5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/14, 04:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Yep, I totally get it. In my case, I am picking up my 2014 tomorrow and have to admit I'm enamored with the wow factor of the TracKey. In an unrelated note, anyone notice that the TracKey instructions specify 5w20 oil, but the track pack cars specify 5w50? Also the track pack cars have "unique ESC tuning," I wonder if there are any compatibility issues with the track pack and TracKey (I know it sounds ridiculous). And if it's OK (more than likely), which oil would you use?
I would be too. If I had a 2014 and could adjust launch control, etc with the cluster, I'd get the key too.

Definitely don't want to turn this into an oil thread. But people will tell you to run what on the oil cap to be safe. Personally I run 5w30, it's right between the two recommended oils for base gt and track pack gt. Since both are the same motor I figure anything in the middle will work too.

Good question about the ESC tuning for track pack/brembo cars. I'd imagine that would be separate from what FR messed with for the trackey cal.
Old 6/5/14, 04:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by todcp
I asked this question of the tech folks and here is the answer. "Use the oil that is recommended for use in the owner's manual or supplement. If it says 5W50, then use 5W50. (This will work just fine with the Trackey or Track Cal). " My guess is the 5 is the important number as 5 will flow easier than a 10 weight? So don't use 10/30 etc. Something about the way the valves behave needs the lower number I guess.
Lower number is for pour weight. Once it heats up it becomes the second number. I agree to stick with 5w??. The second number is up for debate. ON OTHER THREADS -

Last edited by typesredline; 6/5/14 at 05:03 PM.
Old 6/5/14, 04:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mfc133
No it's a legit question. The physical engine is the same but calibrations are viscosity-specific because of VCT: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...1#post11805636 And Ford's own literature on the GT Track Key backs this up: What if the " TRACKEY IDLE ENABLED" message is displayed but the idle is not very lopey? • First, verify that the engine oil level is correct. Make sure to use only 5W20 oil, as cam control can vary dependent on oil viscosity. Secondly, turn off all accessories such as air conditioning, rear window defrost, etc. If the idle still isn't lopey, the PCM may need to relearn the zero (or "home") position of the cams. To facilitate this learning process, shut the engine off, restart the engine using the black (non-Track) key and let the engine idle for 5 minutes with the vehicle stationary. Do not touch the accelerator pedal during this time. Once the zero position is learned, it should not need to be relearned unless the battery is disconnected or the PCM is reflashed.
VERY interesting find. I agree with grabber, but viscosity does have an impact on vtc and other cam related things. That being said I don't think it is THAT sensitive. I've used all different weights over the yrs on my Honda with VTEC and it performs as it should regardless.

Last edited by typesredline; 6/5/14 at 05:04 PM.
Old 6/5/14, 04:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by John H
So, to use the track key, Tack Package owners would need to run 5W-20 oil instead of the 5W-50? Or is that ONLY if you're not getting the expected lopey idle that the Tack Key is supposed to provide?
Either weight will be fine for the motor. The 5/50 is recommended for track pack bc of how ford expects them to be driven.

Based on the previous post, I'd continue to run what the manual says (or whatever you decide to run in that range). I doubt the idle will be noticeably affected from oil weight. I suspect that is FRPP speak to have a proactive solution to the nit picky customers that are unhappy with the tune.
Old 6/6/14, 07:06 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by golffanatic777
Loving everything I've read so far but would love to hear someone's review on it after install.
Me to. Would really like to hear some comments and reviews from people after they get Trackey installed. I'm planning on dropping a hint when asked what I want for Fathers day
Old 6/6/14, 02:48 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ordered mine today!
Old 6/6/14, 02:57 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
My car is getting done tomorrow morning at 10am
any thoughts/updates?
Old 6/6/14, 02:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got mine installed today. Car runs fantastic with it. The lopey idle is SIC compared to the lopey idle on my 2012 Boss302!. It shakes the snot out of the car. The only issue I have noticed is that twice the car has fallen flat on its face from dig leaving a light. Each time it happened the lopey idle stopped until whatever the issue was reset itself. It'll have to go back to be looked at when I get back from Vegas in a week.

Since my car was already close to needing an oil change i had it done as well and we put in what was recommend in the Trackey documentation.

I might try the AutoX with it tomorrow. I'll let my son-in-law drive it if he wants. He has driven it in another session we had. I'd like his impression on the change with Trackey.

