GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JLT Oil Separator Install

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/10, 02:07 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JLT Oil Separator Install

I just received and installed my new JLT Oil Separator today. It took longer to snap a few pictures than complete the installation. I won't go into depth on the installation because it's just not necessary.
The JLT separator comes fit with all the hoses and quick connectors needed for installation. It's very well made and looks right at home under my hood with my existing Scott Drake Billet caps.

OE PCV line

JLT Separator

I left the oil cup off for installation

Installation complete

Here is a picture of the old PCV line, the picture doesn't really show how much oil and crud was in it though.

The instructions recommend removing and checking for oil every 1000 miles which I'm not sure is needed.
Old 6/5/10, 02:22 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

A few more of everything together.

Old 6/5/10, 03:58 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny, I just got mine in the mail today also. Took all of 5 minutes to install. Really a quality piece.
GrumpysGT
Old 6/5/10, 04:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty cool. looks right at home.
Where'd you buy it from?

I take it the oil separators keep the engine more efficient?
Does not having one hinder it's performance?
Old 6/5/10, 05:32 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
Pretty cool. looks right at home.
Where'd you buy it from?

I take it the oil separators keep the engine more efficient?
Does not having one hinder it's performance?
I got mine here, http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/in...roducts_id=317 They've been on back order for a while now.

The separator keeps oil from entering the intake.
"During the process of venting crankcase pressure back through your intake track, large amounts of oil, in the form of vapors, can coat your blower rotors, intercooler fins and even dilute your gas, lowering its octane level. This happens on all engines and is even worse when supercharged as crankcase pressures are increased."

Last edited by NJ3; 6/5/10 at 05:38 PM.
Old 6/5/10, 06:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Looks great! I like how they considered everything for an EZ install. I wish more companies would take that approach.
Old 6/5/10, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Question "Is That True"

FYI: Word out there has it that the oil separators also help to slow down that sticky carbon oil crud build up on the earlier S-197 V-8 engine spark plugs too? Can anyone here using them now verify that one for us here gang? CalStang
Old 6/5/10, 08:53 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CalStang'07
FYI: Word out there has it that the oil separators also help to slow down that sticky carbon oil crud build up on the earlier S-197 V-8 engine spark plugs too? Can anyone here using them now verify that one for us here gang? CalStang
I had seen this thread and is what helped to influence me to purchase a separator. It seems to have worked for GRAYPNY.
https://themustangsource.com/showthr...&highlight=oil
Old 6/5/10, 09:53 PM
V6 Member

After installing it, it looks factory, no clamps. When I ordered mine, guy I talked to said they bought new lines from Ford and simply cut the line and inserted the seperator with factory type crimps. With the factory clips it literally takes less than 30 seconds to install.
GrumpysGT
Old 6/5/10, 10:02 PM

Just ordered one....this is the best kind of advertising there is. (and those chrome valve covers are slick)

I was considering MacGuyver-ing up a RACOR unit. It was likely major overkill but they are pretty well known in marine and diesel use to perform quite well. However, this one looks pretty solid, and is obviously well thought out. SOLD! Thanks for posting.
Old 6/6/10, 03:32 AM
Cobra Member

Cool looking kit. Just as easy to delete it tho..
Old 6/6/10, 01:16 PM

Hey everyone, this might be a silly question, but would installing this oil separator on a car that isnt supercharged be beneficial? If so, should it be a mod that I add to my list?
Old 6/6/10, 02:14 PM
Cobra Member

Mine isnt SC and i was sucking mass amount of oil into the plenum.
Old 6/6/10, 03:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AnthonyWHAT
Hey everyone, this might be a silly question, but would installing this oil separator on a car that isnt supercharged be beneficial? If so, should it be a mod that I add to my list?
I have one on each side different brand) vented to a filter. I am NA but the oil crap that gets into your intake is just disgusting. That junk is part of the carbon on plugs problem with this motor. I would install a set of these on all 4.6L 3V motors.

I can route it back into the intake with just a hose and pull the filter off, if needed for inspection. My car runs better without it into my intake system.

Old 6/6/10, 03:11 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyWHAT
pics:

https://themustangsource.com/showthr...60#post5885260
Old 6/6/10, 03:37 PM
Cobra R Member

On my 2010 with 13k in miles I just checked my hose, and the thing was pretty filthy. I took a rolled up paper towel to it and cleaned it out a good bit... after seeing this thread and my own piece, I'll probably spring for one of these pretty soon.
Old 6/8/10, 11:38 AM
V6 Member

In case anyone's interested, this seperator really works. Put mine on Saturday, took a 110 mile cruise on Sunday and just for the heck of it, checked the seperator. Had about a teaspoon's worth of oil in the bottom. My Mustang is a 2007 with just under 20,000 miles on it, change oil and filter every 3500-4000 miles, Mobil I synthetic and Ford filter. Always lost a bit of oil between changes, and now I know where it went-right to the combustion chamber where it could give the plugs and pistons a nice build-up of crud.
GrumpysGT
Old 6/8/10, 12:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GrumpysGT
In case anyone's interested, this seperator really works. Put mine on Saturday, took a 110 mile cruise on Sunday and just for the heck of it, checked the seperator. Had about a teaspoon's worth of oil in the bottom. My Mustang is a 2007 with just under 20,000 miles on it, change oil and filter every 3500-4000 miles, Mobil I synthetic and Ford filter. Always lost a bit of oil between changes, and now I know where it went-right to the combustion chamber where it could give the plugs and pistons a nice build-up of crud.
GrumpysGT
Full synthetic oils have been known to make this problem worse. It's a good thing you got the seperator.
Old 6/8/10, 12:36 PM

I havent seen one of those before...did you purchase it directly from JLT, and how much did it set ya back for one?
Old 6/8/10, 02:20 PM
V6 Member

It ran 119.00 from JLT, with free shipping. They offer several options as far as finish and right or left side. While it may seem high, its a quality piece and looks like a factory installed piece, not something put together with hoses and clamps.
As far as the syn oil, I've noticed on various cars I've had in the past (always used syn oil) that some use a bit and some don't. My Taurus uses a bit but my wife's Subaru Outback stays full. Point is, the seperator really showed me what was going back into the intake, and now what isn't.
GrumpysGT

Quick Reply: JLT Oil Separator Install