Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/15, 09:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
How you manage to get any work done on this project, take pictures, document your work, post on this forum, research parts, do more research, not to mention the rest of any and all real life activities astonishes me. Thanks for doing this, its definitely a cool project.
thanks

What's impressive is that my wife is ok with it! We should all be thanking her lol, without her semi-approval none of this could be possible...I do say semi-approval because that's true, tolerate may be more accurate haha

I'm only spending about 6-8 hrs a week to get this amount of work done, pretty easy to do that. Maybe an extra few hours at night on the iPad researching parts.
Old 9/16/15, 03:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
Well I see that the lingenfelter pump gives a flow rating at 12 amps but not any higher, but they do state a 25 amp max amp draw. I would say they could be a little more clear on their end about the pump performance.

Stewart sent me a 20 page instruction manual with all the specs, they come with the max rating already programmed in. I don't see how I'm getting anything better spending the extra $100. I can spend a few more dollars and I can program the pump myself. Am I missing something? Is lingenfelter over driving the pump?
IDK how Stewart is claiming that their pump is maxed out. Check out this data?

Note the flow rates on your system will be different because your restrictions will be different. But the data is scale-able.

My LPE pumps draw about 25 amps.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/LPEforum...esting-results
Old 9/16/15, 06:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
How you manage to get any work done on this project, take pictures, document your work, post on this forum, research parts, do more research, not to mention the rest of any and all real life activities astonishes me. Thanks for doing this, its definitely a cool project.
Motivation is a key factor. A highly motivated individual can literally move mountains to achieve his goal. It only took 28 calendar days for me to swap my 3.7/auto for a Windsor/Tremec.
Old 9/16/15, 06:21 AM
Cobra Member

BTW, this warrants being a sticky thread. This is almost ( ) as cool as my swap.
Old 9/16/15, 07:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jsimmons
Motivation is a key factor. A highly motivated individual can literally move mountains to achieve his goal. It only took 28 calendar days for me to swap my 3.7/auto for a Windsor/Tremec.
Very true, ive been in this project for 6 months now working off and on. I have so much fun working on it I will actually be disappointed somewhat when the car is finished.

I read your build thread several months ago, at least most of it, very cool upgrade for sure! I can't remember, how did you get the rest of the car to work? What I mean by that is does your abs work, gauges work, windshield wipers, body control module still running? The reason I ask is because I'm not sure I could use the ecoboost control pack and the factory ecu together to make the car work. How did you do it?
Old 9/16/15, 07:46 AM
Cobra Member

BTW, this warrants being a sticky thread. This is almost ( ) as cool as my swap.
I would be honored with a sticky thread, but maybe we should wait and make sure I can get it running first!

How embarrassing would that be lol!
Old 9/16/15, 07:53 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by sqidd
IDK how Stewart is claiming that their pump is maxed out. Check out this data?

Note the flow rates on your system will be different because your restrictions will be different. But the data is scale-able.

My LPE pumps draw about 25 amps.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/LPEforum...esting-results
Hmmm, very curious. I'll get to the bottom of this, I've had several emails back and forth with Stewart. I'll send them this link and get them to explain. It's possible that since that data is a couple years old that Stewart has changed the programming on the pump since then. This isn't a big deal, I can order the pump from lengenfelter, I'm more curious now than anything.

Can my factory v6 alternator support adding 25 amps or do I need to start thinking about replacing it?

Last edited by Ecostang; 9/16/15 at 08:45 AM.
Old 9/16/15, 11:21 AM
Cobra Member

Very true, ive been in this project for 6 months now working off and on. I have so much fun working on it I will actually be disappointed somewhat when the car is finished.

I read your build thread several months ago, at least most of it, very cool upgrade for sure! I can't remember, how did you get the rest of the car to work? What I mean by that is does your abs work, gauges work, windshield wipers, body control module still running? The reason I ask is because I'm not sure I could use the ecoboost control pack and the factory ecu together to make the car work. How did you do it?
I left all of the OEM computers in the car (and didn't add any), so:

0) ABS works and windshield wipers work.

