Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

JLT Oil Separator for the 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/11, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I figured it probably wasn't strictly necessary, but I felt the sharp edges of the engine cover and decided that installing the can wasn't worth sliced hands. Besides, it really does make it a lot easier not having to fumble around under there.
Old 3/16/11, 12:46 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
being in the 10% sucks, I gotta buy 2 rather then one.

So much stuff to buy before this first event this season (April 9th), might not have been the best time to buy a new house eh?
Old 3/19/11, 05:09 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Purchased this a few weeks ago and just went out to install it in the car.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I have to agree with hawkeye18 - it seems like you have to remove the STB bar so you can lift up the engine cover to get to the intake. I took a flashlight and peered under and I don't think I would be able to unhook the existing tube and connect this tube without removing the STB/engine cover.

Didn't have any tools handy and was expecting a 1 minute "remove this tube, put in this tube" so guess I'll try this tomorrow.

Any tips for removing the STB and engine cover? Just unbolt STB and lift engine cover, or are there catches on the cover?
Old 3/19/11, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by SD6
Purchased this a few weeks ago and just went out to install it in the car.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I have to agree with hawkeye18 - it seems like you have to remove the STB bar so you can lift up the engine cover to get to the intake. I took a flashlight and peered under and I don't think I would be able to unhook the existing tube and connect this tube without removing the STB/engine cover.

Didn't have any tools handy and was expecting a 1 minute "remove this tube, put in this tube" so guess I'll try this tomorrow.

Any tips for removing the STB and engine cover? Just unbolt STB and lift engine cover, or are there catches on the cover?

After you get the brace off just pull up on the cover and it will pop off.
Old 3/20/11, 07:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

With a flashlight you can find the little tab on the clip and pull it. Worth the look Vs pulling the bar and cover.

Thanks
Jay
Old 3/20/11, 03:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Took me no more than 5 minutes by just lifting the front of the intake cover and un-snapping the the old tube out. Installation was a breeze as well. No need to remove the TSB.
Old 3/20/11, 04:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Took me no more than 5 minutes by just lifting the front of the intake cover and un-snapping the the old tube out. Installation was a breeze as well. No need to remove the TSB.
I agree. U don't need to remove it. Just get a flashlight n it takes five minutes tops. On a separate note, I have only driven my car like 40 miles in the last two months since I installed it n WOW I can't believe how much oil was in it!!!!!!!!!! This is a MUST install IMO.
Old 3/20/11, 04:32 PM
FR500 Member

Is there going to be a version compatible with the Boss intake soon?
Old 3/20/11, 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mystickeith50
I agree. U don't need to remove it. Just get a flashlight n it takes five minutes tops. On a separate note, I have only driven my car like 40 miles in the last two months since I installed it n WOW I can't believe how much oil was in it!!!!!!!!!! This is a MUST install IMO.
OK I'm in.....just ordered Black Anodized for passenger side.
Old 3/20/11, 08:24 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Thanks Daniel, above worked perfectly! I didn't think about just lifting the front of the cover, for some reason I thought it was all-or-nothing. So I put a cloth over the intake cover below where the STB is, lifted the front up, and then easily had enough room to unplug the old hose/plug in the new hose.

Perfect fit, great product, looking forward to see how much oil I'll see there in the upcoming week.
Old 3/21/11, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just got back from a road trip to Pittsburgh (~700 miles), car has 1300 on it now. Jesus, this thing has a lot of oil in it. I took pics of it in Pittsburgh; I haven't seen what it looks like here yet.

More concerning is the large number of metal shavings in it. It looks like glitter.
Old 3/21/11, 01:09 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye18
More concerning is the large number of metal shavings in it. It looks like glitter.
That would make me change the oil asap!
Old 3/21/11, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Just got back from a road trip to Pittsburgh (~700 miles), car has 1300 on it now. Jesus, this thing has a lot of oil in it. I took pics of it in Pittsburgh; I haven't seen what it looks like here yet.

.....I hope your kidding around........
Old 3/21/11, 06:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GRABOID
.....I hope your kidding around........
Originally Posted by cdynaco

These pics are from pittsburgh - about 400 miles ago. I couldn't get the Evo to focus correctly, so yes the oil is blurry. You can still see what I'm talking about, though.

This was about ~350mi after installing the catch can, and with about 800 miles on the car.
Old 3/21/11, 07:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I'm worried to see metal shavings as well when looking into the oil catch can and have to do an early oil change . I'm still running the original oil with 800 miles on the odometer. With all these guys having issues with ticking engines after performing an oil change got my anxiety up.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 3/21/11 at 08:33 PM.
Old 3/22/11, 10:28 AM
GT Member

Has anyone else, on the forum, experienced these shaving in the catch can, on their 2011 or 2012 GTs?
Old 3/22/11, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here's a better pic of my catch can, taken today. There's about 1320mi on the odo now.

I'm not gonna do anything right now. I'm gonna let it fill up a little more again and see if it still contains shavings. If it does, I'll change the filter and see how that works out.

I'm not too worried about it right now. Besides, that's what warranties are for.
Attached Thumbnails JLT Oil Separator for the 5.0-_mg_1761-1280x768-.jpg  
Old 3/22/11, 06:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's a better pic of my catch can, taken today. There's about 1320mi on the odo now.

I'm not gonna do anything right now. I'm gonna let it fill up a little more again and see if it still contains shavings. If it does, I'll change the filter and see how that works out.

I'm not too worried about it right now. Besides, that's what warranties are for.
Wow, after seeing these pics I'm considering getting one of these even though my car has yet to be delivered.

In regards to the metal shavings, is this still your original oil from the factory or have you done an oil change since then after breaking in the car?
Old 3/22/11, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Is the metal from the filter? And if so might it also be in the hose going into the intake putting metal in it?
Old 3/22/11, 08:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mtnbikefuel80
Wow, after seeing these pics I'm considering getting one of these even though my car has yet to be delivered.

In regards to the metal shavings, is this still your original oil from the factory or have you done an oil change since then after breaking in the car?
I would recommend it. The pic from today was taken about ~800-900 miles after its installation - two long highway trips with several spirited runs in between.

Originally Posted by GRABOID
Is the metal from the filter? And if so might it also be in the hose going into the intake putting metal in it?
I don't know what the metal is from, but I do know that it is very fine, almost like a powder. It could be from the oil; it could be from the catch can itself. That's why I wiped it out until it was clean and reinstalled it. If the cloud shows up again, I'll change the oil and filter.

Quick Reply: JLT Oil Separator for the 5.0