5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

JLT oil separator ?

Search this Thread

Old 11/13/11, 04:51 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JLT oil separator ?

I have had my car for a few months..only put a little over 2k mi on it. Work hasn't given me much time to drive it . I have been reading about this part and it seems like a pretty smart thing to install. Any opinions? and would be doing just one side make any sense? thanks
Old 11/13/11, 06:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Most people on this forum swear by them...but the very non-corporate seeming tech at my for dealer was very frank in saying that they're a waste of money and will likely give you warranty headaches if anything goes wrong with your motor while you're running it.

I still don't know what to think. There is some seemingly obvious some logic to using one but it's such a simple part that if it was that critical to performance, they probably would have been incorporated into the design.
Old 11/13/11, 07:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Hit the nail right on the head.
Old 11/13/11, 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Most people on this forum swear by them...but the very non-corporate seeming tech at my for dealer was very frank in saying that they're a waste of money and will likely give you warranty headaches if anything goes wrong with your motor while you're running it.

I still don't know what to think. There is some seemingly obvious some logic to using one but it's such a simple part that if it was that critical to performance, they probably would have been incorporated into the design.
Here's a few things to know. And PLEASE, do not take this as my bashing YOU.

1. Ford would NEVER know if you used this part. The JLT Oil Separator comes with it's own hoses for connecting it. They use OEM hoses too, so it hooks right up. It is literally a five minute install. If that if you're already used to working on cars. You take the stock hose off, install this. There is absolutely NO WAY Ford would ever be able to tell it was on there.

2. The amount of oil blow-by into the intake tract is ridiculous for this particular motor. Personally, I have never needed a catch can for an engine below 10.5:1 compression. This motor needs one IMHO. Take your intake hose off and look into the throttle body or, going even further, take off the TB and look into your intake. Covered in oil. This oil lowers your effective octane so if you run a custom intake and are tuned to 91/93, it's extra insurance to help prevent detonation. You will also notice that the oil inside the canister is often brown. This is the separator also removing the moisture from the return oil. As the oil moves from the upper head in an ionized state, it travels through the hose to the intake. While it travels through that hose, it cools off quickly, creating condensation. So this prevents not only oil from reaching your intake, but that condensation as well.

3. You only need one, and it's the passenger side, for a non-forced induction 5.0L.

4. Once I installed this, I no longer have to add oil between oil changes. I installed it at my first oil change at 2800 miles which is also when I went to full synthetic. The JLT canister will have about 1/2" of oil in it in between oil changes once your motor is broken in well. I also swapped over to full synthetic, so that also helped with not having to add oil between oil changes. I've done three oil changes so far with just over 12k miles on my Stang.

5. This part could not, will not, never will cause ANY problems with the engine. All it does is get the oil out of your intake tract. The venting still happens. Let me say it again, and I am NOT being condescending when I say it, THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL this part could cause ANY harm to your engine. Period. Your tech is outright ignorant in regards to this particular topic.

As a helicopter mechanic for over 20 years and as a car mechanic since I was 12 in my dad's shop, I've got enough experience behind me to be quite comfortable with my statements on this.

Last edited by VTXFrank; 11/13/11 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Added more info.
The following users liked this post:
alnfong (10/24/21)
Old 11/13/11, 08:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by VTXFrank

1. Ford would NEVER know if you used this part. The JLT Oil Separator comes with it's own hoses for connecting it. They use OEM hoses too, so it hooks right up. It is literally a five minute install. If that if you're already used to working on cars. You take the stock hose off, install this. There is absolutely NO WAY Ford would ever be able to tell it was on there.

2. The amount of oil blow-by into the intake tract is ridiculous for this particular motor. Personally, I have never needed a catch can for an engine below 10.5:1 compression. This motor needs one IMHO. Take your intake hose off and look into the throttle body or, going even further, take off the TB and look into your intake. Covered in oil. This oil lowers your effective octane so if you run a custom intake and are tuned to 91/93, it's extra insurance to help prevent detonation. You will also notice that the oil inside the canister is often brown. This is the separator also removing the moisture from the return oil. As the oil moves from the upper head in an ionized state, it travels through the hose to the intake. While it travels through that hose, it cools off quickly, creating condensation. So this prevents not only oil from reaching your intake, but that condensation as well.

3. You only need one, and it's the passenger side, for a non-forced induction 5.0L.

4. Once I installed this, I no longer have to add oil between oil changes. I installed it at my first oil change at 2800 miles which is also when I went to full synthetic. The JLT canister will have about 1/2" of oil in it in between oil changes once your motor is broken in well. I also swapped over to full synthetic, so that also helped with not having to add oil between oil changes. I've done three oil changes so far with just over 12k miles on my Stang.

5. This part could not, will not, never will cause ANY problems with the engine. All it does is get the oil out of your intake tract. The venting still happens. Let me say it again, and I am NOT being condescending when I say it, THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL this part could cause ANY harm to your engine. Period. Your tech is outright ignorant in regards to this particular topic.

As a helicopter mechanic for over 20 years and as a car mechanic since I was 12 in my dad's shop, I've got enough experience behind me to be quite comfortable with my statements on this.
How much do they run price wise??
Old 11/13/11, 08:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good explanation Frank! I've been meaning to get one of those.
Old 11/13/11, 08:44 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Great explanation Frank.

All it take is one looks inside the intake to see these cars need a catch can bad.
Old 11/13/11, 08:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

I got mine for $119 from AM, a must if you aske me, and it a great looking piece, looks good under the hood . Here is a tutorial on the install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFt1JLiQkDE
Old 11/13/11, 09:00 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by VTXFrank

Frank, looking at your point #3, what about on a supercharged engine?
Old 11/13/11, 09:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the comments.

Keeping oil out of your intake and it causing a warranty issue is funny. Oil in your intake, throttle body, valves, combustion chamber or anywhere air and fuel mix has NO benifit.

The 5.0 is terrible and the first time you look in the tank and see how much in as little as a few hundred miles you collect you will tell everyone you know to get one.
No snake oil, no magic, they work.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks
Jay

BTW, the more I drive my 5.0 the more I'm seeing oil on both sides. Not much on the driver side, but enough to coat the tank walls. I still say only one is needed, but we do offer both for those wanting as much protection as they can get.
Old 11/13/11, 10:14 AM
GT Member

This is next on my list. Good write up man
Old 11/13/11, 10:16 AM
Cobra R Member

Good threads here:
https://themustangsource.com/f800/jl...-5-0-a-489790/

https://themustangsource.com/f669/jl...nstall-484044/
Old 11/13/11, 10:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Same here, getting one soon. Agreed, there is NO WAY possible for it to cause warranty or engine problems. If u take it off, no way to tell it was ever there
Old 11/13/11, 11:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Question, does anyone else make an oil separator?! Just like to browse Around at what's available first. I think steeda has one, anyone else?
Old 11/13/11, 11:14 AM
GT Member

heard some questionable reviews about the steeda ones with regards to install. From what i hear, the JLT is the more complete kit.

Can anyone confirm?
Old 11/13/11, 11:16 AM
Cobra R Member

I was hoping there was a black one out there. Or one without any engraving
Old 11/13/11, 11:33 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
I was hoping there was a black one out there. Or one without any engraving
JLT does make a black one. I got mine from Brenspeed: http://www.brenspeed.com/jltosp-fmg11-b.html

No engraving. It actually looks like it came with the car.
Old 11/13/11, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
If u take it off, no way to tell it was ever there
Sure they can tell... The intake will be clean!

I have one also.
Old 11/13/11, 02:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Agree 10000x with VTXFrank. It is a must and for 119 bucks it's just stupid not to have one. I said it before(not that it was a gallon) but the first time I emptied mine I was amazed. Also the black one is great and you don't even really notice the engraving. JLT has made it so simple with the hoses already connected it's just about as easy an upgrade as you can make. Plus my car instantly cut like four secs in the 1/4 mile with it..........ok maybe not but it's great.
Old 11/13/11, 03:42 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I think this was covered in another thread, but can anyone explain why the oil separator is only needed on the passenger side?
Thanks

Quick Reply: JLT oil separator ?