Name:  718E1653-055A-4626-B1CB-0447B48EC915_zpsrmyc5tbl.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  91.5 KB
Name:  30213B60-5319-4A6B-93A6-19F7EBC60FD0_zps1sdsyf5n.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  108.0 KB

Last edited by MyStang2010GB; 6/6/14 at 03:10 PM.
Old 6/6/14, 03:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Got mine installed today. Car runs fantastic with it. The lopey idle is SIC compared to the lopey idle on my 2012 Boss302!. It shakes the snot out of the car. The only issue I have noticed is that twice the car has fallen flat on its face from dig leaving a light. Each time it happened the lopey idle stopped until whatever the issue was reset itself. It'll have to go back to be looked at when I get back from Vegas in a week. Since my car was already close to needing an oil change i had it done as well and we put in what was recommend in the Trackey documentation. I might try the AutoX with it tomorrow. I'll let my son-in-law drive it if he wants. He has driven it in another session we had. I'd like his impression on the change with Trackey.
So you put in 5w-20?
Old 6/6/14, 03:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
So you put in 5w-20?
yes. Service Manager said they called and Ford Racing said to use 5W20. My car is not a TrackPack cars 5W20 is already what Ford recommends
Old 6/6/14, 03:17 PM
V6 Member

Got mine installed today. Car runs fantastic with it. The lopey idle is SIC compared to the lopey idle on my 2012 Boss302!. It shakes the snot out of the car. The only issue I have noticed is that twice the car has fallen flat on its face from dig leaving a light. Each time it happened the lopey idle stopped until whatever the issue was reset itself. It'll have to go back to be looked at when I get back from Vegas in a week.

Since my car was already close to needing an oil change i had it done as well and we put in what was recommend in the Trackey documentation.

I might try the AutoX with it tomorrow. I'll let my son-in-law drive it if he wants. He has driven it in another session we had. I'd like his impression on the change with Trackey.
Thanks for the update!
Old 6/6/14, 03:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

pedal tip in is perfect. My car had a slight hesitation on regular key. none what so ever on this Trackey tune. I love the fact that it is a key and lugging a tuner around.
Old 6/6/14, 04:26 PM
GT Member

AWESOME! can't wait to get mine now
Old 6/7/14, 02:47 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the update.

You must be one of if not the first to get the TracKey installed.
I'm a bit concerned about the stumble and if it will necessitate an updated re-flash.

My only gripe with the key is that only the Dealer can do it and any updates will require a trip to the Dealer and another shop fee.

Looking forward to further impressions and developments.
Old 6/7/14, 02:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BBM3
Thanks for the update. You must be one of if not the first to get the TracKey installed. I'm a bit concerned about the stumble and if it will necessitate an updated re-flash. My only gripe with the key is that only the Dealer can do it and any updates will require a trip to the Dealer and another shop fee. Looking forward to further impressions and developments.
That concerned me a bit as well.
Old 6/7/14, 03:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by BBM3
Thanks for the update.

You must be one of if not the first to get the TracKey installed.
I'm a bit concerned about the stumble and if it will necessitate an updated re-flash.

My only gripe with the key is that only the Dealer can do it and any updates will require a trip to the Dealer and another shop fee.

Looking forward to further impressions and developments.
Your point is well taken about the reflash. Ford Racing wouldn't cover this under warranty?

Also about the stumbling, I read somewhere that Ford tunes run a different program for the first 18 key cycles before they revert to the standard program. Maybe this will just kind of work itself out? Fingers crossed.
Old 6/7/14, 03:35 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Your point is well taken about the reflash. Ford Racing wouldn't cover this under warranty?

Also about the stumbling, I read somewhere that Ford tunes run a different program for the first 18 key cycles before they revert to the standard program. Maybe this will just kind of work itself out? Fingers crossed.
I'll bet you are correct about the learning curve.
I had a CTSv shipped from my previous home at sea level to 7600 feet ASL and it was a mess for the first day or two until the PCM adjusted to altitude.
Old 6/7/14, 06:50 PM
GT Member

Sorry a bit off topic...

My pervious post caused me to think about piston driven aircraft.
With a carbureted aircraft we adjust the air / fuel ratio manually based on exhaust gas temperature.
With a fuel injected aircraft the ECM does the job.
How is it that an aircraft ECM can adjust the air / fuel ratio based on temperature and pressure in near realtime and my car can not?
Old 6/7/14, 08:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

So I have been driving the car all day on the Trackey and the stumble from a stop when lopey idle is enabled has completely gone away...

For some reason I am using a lot more premium gas the past 2 days.....
Old 6/7/14, 09:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
So I have been driving the car all day on the Trackey and the stumble from a stop when lopey idle is enabled has completely gone away...

For some reason I am using a lot more premium gas the past 2 days.....
Yeah, but think of all the money you're saving on brakes with that enhanced engine braking!

Oh and that's good news about the stumble from a stop.

Quick Reply: Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013