5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/14, 09:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BBM3
Just to keep things straight in my mind. I am going to refer to the PCM on GT's from 7/1/13 on as PCM1a and PCM1b. According to the Trackey install FAQ if you have a non stock tune before the dealer installed Trackey tune it be will overwritten with the Trackey tune in PCM1b and the stock tune will remain in PCM1a. So you are saying that I can have a dealer installed Trackey tune and then afterwords flash PCM1a with a Pro-Cal tool and only over-write the stock tune in PCM1a while leaving the Trackey tune in PCM1b intact? If you have a TSB that requires a PCM re-flash it will over-write PCM1a and b. I would think any other tune after a Trackey flash would do the same?
From my understanding, yes. You can do both. I believe that PCM1b is reserved only for the track key ignition. So when you plug in the tool and flash anything, whether it's the procal or a Bama tune, it only goes on pcm1a.

Another way to think about the pcm1 a and b is that each one is activated with each key. So the track key pulls b which has the dealer installed trackey tune. The stock key pulls whatever is on the pcm1a which would be the procal in this case.

That being said, I asked the FR tech a lot of stuff but since I have a 2013 I spent more time in that scenario, where only having one partition on the PCM and one key, I have to separately flash whichever tune I want. Now the previous stuff I mentioned I directly asked about and got clear answers. Your question I am answering based on assumptions from other things I was told. I'd recommend giving them a ring to be sure.

Last edited by typesredline; 6/3/14 at 09:13 AM.
Old 6/3/14, 11:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
From my understanding, yes. You can do both. I believe that PCM1b is reserved only for the track key ignition. So when you plug in the tool and flash anything, whether it's the procal or a Bama tune, it only goes on pcm1a.
I think anytime you flash a new calibration you're overwriting what's on the PCM. So I don't think you can flash an aftermarket tune and have it co-exist with the Track Key tune. It will just overwrite all the Track Key stuff entirely.
Old 6/3/14, 01:01 PM
Cobra Member

He did specifically tell me that you could run the procal and have the trackey. Just like with a 2013 you can run both by installing, uninstalling etc.

I have a new question for you guys though. The guy said I'd have to use two separate tools each containing one tune, pro cal and track cal. Upon further research I see that the tune itself is loaded onto an sd card. Not sure why they couldn't just send me the memory card only and reduce the price being that I'll already have the tool. I'd just end up sending one back anyway. Then I could just swap cards and use the same tool. Is there any reason you guys can think of that would cause this not to work? For example, is the tool somehow tied to that tune and/or card?
Old 6/3/14, 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

Also contemplating getting only the track cal if they are going to charge full price for each one.

The main reason I wanted them separate is bc I remember FR saying for the boss key when it came out that it was "track only" due to the tune not being very streetable.

Have they reworked things since they will be on full time? If the track cal is comfortable to drive with daily, then having both tunes I think would be unnecessary.
Old 6/4/14, 09:18 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Also contemplating getting only the track cal if they are going to charge full price for each one.

The main reason I wanted them separate is bc I remember FR saying for the boss key when it came out that it was "track only" due to the tune not being very streetable.

Have they reworked things since they will be on full time? If the track cal is comfortable to drive with daily, then having both tunes I think would be unnecessary.
I rarely ever used the standard key when I had the Boss302. TrackKey was perfect as a daily driver as well
Old 6/4/14, 09:32 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
I rarely ever used the standard key when I had the Boss302. TrackKey was perfect as a daily driver as well
Interesting. Even with the aggressive engine braking and whatnot?

Also just read that with the 2014.5 key you can adjust 2step and lopie idle with the screen in the cluster. On the 13 you have to use the cruise control buttons to rig the settings.

I'm thinking more and more that I'm just gonna get the regular procal.
Old 6/4/14, 09:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Also just read that with the 2014.5 key you can adjust 2step and lopie idle with the screen in the cluster. On the 13 you have to use the cruise control buttons to rig the settings.

Yes, even with more aggressive engine braking it was my daily drive tune
Old 6/4/14, 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Your previous post said Track Cal only. Did you switch your opinion to ProCal only?
Old 6/4/14, 01:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Yeah a lot of Boss 302 owners are doing this with no issue. I think throttle response and engine braking are very tame on the stock tune, wouldn't mind if they got a bit more aggressive.

The thing that worries me for daily driving is the lopey idle. I could see that getting old after a while, and will I remember to hold a button down at every engine start to disable it? Probably not.
Old 6/4/14, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I have a 2014 GT w/Track Package built after 7/1 but now I'm getting curious with so many comments about the instrument cluster. I do not have the Premium model with TrackApps, just the 300A GT. So am I still good-to-go with the Track Key? Loving everything I've read so far but would love to hear someone's review on it after install.
Old 6/4/14, 02:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by golffanatic777

Ok so I have a 2014 GT w/Track Package built after 7/1 but now I'm getting curious with so many comments about the instrument cluster. I do not have the Premium model with TrackApps, just the 300A GT. So am I still good-to-go with the Track Key? Loving everything I've read so far but would love to hear someone's review on it after install.
I think so. If you read the instructions for either the customer or the dealer, it tells you when the key is inserted that the display reads "TracKey active track use only." They show two screens, one looks like the premium LCD in the instrument cluster and one looks like the GT information center. It's in the center stack, right?

