Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Is getting the Roush calibration a dead end for future tuning?

Old 8/9/13, 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is getting the Roush calibration a dead end for future tuning?

I'm getting a Roush stage II kit installed this upcoming week and my plan was to go with the Roush factory calibration (send the ECU to Roush) for now. I was just reading on a chat board that if you go with the Roush calibration you cannot later get a SCT tuner and a tune because aftermarket tuners cannot read the Roush calibration. Anyone know if this is true? I hate to think that if I'm not happy with the very conservative Roush tune that I could not go another route later on.

Last edited by GT50GO; 8/9/13 at 08:38 PM.
Old 8/9/13, 09:34 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is not true at all, I've had VMP and Lund write over the Roush tunes all the time.
Old 8/9/13, 11:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
This is not true at all, I've had VMP and Lund write over the Roush tunes all the time.
Great! Thanks for the input, I did not think so but wanted to verify with someone that has been there... done that....
Old 8/10/13, 04:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As Jay stated not true.
Old 8/10/13, 05:07 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by mojobama
I'm getting a Roush stage II kit installed this upcoming week and my plan was to go with the Roush factory calibration (send the ECU to Roush) for now. I was just reading on a chat board that if you go with the Roush calibration you cannot later get a SCT tuner and a tune because aftermarket tuners cannot read the Roush calibration. Anyone know if this is true? I hate to think that if I'm not happy with the very conservative Roush tune that I could not go another route later on.
You sir, are my hero. This is the route I am going for as well. I'm very jealous congrats. Updates please.
Old 8/10/13, 08:55 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by mojobama
The aftermarket tuners probably can't read the Roush tune, they are proprietary to Roush.

The tuners would only need to read the Roush tune if they were trying to modify it, but if they just write a new tune then the Roush tune isn't needed anymore.

The thing you won't be able to do is return to the stock tune if the blower was ever removed, because you won't have the stock tune saved anywhere. If that ever became the case you would have to have a Ford dealer flash a stock tune back onto the pcm.
Old 8/10/13, 10:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Vmp sent me a tuner with a custom tune for mine, worked like a champ.
Old 8/10/13, 10:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
You sir, are my hero. This is the route I am going for as well. I'm very jealous congrats. Updates please.
LOL you're enabling my sick mod disease, I can't leave any car I own NA, at least I waited a year and 3 months from purchase date. LOL I will definitely do an update after I get it back around Thursday or Friday.

Thanks to all for the replies, good to know that I'll be able to put an aftermarket tune on if (and do to my mod disease probably will) I don't feel the around 550 RWHP isn't enough. I'll have some before and after dyno pulls to post up.
Old 8/10/13, 12:29 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by Thamac15
Vmp sent me a tuner with a custom tune for mine, worked like a champ.
May I ask what did you get for tunes and upgrades?
Old 8/10/13, 04:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
May I ask what did you get for tunes and upgrades?
I have the 575 hp kit, bassani catback, i have the stock 3.31 gears and a dss driveshaft. got justin at vmp to tune it via data logs. 557 rwhp 461 tq.

If I end up selling it for a roush rs3 or a Shelby ill definitely be getting Justin to tune.

Last edited by Thamac15; 8/10/13 at 04:50 PM.
Old 8/10/13, 08:07 PM
Former Vendor

Justin can tune a Roush tvs
Old 8/11/13, 06:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OP: I did this exact thing you are referring to....Phase 2 kit w/ROUSH Calibration.

That lasted all of a month and I wanted more...so I installed a VMP 82mm pulley (10.5psi) and a custom tune form Justin. Do yourself a favor and get better tires before getting it custom tuned (theres a reason the stg3's only come with a 275 wide tire) the stock ROUSH Calibration is pretty darn rich!
With Justins tune it is night and day and you WILL burn off the tires!!!

If I had to do it all over again I would just get the VMP TVS Pkg!!! Better HE, injectors , tune and power!!!

Name:  DSCN0682_edited-1_zps2ceb0c6e.png
Views: 494
Size:  1.27 MB
Old 8/11/13, 07:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StangLife'12
OP: I did this exact thing you are referring to....Phase 2 kit w/ROUSH Calibration.

That lasted all of a month and I wanted more...so I installed a VMP 82mm pulley (10.5psi) and a custom tune form Justin. Do yourself a favor and get better tires before getting it custom tuned (theres a reason the stg3's only come with a 275 wide tire) the stock ROUSH Calibration is pretty darn rich!

If I had to do it all over again I would just get the VMP TVS Pkg!!! Better HE, injectors , tune and power!!!
Sweet car, ya I'm sure that I'll be going the same route but I want to at least try the Roush calibration for a while. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Did you do a dyno on your current setup and if so what are you pulling?
Is the 82mm pulley something you put on yourself?
What are you doing for a fuel pump?
What size wheel / tires are you running?
Where did you get the strut tower brace?

Thanks,

Last edited by GT50GO; 8/11/13 at 07:04 AM.
Old 8/11/13, 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Did you do a dyno on your current setup and if so what are you pulling?
I have not yet but Will soon! W/ ROUSH Cal ph2 I was 542hp/454tq
Is the 82mm pulley something you put on yourself?
Yes...real easy, dont need anything other than a ratchet & socket! going form the 85mm pulley to the 82mm pulley you can run without a larger idler too cause the phs2 kit comes with a smaller belt than the phs1 kits & 90mm pulley.
What are you doing for a fuel pump?
Stock...no issues until you get to 79mm pulley I believe
What size wheel / tires are you running?
295-30-20 rear (27" overall diameter)....Id recommend going with a taller rear tire if you have 3.73 gears. the gears are really too much for the tires!
Where did you get the strut tower brace?
Its a stock 2007 GT500 brace I got from craigslist for $60.

Last edited by Nocturnal'14; 8/11/13 at 08:51 AM.
Old 8/11/13, 09:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Stanglife'12

Thanks for the information!
Old 8/11/13, 10:09 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by StangLife'12

Who'd you have do the install? I was going to get a stage 2 kit from roush and have ford roush dealer do install and reflash. Would they still do the install if I went with the vmp kit?????
Old 8/11/13, 10:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Who'd you have do the install? I was going to get a stage 2 kit from roush and have ford roush dealer do install and reflash. Would they still do the install if I went with the vmp kit?????
I know your asking this question to Stanglife'12 but I'll let you know I called four Ford dealerships in my area to see if they would install the stage 2 kit if I bought it elsewhere and all four said no. You may have better luck, who knows. I could not justify there price for the kit and sales tax. I got my kit from American Muscle with a 6% discount so I saved about $800 bucks from what it would cost me locally with paying tax.
I'm having mine installed at a very reputable Roush authorized shop about 20 minutes away from my house call fastlane turbo. There install price is about the same as a dealership (which is high) but I want it done right the first time!
Old 8/11/13, 02:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I paid $75 an hour for install from my local roush dealer....$750 total
Bought the kit from HyperMotivePerf.
Had the car back in the days waiting on the calibration....SC was installed on ten hrs