5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

My suspension plans

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/11, 05:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My suspension plans

So now that it appears Koni has put the Yellows back into production, I have been giving my suspension plans some more serious thought. I will probably give Sam a call today but this is the jist of what I have planned:

Koni Yellow adjustables
Steeda Sport springs
Eibach camber bolts
GT500 strut mounts (already ordered)
Fays2 Watts Link

I think that would really improve the handling.

Not sure if I wll order everything today or not. Probably just the Konis so I can have my order in -- I know I'll still have to wait a few months so that will give me time to think some more and get the rest of the bits and pieces.

I really wish I wanted the D-Specs because if I did I could have everything on the car this weekend.
Old 5/10/11, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out Ebay first on the Koni's. They have some sets up for sale there. Thats where I got mine, I paid slightly more but I got them in 3 days.
Old 5/10/11, 07:10 AM
Cobra Member

Hmm, I'll check that out.
Old 5/10/11, 07:13 AM
Bullitt Member

You really shouldn't have to wait all that long for the Konis. I'm getting the STR.T's which went back into production not long ago and Sam said my June timeline was reasonable. As long as I can get them on before I start my drive from CA to VA I'll be happy though.

Looks like a nice setup for your suspension. Only real difference from mine is I didn't go with the adjustibles, and went with the Steeda HD mounts for camber adjust. Hopefully you get everything soon and can get out and enjoy them.
Old 5/10/11, 08:08 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FCMalie
You really shouldn't have to wait all that long for the Konis. I'm getting the STR.T's which went back into production not long ago and Sam said my June timeline was reasonable. As long as I can get them on before I start my drive from CA to VA I'll be happy though.

Looks like a nice setup for your suspension. Only real difference from mine is I didn't go with the adjustibles, and went with the Steeda HD mounts for camber adjust. Hopefully you get everything soon and can get out and enjoy them.
If the wait is only a couple months then no big deal, I'll wait since the 20% sale is very nice. I don't want to rush anything so I can get everything I need and do it all at once.
Old 5/10/11, 09:53 AM
GT Member

[quote=m4a1mustang;6069981]So now that it appears Koni has put the Yellows back into production, I have been giving my suspension plans some more serious thought. I will probably give Sam a call today but this is the jist of what I have planned:

Koni Yellow adjustables
Steeda Sport springs
Eibach camber bolts
GT500 strut mounts (already ordered)
Fays2 Watts Link

I think that would really improve the handling.

That is a great set up, almost exactly what I'd like to do, I look forward to reading how much it improves your handling. I'm very interested in how it effects your ride quality, as well as any changes in NVH. Keep us posted.
Old 5/10/11, 10:19 AM
Cobra Member

Just got off the phone with Sam. I placed my Koni order just now to lock in the sale price and will order my springs and the Steeda HD strut mounts later when the Konis are due to arrive.

Sam advised I just start with the shocks/struts, springs, and the camber plates and see what how I like that. So, hopefully later in the summer I'll have the parts on the car and can offer some driving impressions!

Thanks again, Sam.
Old 5/11/11, 04:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Glad to see you got your order in. Sam is a great guy. A lot of people will try to sell you stuff you don't need just to make the extra buck, but he's pretty good about telling you just what you need for the way you want to drive it.
Old 5/19/11, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Just got off the phone with Sam. I placed my Koni order just now to lock in the sale price and will order my springs and the Steeda HD strut mounts later when the Konis are due to arrive.

Sam advised I just start with the shocks/struts, springs, and the camber plates and see what how I like that. So, hopefully later in the summer I'll have the parts on the car and can offer some driving impressions!

Thanks again, Sam.
That's exactly what he told me too. I am still leaning toward the watts link but I will trust the man with the master plan.

