5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

My suspension plans

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/12, 11:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Revised suspension plans:

I've been putting this off and sitting on my *** for a while, but it's all happening in March when I put my summer wheels back on:

Koni Yellows (have them)
GT500 strut mounts (have them)
Steeda Sport springs (have them)

Buying now:

Fays2 Watts Link
Steeda HD CC plates
UMI Poly/Roto LCAs
FRPP "Track Pack" black Brembo wheels
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 275/35 all around

Might actually hold off on the LCAs until I try the other stuff. Either way I'll feel it out and see what else I need/want.
Old 1/19/12, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang

I've been putting this off and sitting on my *** for a while, but it's all happening in March when I put my summer wheels back on:

Koni Yellows (have them)

Buying now:

Fays2 Watts Link
Steeda HD CC plates
UMI Poly/Roto LCAs

Might actually hold off on the LCAs until I try the other stuff. Either way I'll feel it out and see what else I need/want.
I installed the Koni yellows and the Steeda springs wth the strut mounts last year. Flippin' fantastic difference. You'll need a spring compressor for the front. The rear is really easy. I want to also do the Fays2 watts link this year but we'll see how things go. Let me know how that is to install.

It's funny that you went from a 370Z to a Mustang. I was set on buying the 370Z but since I am 6'4" the interior room was a major issue. That's how I wound up with a Mustang!
Old 1/19/12, 01:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by thezfunk
I installed the Koni yellows and the Steeda springs wth the strut mounts last year. Flippin' fantastic difference. You'll need a spring compressor for the front. The rear is really easy. I want to also do the Fays2 watts link this year but we'll see how things go. Let me know how that is to install.

It's funny that you went from a 370Z to a Mustang. I was set on buying the 370Z but since I am 6'4" the interior room was a major issue. That's how I wound up with a Mustang!
I'll definitely let you know. I'm excited to get everything on. Right now I'm driving around my winter wheels/tires so it's a little numb... just have to get through winter and everything will go on.

The 370 is definitely a tight fit for some. I know a few 6'5" folks that fit in them fine but it all depends on where your height is... legs or upper body.

It was a great car. I loved it. Definitely the best "true" sports car you can get for that price point right now. What's surprising though is that the Brembo-equipped Mustangs are about dead even in the handling department... so it was great being able to jump to V8 power without sacrificing handling, which is what I care most about.
Old 1/19/12, 02:41 PM
Cobra R Member

any word on the 2011-12 specific Koni's coming out? Sam Strano said they were in the works
Old 1/19/12, 02:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
any word on the 2011-12 specific Koni's coming out? Sam Strano said they were in the works
Not sure on an ETA on the 2011-12. I suppose the only benefit to those is that you can use them with the stock strut mount, though I don't really know why anyone would want to reuse when they could upgrade.

I know that after 3 years they finally released the Yellows for the 370Z. Unlucky for them they are about $900 when discounted.
Old 1/19/12, 02:57 PM

When I disassembled my strut/spring assembly, one of the stock upper strut mounts literally fell apart spewing bearings everywhere. I couldn't have reused it even if I could/wanted to.
Old 1/19/12, 03:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by thezfunk
When I disassembled my strut/spring assembly, one of the stock upper strut mounts literally fell apart spewing bearings everywhere. I couldn't have reused it even if I could/wanted to.
How is the assembly process with the GT500 mounts and Steeda plates? I'm used to preassembled coilovers.
Old 1/19/12, 03:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Koni Yellows (have them)

Buying now:

Fays2 Watts Link
Steeda HD CC plates
UMI Poly/Roto LCAs

That's some great stuff! Post up a review when you get it all in.
Old 1/19/12, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

if i was going to upgrade my suspension- id do exactly what m4a1mustang picked out. thats going to be a great setup!!!! post back how you like it.