Take this with a grain of salt, I don't even have my car yet ... But I think you're set.
Old 6/4/14, 03:17 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by golffanatic777

Yes it works with both clusters.

These links from Ford Racing Parts are probably the most definitive to date since I don't know of anyone who has had it installed yet.

General Trackey Information

Install Instructions. (See Page 3 for clusters)
Old 6/4/14, 03:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Your previous post said Track Cal only. Did you switch your opinion to ProCal only?
I think I might be. The more I read, it's the same tune with more aggressive engine braking and different set temps for the fans to kick in. Don't want or need that.

Lopey idle and launch control would be cool. But since I have a 13MY, I'd have to control those thing with the cruise control buttons, holding different ones for different lengths of time. Just seems not worth it when I can get everything else for less than $300.

Last edited by typesredline; 6/4/14 at 03:34 PM.
Old 6/5/14, 02:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think I might be. The more I read, it's the same tune with more aggressive engine braking and different set temps for the fans to kick in. Don't want or need that.

Lopey idle and launch control would be cool. But since I have a 13MY, I'd have to control those thing with the cruise control buttons, holding different ones for different lengths of time. Just seems not worth it when I can get everything else for less than $300.
Yep, I totally get it.

In my case, I am picking up my 2014 tomorrow and have to admit I'm enamored with the wow factor of the TracKey.

In an unrelated note, anyone notice that the TracKey instructions specify 5w20 oil, but the track pack cars specify 5w50? Also the track pack cars have "unique ESC tuning," I wonder if there are any compatibility issues with the track pack and TracKey (I know it sounds ridiculous). And if it's OK (more than likely), which oil would you use?
Old 6/5/14, 05:44 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In an unrelated note, anyone notice that the TracKey instructions specify 5w20 oil, but the track pack cars specify 5w50? Also the track pack cars have "unique ESC tuning," I wonder if there are any compatibility issues with the track pack and TracKey (I know it sounds ridiculous). And if it's OK (more than likely), which oil would you use?[/QUOTE]

I asked this question of the tech folks and here is the answer.
"Use the oil that is recommended for use in the owner's manual or supplement. If it says 5W50, then use 5W50. (This will work just fine with the Trackey or Track Cal). "

My guess is the 5 is the important number as 5 will flow easier than a 10 weight? So don't use 10/30 etc. Something about the way the valves behave needs the lower number I guess.
Old 6/5/14, 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
In an unrelated note, anyone notice that the TracKey instructions specify 5w20 oil, but the track pack cars specify 5w50?
This is an interesting question. You would assume that since FRPP asks for your VIN# before they provide you with the calibration, they would know that your car specs 5W-50 and the Track Key/Track Cal calibration would be setup for it. This would probably take a phone call to someone in the know at Ford Racing to get a straight answer.
Old 6/5/14, 03:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by todcp
In an unrelated note, anyone notice that the TracKey instructions specify 5w20 oil, but the track pack cars specify
My guess is the 5 is the important number as 5 will flow easier than a 10 weight? So don't use 10/30 etc. Something about the way the valves behave needs the lower number I guess.
The track pack cars and the non track pack cars have the same motor. So you can use 5w-20 or 5w-50 or anything in between. A lot will depend on the cars usage and your climate. But it has nothing to do with the valves.
Old 6/5/14, 03:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
The track pack cars and the non track pack cars have the same motor. So you can use 5w-20 or 5w-50 or anything in between. A lot will depend on the cars usage and your climate. But it has nothing to do with the valves.
No it's a legit question. The physical engine is the same but calibrations are viscosity-specific because of VCT:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...1#post11805636

And Ford's own literature on the GT Track Key backs this up:

What if the " TRACKEY IDLE ENABLED" message is displayed but the idle is not very
lopey?
• First, verify that the engine oil level is correct. Make sure to use only 5W20 oil,
as cam control can vary dependent on oil viscosity.
Secondly, turn off all
accessories such as air conditioning, rear window defrost, etc. If the idle still isn't
lopey, the PCM may need to relearn the zero (or "home") position of the cams.
To facilitate this learning process, shut the engine off, restart the engine using
the black (non-Track) key and let the engine idle for 5 minutes with the vehicle
stationary. Do not touch the accelerator pedal during this time. Once the zero
position is learned, it should not need to be relearned unless the battery is
disconnected or the PCM is reflashed.
Old 6/5/14, 03:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

My car is getting done tomorrow morning at 10am
Old 6/5/14, 04:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, to use the track key, Tack Package owners would need to run 5W-20 oil instead of the 5W-50? Or is that ONLY if you're not getting the expected lopey idle that the Tack Key is supposed to provide?

Quick Reply: Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013