1) Speedo is driven by transmission (I swapped in a Tremec Magnum XL)

2) Tach driven via the ECU by the OEM crank position sensor that reads a modified 302 Explorer crank trigger wheel mounted behind the crank pulley.

3) Fuel gauge driven by OEM fuel hat (with an aftermarket pump installed). Fuel system was converted to return style and the pump is always pumping gas as hard as it can. Pressure is regulated down from 65 PSI all the way to 6.5 psi (measured at the regulator).

4) PATS key still works because I kept the OEM instrument cluster

5) Water temp gauge and oil pressure idiot light don't do anything because I'm running aftermarket gauges.

6) I had to give up cruise control, but with a little thinking on it, I could probably hook it back up.

7) EPAS was removed because the new oil pan didn't allow it to fit (otherwise, I woulda kept it). Converted to hydraulic PS using a 2009 rack and a Fox Body pump with a custom line connecting to two parts.

8) Had to create a tune that turned off as many codes as possible, but I still have the wrench light on, and the info display in the tach flashes the Advance Trac error.

9) I think the alternator (150-amp unit) is connected incorrectly because I'm the charging idiot light is lit, and the info display in the tach is flashing "Check Charging System".

10) Even though it works fine, I'm thinking about removing the stereo because I can't hear the **** thing over the exhaust anyway.
Old 9/16/15, 11:25 AM
Cobra Member

Hmmm, very curious. I'll get to the bottom of this, I've had several emails back and forth with Stewart. I'll send them this link and get them to explain. It's possible that since that data is a couple years old that Stewart has changed the programming on the pump since then. This isn't a big deal, I can order the pump from lengenfelter, I'm more curious now than anything.

Can my factory v6 alternator support adding 25 amps or do I need to start thinking about replacing it?
If you can't find one that supplies the necessary amperage, you can probably have yours rebuilt (locally) to provide the necessary amps. I had my 130-amp one rebuilt to do 150-amps. Just find a local starter/alternator shop that does rebuilds. It'll probably run you about $175 or so, which is MUCH cheaper than buying a new one.

Are you using the alternator off the f150, or the one off the Mustang?

Last edited by jsimmons; 9/16/15 at 11:26 AM.
Old 9/16/15, 02:39 PM
Cobra Member

I left all of the OEM computers in the car (and didn't add any), so:

0) ABS works and windshield wipers work.

1) Speedo is driven by transmission (I swapped in a Tremec Magnum XL)

2) Tach driven via the ECU by the OEM crank position sensor that reads a modified 302 Explorer crank trigger wheel mounted behind the crank pulley.

3) Fuel gauge driven by OEM fuel hat (with an aftermarket pump installed). Fuel system was converted to return style and the pump is always pumping gas as hard as it can. Pressure is regulated down from 65 PSI all the way to 6.5 psi (measured at the regulator).

4) PATS key still works because I kept the OEM instrument cluster

5) Water temp gauge and oil pressure idiot light don't do anything because I'm running aftermarket gauges.

6) I had to give up cruise control, but with a little thinking on it, I could probably hook it back up.

7) EPAS was removed because the new oil pan didn't allow it to fit (otherwise, I woulda kept it). Converted to hydraulic PS using a 2009 rack and a Fox Body pump with a custom line connecting to two parts.

8) Had to create a tune that turned off as many codes as possible, but I still have the wrench light on, and the info display in the tach flashes the Advance Trac error.

9) I think the alternator (150-amp unit) is connected incorrectly because I'm the charging idiot light is lit, and the info display in the tach is flashing "Check Charging System".

10) Even though it works fine, I'm thinking about removing the stereo because I can't hear the **** thing over the exhaust anyway.
Thank you for all the details, very good info. This makes me think it is possible to run the ecoboost control pack along with the factory ecu to keep everything working. The control pack has canbus connections to make the gauges work, that's what I've read at least. I'm still going to try and use the F150 ecu first, but if I can't make it work there is hope to use the control pack.
Old 9/16/15, 02:40 PM
Cobra Member

If you can't find one that supplies the necessary amperage, you can probably have yours rebuilt (locally) to provide the necessary amps. I had my 130-amp one rebuilt to do 150-amps. Just find a local starter/alternator shop that does rebuilds. It'll probably run you about $175 or so, which is MUCH cheaper than buying a new one.