^^ i agree with hytek great stuff
Old 1/19/12, 03:20 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks guys... at this point I definitely think I'm going to skip on the LCAs and feel the car out with just the other stuff. I've at least got the GT500s so they're not terrible, and I have a feeling lowering the car and better controlling the axle will help eliminate the wheel hop.
Old 1/22/12, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

I just purchased and installed Sam's recommended set up of the yellows/Steeda HD strut mounts. I already have the Steeda Ultra-lites. The ride is so much better now. One thing i noticed (and not sure if it happened with everyone) but i had to find another nut/washer to bolt the strut mount on. Other than that i cannot wait till the weather clears up to do more testing.
Old 1/22/12, 07:35 AM
Bullitt Member

How is the assembly process with the GT500 mounts and Steeda plates? I'm used to preassembled coilovers.
You just pry off the rubber piece from the GT500's and put them on the Steeda's.
Old 1/22/12, 07:35 AM
Cobra Member

Why did you need to use another nut?
Old 1/22/12, 07:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Bigblue11
You just pry off the rubber piece from the GT500's and put them on the Steeda's.
Awesome, thanks.
Old 1/22/12, 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Why did you need to use another nut?
When trying to tighten down the plate to the spring the washer that came with it was too big.
Old 1/22/12, 07:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Bigblue11
When trying to tighten down the plate to the spring the washer that came with it was too big.
Gotcha. I'll keep that in mind when the time comes.

Also, just to update my plans I have removed the Track Pack wheels (I really want Forgestar F14s instead, so I'll do that later) and I am going to hold off on the LCAs until after I feel the car out with the Konis, Steeda Sports, and Watts Link.

Also, I added Carbotech XP8 pads. I like my HPS pads for general street use... they are quiet and have low dust. But there are places where I can get them **** near the point of failure.
Old 1/22/12, 10:44 AM

This is probably not news to anyone, but Sam Strano is a great guy and seller. I got my Koni STR.T and Eibach camber bolts from him to go with the H&R Super Sport.

I spent days looking for answers to my questions online. I gave him a call and he answered them all in 5 minutes.
Old 1/23/12, 12:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm glad to find a small pocket of people in the mustang forums to be actually discussing suspension/handling or riding on Fords jock and how ford racing parts are the best and can't be beat!

I too like most of you came from different makers...997.1, z4m, e46 m3, r56s, 350z hr and purchased a boss. Initially found it to be good but immediately noticed that the rear end has a slight left to right movement when compressed(shifting, braking). I narrowed it down to the panhard setup, and then when I took it on track I noticed the lack of body control on tight tracks and autox's as well as high speed sweepers where the body roll wasn't inspiring too much confidence.

My plans....

~h&r rss coilovers- my last car had kwv3 setup and it was good but the rss seems to get rave reviews on this chassis
~MM camber plates
~fay2 watts link

hankook rs3 in a staggered setup on enkei pf01

My question to those who have experienced the fay2- does it get rid of some of the rear body movement or is it the lack of shock valving I'm experiencing in the rear? thanks!
Old 1/23/12, 12:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Krnnerdboy
My question to those who have experienced the fay2- does it get rid of some of the rear body movement or is it the lack of shock valving I'm experiencing in the rear? thanks!
The Fays2 will eliminate that arc movement the axle takes when it moves up and down. It won't move left to right relative to the body. Another nice thing is that you've got the same roll center when you are turning left AND right.

In regular driving, and even spirited driving, the panhard setup in my Brembo package GT really feels no better or worse than the IRS in my Z. What really drives me nuts, though, are quick transitions (slalom for example) where you can feel the difference between turning left and turning right quickly. The Watts Link should take care of most of this... I know Modshack mentioned that he felt the difference while backing out of his driveway right after his install... it's that significant.

For the regular GTs, the upgraded Koni shocks should work wonders in controlling the body motion. The car is really underdamped. I feel like the rear shocks are matched for a car weighing 3,000 lbs, not 3,600!

I'm not really privy to the shock setup on the Boss. It wouldn't be a bad idea to give Sam Strano (stranoparts.com) a call and go over your plans with him... he'll make sure you're going in the right direction.

Last edited by m4a1mustang; 1/23/12 at 12:49 PM.
Old 1/23/12, 01:23 PM
V6 Member

So when are we going to start getting some reviews?

Quick Reply: My suspension plans