5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

My suspension plans

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/11, 02:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thezfunk
Completed my first AutoX in the Mustang today. It was more of an AutoX school with an AutoX afterward. I have done it before just never in the Mustang. We got a ton of seat time and I learned the stock suspension sucks! It felt like I was trying to steer a moose in heat.

I also figured out that the lag on electronic throttle isn't a big deal except when you expect an immediate response but don't get it. Then you try and compensate by pushing harder only to have it all kick in a second later which only serves in breaking your read end loose while you are trying to negotiate a chicane.

Now I have a really good comparison for when my Koni's ever show up and I can go out the next time with my new springs and dampers.

Oh and I still don't like the electronic steering assist. It really takes feeling out of the wheel that I look for when I am frantically trying to harness 412hp.

The Miatas pwned everyone. As per usual.

I have video, I just need to be motivated enough to clean it up and post it.
Interesting. I don't think it sucks but it could definitely be improved upon.

Brembo package?
Old 5/23/11, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Brembo package so I have the 'old man' suspension.
Old 5/23/11, 05:46 PM
Cobra Member

No Brembo package so I have the 'old man' suspension.
Gotcha. I'm sure a lot of that is due to the all-season tires.
Old 5/23/11, 07:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread, m4a1mustang, but I'm contemplating putting some suspension mods on my 5.0 and I was wondering if I could get some input from you guys. This is only my second car and the other one was a truck that was already done up when I bought it. So i'm kind of in uncharted waters for me, I was thinking of getting Koni coil-overs but that seems like it's overkill from what i'm reading. It'll probably mostly stay on public roads maybe throw it around some corners or some on ramps/off-ramps. I would like to possible auto x it in the future but for now what's best for me?
Old 5/23/11, 07:30 PM
Cobra Member

No problem, Blackbird.

I'm unaware of any Koni coilovers in existence for our cars. Only the Koni adjustable shocks/struts (yellows) and the Koni STR.T.

If you don't think you need any adjustability, but just want a better shock with more control, then the STR.T is probably for you. If you think you might be taking it a little more seriously and want some adjustment, then you've got the yellows. My advice would be to give Sam Strano a call in the morning and hash it out with him. He's really good at setting you up with just what you need.
Old 5/23/11, 07:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Do the STR.Ts provide a lowered appearance as well or no? I do want some better handling/control but i'm also looking for a little more aggressive stance as well. Thanks
Old 5/23/11, 07:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Blackbird.
Do the STR.Ts provide a lowered appearance as well or no? I do want some better handling/control but i'm also looking for a little more aggressive stance as well. Thanks
You're going to need to swap out your springs for lowering. There are a number of different options out there depending on how low you want to go.
Old 5/24/11, 12:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Hmm, I'll have to do some searching. I don't even know where to start.
Old 5/24/11, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Blackbird.
Hmm, I'll have to do some searching. I don't even know where to start.
http://www.stranoparts.com/ <--That's what you need.

Oh, and my autocross video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RuAKQn4CaA
Old 6/26/11, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
So now that it appears Koni has put the Yellows back into production, I have been giving my suspension plans some more serious thought. I will probably give Sam a call today but this is the jist of what I have planned:

Koni Yellow adjustables
Steeda Sport springs
Eibach camber bolts
GT500 strut mounts (already ordered)
Fays2 Watts Link

I think that would really improve the handling.

Not sure if I wll order everything today or not. Probably just the Konis so I can have my order in -- I know I'll still have to wait a few months so that will give me time to think some more and get the rest of the bits and pieces.

I really wish I wanted the D-Specs because if I did I could have everything on the car this weekend.
I wouldn't worry about the Watts link if I were you. Having raced several different live-axle vehicles in my time, I can tell you it's a piece that's pretty much a waste of money for the street. At the track it's only worth it within the last 5% of performance, provided everything else is properly set up, and it's not something that'll end up band-aiding another problem(people often install one piece or another, and call it the greatest thing since sliced bread because it's simply covering up for another problem that for whatever reason hasn't been addressed-I'd say it happens AT LEAST 50% of the time with chassis/suspension, as people get caught up in the b.s. hype and throw parts on their car because the website told them to. I like to call it 'Trick F&*k'
The Pan-Hard does basically the same thing, but the rip on those is they don't react the same way in left and right turns. And they 'give' under heavy load... Semantics...Sure it's true, but you really need a lot of laps on your car getting the suspension/chassis set up right, and then swapping between the two to see the difference. Again, on the street, loads are a lot lower.
Caveat here is I'm NOT a drag racer, so I can't comment on what it does for you when you slam the accelerator for 12 seconds at a time

Last edited by yokev; 6/26/11 at 02:27 AM.
Old 6/29/11, 11:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yokev
I wouldn't worry about the Watts link if I were you. Having raced several different live-axle vehicles in my time, I can tell you it's a piece that's pretty much a waste of money for the street.
Old 6/30/11, 01:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Synapse
Man has a point for a street driven car.

a Watt's link isn't going to magically transform the car on the street, the biggest thing you'd notice on the street is the lack of flex in the rod-ends (which will transmit a bit of noise as well).

I want one, but not because its some revolutionary piece, but because its the next thing in helping me drive more consistently out of turns.
Old 6/30/11, 01:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
a Watt's link isn't going to magically transform the car on the street
I can't wait to hear what you say right after you get one. lol
Old 6/30/11, 06:11 AM
Cobra Member

My front konis showed up... now I have to decide if I want to go through with it or not!
Old 6/30/11, 08:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by yokev
I wouldn't worry about the Watts link if I were you. Having raced several different live-axle vehicles in my time, I can tell you it's a piece that's pretty much a waste of money for the street.
Everyone has an opinion on this I suppose, but after coming from a Porsche, Corvette, and 370Z I find it one of the best mods I've done. Hardly a waste on the street if you place any value on handling, consistency, roll center adjustability etc.. Admittedly not a big priority for most Mustang guys from what I've seen.
Old 6/30/11, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Synapse
I can't wait to hear what you say right after you get one. lol
I'll let you know, haha. I've driven a couple cars with them, my comments relate in the street context.
Old 6/30/11, 02:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
Everyone has an opinion on this I suppose, but after coming from a Porsche, Corvette, and 370Z I find it one of the best mods I've done. Hardly a waste on the street if you place any value on handling, consistency, roll center adjustability etc.. Admittedly not a big priority for most Mustang guys from what I've seen.
I remember your comment when you said you could tell a difference immediately... immediately as in when you made the low-speed turn out of your drive way!
Old 7/1/11, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

I remember your comment when you said you could tell a difference immediately... immediately as in when you made the low-speed turn out of your drive way!
Yeah, but I'm a sensitive guy....
Old 7/1/11, 11:34 PM

My front konis showed up... now I have to decide if I want to go through with it or not!
Mine just showed up too. Hopefully I get all of that on the car this weekend and then we'll see about a watts link too.
Old 7/2/11, 07:42 AM
Cobra Member

Mine just showed up too. Hopefully I get all of that on the car this weekend and then we'll see about a watts link too.
Let me know how it goes. I'm mulling over a number of options right now:

1) Sell car, buy Porsche 911

2) Sell car, buy Viper

3) Sell car, buy M3

3) Keep car, remove Steeda CAI & Tune. Replace FRPP Sports with GT500 axle-back, then install suspension components.

Quick Reply: My suspension plans