Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Need input - magnuson vs roush SC (almost ready to buy)

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/13, 08:56 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Need input - magnuson vs roush SC (almost ready to buy)

Alright folks... I was at a similar point last year, but had to change my plans. Once again, I am about ready to pull the trigger on my 1st ever SC. I've always looked at roush kits, but have been eyeing the magnuson TVS 2300 kit lately.

Does anyone on this forum have a magnuson kit installed or know anything about them in general? I am mainly interested in the following questions:

Do all magnuson kits come with the SCT tuner now vs the diablo? I heard the diablo is not as user friendly.

How's the availability of mail order custom tunes for the magnuson? In other words, what vendors out there can write me a tune for my car that has a borla catback and an airraid CAI (with or without Venturi tube)? Does vmp write one for magnuson? I know they're mostly roush... But hopefully can also write some for magnuson. I hope to do a dyno tune in the future.

How's the aftermarket support in general for magnusons? Why can't I find much info/write ups on it?

How's the installation process? Is this something I can install on my own if I'm mechanically savvy? I hear this kit is the true bolt on... No grinding of the front cover, plug in harness etc

Anything else I should know? Which is generally a better kit? Roush or magnuson? Roush is more expensive and looks slightly better IMO.. I've heard and read tho that the mag and roush are both essentially the same technology TVS style chargers, and roush is just a bigger name (bigger price too).

I appreciate all your input.... I'm hoping to purchase tomorrow or sometime soon.

Last edited by FromZto5; 9/19/13 at 09:15 PM.
Old 9/19/13, 09:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
No consideration of ProCharger? You could even come to KC for install and tune at their HQ I think...
Old 9/19/13, 09:17 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by kylerohde
No consideration of ProCharger? You could even come to KC for install and tune at their HQ I think...
I really want to stick with roots style, but ....

Kyle, any thoughts of cost of the kit? Plus install costs?
Old 9/19/13, 10:37 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The blower is the same size between the magnuson and Roush, both TVS 2300's but I think the Roush is lots better looking. The front inlet on the magnuson is just wrong looking.
Old 9/19/13, 10:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have no input to ur query... But happy to hear about the big purchase you are going forward with. All the best.
Old 9/19/13, 10:51 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
The blower is the same size between the magnuson and Roush, both TVS 2300's but I think the Roush is lots better looking. The front inlet on the magnuson is just wrong looking.
Yeah both are 2.3L.

As far as looks, I do think the roush TVS has more of a classic roots type look. The magna looks good up top but the pulley is off center to allow for 270 degrees of wrap instead. Looks wise I guess it's more "different" looking... I just hope they both make the same power.

The magnusons are cheaper and come with sct tuners. Was hoping some folks could chime in that have had experiences with either?

Originally Posted by CiniZter
I have no input to ur query... But happy to hear about the big purchase you are going forward with. All the best.
Thx shiaz... Nothing etched in stone yet, but I'm hoping tomorrow or at least soon after. I'm also still debating the warranty purchase if magnuson, when installed by ase certified tech. Or install on my own. So many questions
Old 9/20/13, 05:43 AM
I Have No Life

Any other input folks??!
Old 9/20/13, 07:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
I really want to stick with roots style, but .... Kyle, any thoughts of cost of the kit? Plus install costs?
I honestly don't know much about them versus any other options, as a blower is so far from my realm of possibility, but have just always heard about the crazy power ProCharger cars are able to make.
Old 9/20/13, 09:11 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Any other input folks??!
Whipple or Roush TVS. Those are the only 2 I would mess with. Roush really has their stuff together. What tuner does the Roush kit come with?
Originally Posted by kylerohde

I honestly don't know much about them versus any other options, as a blower is so far from my realm of possibility, but have just always heard about the crazy power ProCharger cars are able to make.
Actually procharger is a weak blower compared to the competition. They are way less efficient than Vortec and Paxton. The intercooler was a big sales factor for procharger but Vortec now has a great intercooler system also. Vortec is the best option for centrifugal blowers if you are going to drive them often.
Old 9/20/13, 01:33 PM
GTR Member

Roush tuned kits don't come with any tuner, you send them your pcm to be programmed.

Some Roush dealers offer their own tuning and then they normally come with SCT, like brenspeed or JDM tuned kits.
Old 9/20/13, 01:34 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Whipple or Roush TVS. Those are the only 2 I would mess with. Roush really has their stuff together. What tuner does the Roush kit come with?

