM
Cobra Member

2014 Gt500 fuel tank with dual pumps.
Old 9/15/15, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

So I contacted Stewart and they said the programming they include with the pump is the max capacity. The LFP version of the pump pulls 12 amps, while the Stewart version pulls 24 amps. The customer service rep told me they can supply the tool to change the flow rate myself if I wanted to. It's $100 cheaper and is apparently set higher at a higher flow rate than the LFP pump, unless I missed something.

Can my alternator handle 24 amps?
You have that 100% backward, LOL.
Old 9/15/15, 08:37 PM
Cobra Member

You have that 100% backward, LOL.
Well I see that the lingenfelter pump gives a flow rating at 12 amps but not any higher, but they do state a 25 amp max amp draw. I would say they could be a little more clear on their end about the pump performance.

Stewart sent me a 20 page instruction manual with all the specs, they come with the max rating already programmed in. I don't see how I'm getting anything better spending the extra $100. I can spend a few more dollars and I can program the pump myself. Am I missing something? Is lingenfelter over driving the pump?
Old 9/15/15, 08:39 PM
Cobra Member

Got the radiator fan installed, the intercoolers fit! I've got about 1/4" clearance.
Old 9/15/15, 09:01 PM
Cobra Member

I finally got the rotors to do the gt500 rear brake upgrade, threw on some new racing pads.
Old 9/15/15, 09:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How you manage to get any work done on this project, take pictures, document your work, post on this forum, research parts, do more research, not to mention the rest of any and all real life activities astonishes me. Thanks for doing this, its definitely a cool project.

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap