5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

JLT oil separator ?

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/11, 11:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On our old SHOs, which lack a PCV valve of any sort, oil blow-by is a real concern. We don't know of any engines that have actually failed because of oil accumulation in the intake, but it's a well-known truth that cleaning the intake out will gain you about 3-5hp on a car with 150k on it.

The difference is, the SHO's intake is a large, complicated, cast aluminum piece with lots of casting flash on the inside to catch oil and lots of places to keep it, and the 5.0's intake is a pretty smooth, small plastic intake. I doubt the impact would be nearly as severe on our Coyotes.

Be that as it may, though, smart money is on keeping the oil out of the intake to begin with. Catch-cans are a good addition to any engine, 11:1CR or not.
Old 11/21/11, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got a JLT oil separator

have never used one and cannot say that the '87 5.0 or '03 GT suffered for it and both are high mileage. that being said, I can see the benefits as far as reducing the oil vapor going into the intake and keeping it cleaner

on another note, I can say that JLT's customer service is outstanding
I purchased one used through this forum (thx !FWP), asked JLT for an aluminum straight fitting, the same day received a positive reply to my email and promptly received the fitting today
Old 11/22/11, 04:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m4reapr
I just got a JLT oil separator

have never used one and cannot say that the '87 5.0 or '03 GT suffered for it and both are high mileage. that being said, I can see the benefits as far as reducing the oil vapor going into the intake and keeping it cleaner

on another note, I can say that JLT's customer service is outstanding
I purchased one used through this forum (thx !FWP), asked JLT for an aluminum straight fitting, the same day received a positive reply to my email and promptly received the fitting today
Sweet! I should be getting mine tomorrow Ordered it with the alum straight fitting I think it will be a positive enifit o Ed the long run if u run ur car hard.