Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

MGW Shifter + Boss Knob = Not enough threads?

Search this Thread

Old 12/29/12, 12:16 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGW Shifter + Boss **** = Not enough threads?

Has anyone else tried this setup? An MGW short throw shifter with a Boss 302 **** and boot? I'm only able to get a couple turns out of the **** before the plastic collar on the boot gets pinched between the **** and the center ring on the shifter shaft. Not sure what to do -- I thought this was a common setup.
Old 12/30/12, 01:16 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the boot sliding down all the way? I have heard that the plastic on one of the boots needed to be shaved to fit properly but that may have been on the stock shaft.

I put the GT500 boot on my MGW and the boot slide around the shaft nice and snug.
Old 12/30/12, 03:45 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by tbone004
Is the boot sliding down all the way? I have heard that the plastic on one of the boots needed to be shaved to fit properly but that may have been on the stock shaft.

I put the GT500 boot on my MGW and the boot slide around the shaft nice and snug.
The plastic ring slides down just fine, but I think it's hitting the collar at the middle of the MGW shaft and stopping, which doesnt leave enough room for the ball to screw down past a few turns. The bottom of the Boss shift ball has a long aluminum collar on it without threads inside.

I need to pull the console back up and confirm my suspicions.

You can see the collar that I'm talking about in this picture:

Last edited by Skandocious; 12/30/12 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12/30/12, 03:47 PM
V6 Member

Is this what your shifter/boot looks like?
Old 12/31/12, 02:31 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like the same boot, Mine will slide down to the collar on the bottom of the shaft.

Like you mentioned, might want to pull the console and remove the shaft from the shifter and see if you can tell where it is stopping by sliding it in the boot where you can see the bottom.

Old 12/31/12, 03:16 PM
Bullitt Member

My stock boss **** went on my MGW fine. What MGW handle did you get the stock thread pitch or a diff one?
Old 12/31/12, 06:47 PM
V6 Member

Looks like the same boot, Mine will slide down to the collar on the bottom of the shaft.

Like you mentioned, might want to pull the console and remove the shaft from the shifter and see if you can tell where it is stopping by sliding it in the boot where you can see the bottom.
Perhaps my post was misleading -- the boot you have and the one I posted before is NOT the one that I have. This is the boot that I have, with the little "chrome" plastic collar:

Name:  S16wU.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  110.4 KB

I took the console apart yesterday and found that the plastic collar is actually around .75" thick, maybe even a full inch. So it's eating up 1" of my shift shaft -- then the brushed aluminum neck attached to the bottom of the ball eats up another ~1.5", plus some unthreaded space inside the ball -- so at the end of the day I've only got a little bit of shaft left to screw the ball onto. Fact is, I think I just need a longer shift shaft.

Originally Posted by 96lasersnake
My stock boss **** went on my MGW fine. What MGW handle did you get the stock thread pitch or a diff one?
I got the stock thread pitch with the MGW -- my stock non-Boss **** threaded on just fine with the stock boot; this was my stock setup:

Name:  9q6Kq.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  78.9 KB

Last edited by Skandocious; 12/31/12 at 06:49 PM.