AutoX school this weekend will suck on stock suspension but it will give me a good baseline for when the rest of my parts get here.
Old 5/19/11, 08:39 PM
Cobra Member

I flogged the car on The Dragon today and don't really feel the need to switch to a Watts Link at this point. Sam saved me some money and I verified it today.
Old 5/20/11, 08:30 AM
GT Member

Glad to see you got your order in. Sam is a great guy. A lot of people will try to sell you stuff you don't need just to make the extra buck, but he's pretty good about telling you just what you need for the way you want to drive it.
I can't agree more, Sam is such a straight shooter. I called him yeaterday to order Koni Yellows, while they are still on sale. Once I told him my car hadn't been delivered yet, he wasn't interested in selling me anything, until I'd driven the car for a while & had a more conclusive idea of what it is that I want to change. You just don't find people like that these days, most people would've smelled an easy sale & rang it up, but not Sam he is about integrity all the way.
Old 5/20/11, 10:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
I flogged the car on The Dragon today and don't really feel the need to switch to a Watts Link at this point. Sam saved me some money and I verified it today.
Well...Sam likely saved you money, but trust me...As good as it is stock, it's better with the Watts link!
Old 5/20/11, 10:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
Well...Sam likely saved you money, but trust me...As good as it is stock, it's better with the Watts link!
True, but if you never plan on hitting the track a Watts link is an expensive luxury. I completely agree that having one is a huge improvement but to some people it truely is wasted money for how much they will push the car or not.
Old 5/20/11, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

True, but if you never plan on hitting the track a Watts link is an expensive luxury. I completely agree that having one is a huge improvement but to some people it truely is wasted money for how much they will push the car or not.
I do agree with you. Seems most Mustang owners would not have a clue and likely not see or feel any benefits here. My background is in mostly Euro cars, and vehicles a bit more handling oriented than the Mustang. 58 cars and I can count American ones I've owned on 5 fingers. I don't consider it an expensive luxury, but that's me, setting up the car the way I like it. I also spent 300 miles out in the Western Carolina twisties a week or so ago with a bunch of my Audi friends (most with tricked suspensions) and suffered no embarrassment. The car was awesome.
Old 5/20/11, 10:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I do agree with you. Seems most Mustang owners would not have a clue and likely not see or feel any benefits here. My background is in mostly Euro cars, and vehicles a bit more handling oriented than the Mustang. 58 cars and I can count American ones I've owned on 5 fingers. I don't consider it an expensive luxury, but that's me, setting up the car the way I like it. I also spent 300 miles out in the Western Carolina twisties a week or so ago with a bunch of my Audi friends (most with tricked suspensions) and suffered no embarrassment. The car was awesome.
I agree, I already have one sitting in my garage and my car doesn't arrive until the end of the month. That is still close to a week before I even get back in the country haha. I love driving the mountain twisties and am actually going cross country a month after picking up the car(full suspension work done prior to trip) and I am extremely looking forward to it. I'm not a straight line person, altho I like going to the strip every once in a while I prefer road courses.
Old 5/20/11, 01:42 PM
Cobra Member

Oh I will get one, but for now I'll play around with the panhard bar.

I am having no problem outrunning these modded Zs.
Old 5/22/11, 07:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
True, but if you never plan on hitting the track a Watts link is an expensive luxury.
Same thing can be said about the Sports over the STR.T's
Old 5/22/11, 07:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Digital_Synapse
Same thing can be said about the Sports over the STR.T's
I agree, and thats why even though I plan on occasional track time I'll be getting the STR.Ts.
Old 5/22/11, 02:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet.
Old 5/22/11, 07:34 PM

Completed my first AutoX in the Mustang today. It was more of an AutoX school with an AutoX afterward. I have done it before just never in the Mustang. We got a ton of seat time and I learned the stock suspension sucks! It felt like I was trying to steer a moose in heat.

I also figured out that the lag on electronic throttle isn't a big deal except when you expect an immediate response but don't get it. Then you try and compensate by pushing harder only to have it all kick in a second later which only serves in breaking your read end loose while you are trying to negotiate a chicane.

Now I have a really good comparison for when my Koni's ever show up and I can go out the next time with my new springs and dampers.

Oh and I still don't like the electronic steering assist. It really takes feeling out of the wheel that I look for when I am frantically trying to harness 412hp.

The Miatas pwned everyone. As per usual.

I have video, I just need to be motivated enough to clean it up and post it.

Quick Reply: My suspension plans