Are you using the alternator off the f150, or the one off the Mustang?
Good point, I will be using the alternator from the f150 not the mustang. I bet it's got a higher capacity than the mustang, I'll look in to that. Thanks!
Old 9/16/15, 02:49 PM
Cobra Member

You have that 100% backward, LOL.
I sent the links to the customer service rep who put me in contact with a Stewart product engineer today, he reluctantly told me the pump they sell on their website is the exact pump with same programming as lengenfelter. The guy was very short with me and I had to pry to get this information, probably due to the relationship with lengenfelter. I'm thinking they had different programming in the past but must have changed it. I'll order from Stewart, I'm convinced it's the same.

Thanks again for helping me figure this out, you saved me some time for sure.

Last edited by Ecostang; 9/16/15 at 06:43 PM.
Old 9/16/15, 07:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I sent the links to the customer service rep who put me in contact with a Stewart product engineer today, he reluctantly told me the pump they sell on their website is the exact pump with same programming as lengenfelter. The guy was very short with me and I had to pry to get this information, probably due to the relationship with lengenfelter. I'm thinking they had different programming in the past but must have changed it. I'll order from Stewart, I'm convinced it's the same.

Thanks again for helping me figure this out, you saved me some time for sure.
That's interesting. So Stewart is selling a hot rodded version now? Is it less money through Stewart?
Old 9/16/15, 09:13 PM
Cobra Member

That's interesting. So Stewart is selling a hot rodded version now? Is it less money through Stewart?
It's the only version they sell now, it's $100 less, $550 vs $450
Old 9/17/15, 06:51 AM
Bullitt Member

It's the only version they sell now, it's $100 less, $550 vs $450
No kidding. So Stewart is selling a pump that flows what the hot rodded LPE does for $100 less? Man, that rocks. Do you have some contact info for Stewart? I was just about to get another pump.

Thanks man!
Old 9/17/15, 06:45 PM
Cobra Member

No kidding. So Stewart is selling a pump that flows what the hot rodded LPE does for $100 less? Man, that rocks. Do you have some contact info for Stewart? I was just about to get another pump.

Thanks man!
http://www.stewartcomponents.com/ind...&product_id=71

You can buy it right off the website with the link above, I have been speaking with Meghan in customer service if you wanted to contact someone.
Old 9/18/15, 05:38 AM
Bullitt Member

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/ind...&product_id=71

You can buy it right off the website with the link above, I have been speaking with Meghan in customer service if you wanted to contact someone.
Thanks!
Old 9/20/15, 10:40 PM
Cobra Member

How about this ecoboost swap?
Old 9/20/15, 10:53 PM
Cobra Member

One more for fun
Old 9/20/15, 11:18 PM
Cobra Member

I've been out of town and not feeling well since I got back so not much progress on the car until this afternoon. Got the gt500 fuel tank in today and also the pinion flange swapped out on the rear end. I'm very close to having the shifter and driveshaft installed which means I'll have all the drivetrain in the car and ready to go. I'm ordering a whiteline rear sway bar to finish up the rear end.

Projects left to complete for phase 1
1. Have custom exhaust pieces made to attach the ecoboost exhaust to the mustang exhaust.
2. Custom piece of turbo piping to connect intercoolers to intake of ecoboost.
3. Customize wiring harnesses, includes integrating f150 bcm in to mustang.
4. Customize airaid intake pipe to accept 4" elbow, then attach huge air filter.
5. Install new intercooler water piping and new intercooler pump.
6. Add brake lineloc, gt500 front brakes, f150 abs module, add racing fluid and bleed brakes.
7. Install shifter, driveshaft, rear sway bar to finish drivetrain swap.
8. Install gt500 differential cooler, pump, tubing etc.
9. Paint body parts and get them installed.

Phase 2 will include full race suspension upgrade, turbos upgraded to ford GT turbos, fuel injection upgrade, engine pulled and rebuilt for 700+ HP, widen all 4 wheels, roll cage.

Last edited by Ecostang; 9/20/15 at 11:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap