Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Hellion 3.7L turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/13, 08:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im not really talking about the psi but im talking more about how much strain is put on the engine. but on hellion's website it says its base setting is set at 5psi which makes 400rwhp. so thats the same rwhp with 5/8's the pressure. 8psi is 8pi so you should be able to set the turbo at 8psi and get around 500-550rwhp safely.

Last edited by southcarolina12; 10/29/13 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10/29/13, 08:26 PM
Cobra Member

Intresting. I wonder if there is anyone here that has done it (turbo). While it seems like ir mighr be a better fit than the procharger the turbo doesn't sound good in the videos imo.
Old 10/29/13, 09:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by southcarolina12
im not really talking about the psi but im talking more about how much strain is put on the engine. but on hellion's website it says its base setting is set at 5psi which makes 400rwhp. so thats the same rwhp with 5/8's the pressure. 8psi is 8pi so you should be able to set the turbo at 8psi and get around 500-550rwhp safely.
Oh, I got ya. So the Hellion turbo kit is using 5 pounds boost to make 400 rwhp while the 8 pounds boost is being used by procharger to make same 400 rwhp. So basically the supercharger is using 3 pounds more boost to make the same rwhp as the Hellion on 5 pounds.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but 8 pounds of boost on turbo, won't that put too much load on the factory stock engine parts. I mean if 500 rwhp is pushing the factor motor does it matter if its from a turbo or not 500 is 500 no matter how you make it. I would think only 5 pounds should be used with the Hellion kit unless you upgrade engine parts. That gets real pricey I'm learning. Its more to install the forged internals than it is to buy the parts. The parts cost 2k but install may be 3k because of how much work is involved. Total 5k for forged internals. This of course does not include the 6k for the Hellion turbo kit. Lol
Old 10/29/13, 10:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Oh, I got ya. So the Hellion turbo kit is using 5 pounds boost to make 400 rwhp while the 8 pounds boost is being used by procharger to make same 400 rwhp. So basically the supercharger is using 3 pounds more boost to make the same rwhp as the Hellion on 5 pounds.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but 8 pounds of boost on turbo, won't that put too much load on the factory stock engine parts. I mean if 500 rwhp is pushing the factor motor does it matter if its from a turbo or not 500 is 500 no matter how you make it. I would think only 5 pounds should be used with the Hellion kit unless you upgrade engine parts. That gets real pricey I'm learning. Its more to install the forged internals than it is to buy the parts. The parts cost 2k but install may be 3k because of how much work is involved. Total 5k for forged internals. This of course does not include the 6k for the Hellion turbo kit. Lol
I don't know where you're getting the $2k for parts, it's more like $3k for the base kit, and by the time you actually have it where you want it around $4k-4.5k for parts alone. Then yes, another $2k-3k for the work probably, unless you can do it yourself, so probably $6-7k for the internals by the time you're said and done.
Old 10/30/13, 04:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by zbrewha863
I don't know where you're getting the $2k for parts, it's more like $3k for the base kit, and by the time you actually have it where you want it around $4k-4.5k for parts alone. Then yes, another $2k-3k for the work probably, unless you can do it yourself, so probably $6-7k for the internals by the time you're said and done.
MMR sells a forged combo kit for 1,950 thats for the 11 plus v6 models. It includes forged pistons, forged rods, forged crankshaft and install parts.

http://www.modularmotorsportsracing....ile_detect.htm
Old 10/30/13, 04:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

With any supercharger it "takes power to make power" kind of thing, you deal with parasitic loss. The advantage of a turbo again, it makes power off exhaust that is post combustion so that is more "free power" if that makes sense.
Old 10/30/13, 05:59 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by slostang
With any supercharger it "takes power to make power" kind of thing, you deal with parasitic loss. The advantage of a turbo again, it makes power off exhaust that is post combustion so that is more "free power" if that makes sense.
No, it does. Lol. Its my understanding if one has long tube headers you can't use the Hellion turbo kit. I think a turbo 3.7 would be awesome. It looks as if its recommended for 5 pounds boost for stock motor.
Old 10/30/13, 06:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

No, it does. Lol. Its my understanding if one has long tube headers you can't use the Hellion turbo kit. I think a turbo 3.7 would be awesome. It looks as if its recommended for 5 pounds boost for stock motor.
Correct, I don't know the 3.7 kit but I assume either it's stock manifolds OR forward facing headers.
Old 10/30/13, 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

making 400rwhp with a turbo put way less stress on the internals than making 400rwhp with a procharger. the stress from 400rwhp with a procharger is equal to the stress of the turbo making like 490rwhp. since the procharger uses that other 90hp which the crankshaft isnt turning the turbo so its not putting more stress on the internals which is using hp. from my understanding 540rwhp is the max safe amount of hp from a turbo on the 3.7 for a daily driver and 450rwhp is the max safe amount for the procharger.
Old 10/30/13, 02:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

making 400rwhp with a turbo put way less stress on the internals than making 400rwhp with a procharger. the stress from 400rwhp with a procharger is equal to the stress of the turbo making like 490rwhp. since the procharger uses that other 90hp which the crankshaft isnt turning the turbo so its not putting more stress on the internals which is using hp. from my understanding 540rwhp is the max safe amount of hp from a turbo on the 3.7 for a daily driver and 450rwhp is the max safe amount for the procharger.
400hp is 400hp, it's the same stress.

On a small P1 I bet the lose is WAY less then 90, maybe when you get into the F series but not on a tiny little D1.
Old 10/30/13, 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by slostang
400hp is 400hp, it's the same stress.

On a small P1 I bet the lose is WAY less then 90, maybe when you get into the F series but not on a tiny little D1.
yes 400hp is 400hp... let me put it another way, the procharged engine makes 540hp BUT 90hp is used to turn the supercharger so actually you dont ever see the other 90hp. the turbo on the other had doesnt run off of the crank shaft so it doesnt use up really any hp other than a little more restrictive exhaust which isnt that much. so all of its 540hp it makes goes to the wheels.... (im pretending that drivetrain loss doesnt exist just so its easier to explain)

its 15%-20% of the hp that a procharger uses up so when you get up into the 1000hp range its more like 150-200hp itll use up. (it takes way more air to make 1000hp)
Old 10/30/13, 07:20 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
yes 400hp is 400hp... let me put it another way, the procharged engine makes 540hp BUT 90hp is used to turn the supercharger so actually you dont ever see the other 90hp. the turbo on the other had doesnt run off of the crank shaft so it doesnt use up really any hp other than a little more restrictive exhaust which isnt that much. so all of its 540hp it makes goes to the wheels.... (im pretending that drivetrain loss doesnt exist just so its easier to explain) its 15%-20% of the hp that a procharger uses up so when you get up into the 1000hp range its more like 150-200hp itll use up. (it takes way more air to make 1000hp)
But a restrictive exhaust on a forced induction motor will have negative affects also. Not being able to release hot gasses on the exhaust stroke can cause some serious internal cylinder issues. I really haven't seen many mustangs survive with turbo set ups. The terminators seem to do fairly well but the 4V is built for a beating. On the other hand, there are tons of supercharged mustangs out there with zero negative effects. It always turns into which is better. Turbos are capable of making much more horsepower but the risk just doesn't seem worth it. Tuning is a nightmare and their track record is just not good at all. The cheaper turbo set up always ends up costing more.
Old 10/30/13, 07:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

with only 5-8psi and a 76mm turbo the exhaust pressure wont be much at all. with a 76mm turbo the exhaust pressure shouldnt get above like 10psi or so if that. i think the 3.7 will love a turbo. i will keep a eye on the egt to be sure the cylinder temperature isnt getting to high. i have a local tuner that i will use that everyone says is really good. if the engine does go out i can get another one for pretty cheap or i could just rebuild it myself if its not messed up 2 bad so its not that big of a deal.
Old 10/30/13, 07:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
But a restrictive exhaust on a forced induction motor will have negative affects also. Not being able to release hot gasses on the exhaust stroke can cause some serious internal cylinder issues. I really haven't seen many mustangs survive with turbo set ups. The terminators seem to do fairly well but the 4V is built for a beating. On the other hand, there are tons of supercharged mustangs out there with zero negative effects. It always turns into which is better. Turbos are capable of making much more horsepower but the risk just doesn't seem worth it. Tuning is a nightmare and their track record is just not good at all. The cheaper turbo set up always ends up costing more.
Amen brother. That seems to be the common consensus of it. The supercharger is easier to install, a more safe track record and instant boost. Way easier to fix if there is an issue with the drive belt.
Old 10/30/13, 08:44 PM

with only 5-8psi and a 76mm turbo the exhaust pressure wont be much at all. with a 76mm turbo the exhaust pressure shouldnt get above like 10psi or so if that. i think the 3.7 will love a turbo. i will keep a eye on the egt to be sure the cylinder temperature isnt getting to high. i have a local tuner that i will use that everyone says is really good. if the engine does go out i can get another one for pretty cheap or i could just rebuild it myself if its not messed up 2 bad so its not that big of a deal.
Hey it's your car man. If you restrict that exhaust system by 10psi at high revs, those cylinders are gonna cook quick. I would probably go with headers with some large primary tubes along with reworked heads with much bigger exhaust valves. Get as much out of the combustion chambers as possible. A custom set of cams for that application would help too. If a new motor is no big deal than have fun with the project. It's sounds like you just want to build a turbo sixer which is a better reason than wanting easy horsepower. Otherwise I would just recommend nitrous.
Old 10/30/13, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

yeah im mainly just wanting to turbo and see how much rwhp i can make. stock exhaust pressure would be like 2-3psi maybe a little more and if i get a good flowing turbo back exhaust it should keep the exhaust manifold pressure way down. i use to be all for a supercharger but after talking to a few high performance engine shops ive decided that turbo is the way to go for these engines. im still gonna do some more research before i actually start buying stuff.
Old 10/30/13, 10:10 PM

yeah im mainly just wanting to turbo and see how much rwhp i can make. stock exhaust pressure would be like 2-3psi maybe a little more and if i get a good flowing turbo back exhaust it should keep the exhaust manifold pressure way down. i use to be all for a supercharger but after talking to a few high performance engine shops ive decided that turbo is the way to go for these engines. im still gonna do some more research before i actually start buying stuff.
If it's built for a turbo specifically, it should hold up. But that's where most people go wrong. A turbo is a different animal when it comes to the internal design of the valve train mainly. Cams valves ports should all be considered. Along with an engine builder that has experience with turbo motors. Blower motors are a little more simplistic. Lower compression, free flowing heads, forged internals, good balancing. The exhaust side of a turbo motor is key. Again, most people just go supercharged because its easy and the big turbos are usually reserved serious racers. Unless you have an import. For some reason those Jap craps stay together for the most part with turbos. Dunno
Old 11/5/13, 01:34 PM

Went searching around and found this thread on Google looking for other experiences with this kit, though finding people who have actually had it installed is hard.

I'm going to be installing the Hellion turbo kit on my '12 3.7 in March. The initial target is 450rwhp with the final goal at 600rwhp. I've been going back and forth with a shop here in Dallas and apparently they've done a Hellion install on an '11 v6 and highly recommended the kit. We'll see how it goes.