Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Roush Stage 2 vs Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/20, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Roush Stage 2 vs Procharger

Hey everyone, been doing some digging around and looking at the procharger D1 versus adding a Roush Stage 2.

It sounds like both will play nice with stock internals as long as the tune is good (outside of the stage 3 Roush). My current '14 GT really only consists of a BAMA tune when I bought and installed my 302 Boss intake. I really only drive this car for fun (not a DD) and would crank it on an open road or out in the country. I don't plan on taking it on the track with slicks doing 1/4 mile runs (maybe an occasional race between the lights ).. I am running 331 and am looking into a 3" exhaust to help a little bit with backpressure.

Not sure how the procharger and the 302 Boss intake play together, and if I went with the Roush, well the 302 would have to go away (obviously). Anyone have to change internals? Everything I have heard and read made it sound like 575-600 with a good tune on stock internals would be fine. I would prefer to stay under 10#'s of boost with the stock internals.

Thoughts?

Old 4/11/20, 08:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 1,053 Posts
first thought: think about the kind of torque/power curve that you want . . . Roush is a positive displacement blower which will deliver more low end torque and more instant throttle response on the low end; procharger is a centrifugal supercharger which is more like a belt-driven turbocharger; it has to spin up to deliver boost, not as much low end torque but more of a linear build as the RPM's increase

Department of Boost web site has some pretty good info on it; yes they do sell positive displacement kits but they are fairly objective

either way I would stay a bit on the conservative side if you are not planning on building the internals, maybe 550 ish not sure?
Old 4/17/20, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I was in a similar situation of already having the Boss intake and considering the two supercharger types.
I went with the positive displacement supercharger, but I can understand why some choose centrifugal.

Price
Boss intakes are very easy to sell and help eliminate some of the price difference. I was able to sell my CAI, Boss Intake, custom throttle body, and strut tower brace for 90% of my original purchase price.

Installation
I went with a VMP supercharger kit very similar to Roush. The installation instructions were easy to follow and no gotcha's occurred. Everyone thinks it is a factory install with the wire looms and fittings that mimic the factory setup. VMP provided a tune that passed all local tests for OBD sensors and emission levels. The VMP runs off of the same crank pulley that drives the AC unit. The procharger requires a separate crank pulley that bolts to the stock damper. The downside for the VMP/Roush is you do have to perform some front cover modifications in order to mount everything so close to the engine.

Driving
I don't live at the dragstrip and that steered me away from the centrifugal. Many people had mentioned how the centrifugal feels stock until you reach the higher RPM's and then it explodes. I had already installed headers, catted x-pipe, and catback. With my 3.31 gears and boss intake, people always thought I was racing them when I wasn't even close to the power peak. The VMP/Roush blower is making boost immediately. The power is an instant kick that is completely opposite of the Boss intake powerband. I don't have to rev it past 7k and experience the high RPM lockouts anymore. You will need to increase traction with tires and suspension because otherwise the wheelspin is ridiculous.