Actually procharger is a weak blower compared to the competition. They are way less efficient than Vortec and Paxton. The intercooler was a big sales factor for procharger but Vortec now has a great intercooler system also. Vortec is the best option for centrifugal blowers if you are going to drive them often.
From what I understand (and researched), the Roush TVS and the Magnuson TVS are identical in technology base. It's just that Roush has the "name" out there... Magnuson has a loyal following too, and folks have good things to say about it as well. It's a bit cheaper than the roush with no heavy cuts/mods to install, unlike the Roush... so I'm leaning towards Magnuson at the moment.
Old 9/20/13, 01:41 PM
GTR Member

There are lots more power options with the Roush kits, lots more drive options and lots easier to upgrade to higher power levels.

The way the pulley is setup on the magnacharger you don't have all those options.
Old 9/20/13, 02:41 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,691 Likes on 1,209 Posts
Roush all day long!
Kenne Bell makes some very, very nice stuff too. But, no 2.3.
Old 9/20/13, 03:11 PM
I Have No Life

There are lots more power options with the Roush kits, lots more drive options and lots easier to upgrade to higher power levels.

The way the pulley is setup on the magnacharger you don't have all those options.
I confirmed with Magnuson that this is not true... pulley is a pulley. Switch pulley, load new tune, done. Supports up to 700hp.
Old 9/20/13, 03:23 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I confirmed with Magnuson that this is not true... pulley is a pulley. Switch pulley, load new tune, done. Supports up to 700hp.
Well I don't know anyone running Magnuson but know a bunch running Roush, Whipple, and Kenne Bell. If there is a better priced, better blower, more people would be running them. Magnuson has been in the blower business for a while but I wouldn't choose them over the three above. Just pay the little extra for that piece of mind that you're buying a proven performer.
Old 9/20/13, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
Roush all day long!
Agreed! I did a lot of research before going the Roush way. Not saying others are not good but you can't go wrong with the Roush.
As far as cost, I got my Stage II 625 complete kit from American Muscle with the 6% forum discount (another forum but I think they offer that discount on this forum once you have 50 post but not sure) whiched saved me $387 bucks.

Last edited by GT50GO; 9/20/13 at 03:43 PM.
Old 9/20/13, 05:49 PM
GTR Member

Still limited as to drive options if you ever want to go big on boost. All magnacharger offers is the drive system that uses the same belt as the main drive belt on the motor with only a I believe a 6 rib drive which will start slipping above about 8-10 psi of boost. Roush offers a stand alone drive system that is capable of supporting all the boost the TVS 2300 can put out without belt slip and almost limitless pulley options.

But hey, it's your car, your money, get whichever one trips your trigger, I was just trying to provide you with the recommendation info you were seeking.
Old 9/20/13, 06:19 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by GT50GO

Agreed! I did a lot of research before going the Roush way. Not saying others are not good but you can't go wrong with the Roush.
As far as cost, I got my Stage II 625 complete kit from American Muscle with the 6% forum discount (another forum but I think they offer that discount on this forum once you have 50 post but not sure) whiched saved me $387 bucks.
Yep... I liked roush too. But the more involved install (grinding cover etc) and of course the price, I will opt for something else I can install on my own and save $$$.

I have found a few more folks who run magnuson on their 5ohs and are very happy. I might be unique... Lol

Still limited as to drive options if you ever want to go big on boost. All magnacharger offers is the drive system that uses the same belt as the main drive belt on the motor with only a I believe a 6 rib drive which will start slipping above about 8-10 psi of boost. Roush offers a stand alone drive system that is capable of supporting all the boost the TVS 2300 can put out without belt slip and almost limitless pulley options.

But hey, it's your car, your money, get whichever one trips your trigger, I was just trying to provide you with the recommendation info you were seeking.
Np... I understand.

Yeah for now I plan to run it at stock magnuson tune. When the hunger comes again, I can change pulleys and tune. Then if I need further (hopefully never), I can upgrade then... I think 550whp is good enough for me.

Last edited by FromZto5; 9/20/13 at 06:20 PM.
Old 9/20/13, 06:22 PM
I Have No Life

Thanks for all the input guys....

Well.... I did something very very very bad today. I am officially going over to the dark side. The very DARK (and powder coated blue) side

Hehehehehe
Old 9/20/13, 06:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow....how does that feel to be entering into 550+ club....

Quick Reply: Need input - magnuson vs roush SC (almost ready to buy)