5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Help me choose and axleback

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/16, 03:08 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As others have said, it's going to come down to personal preference. But here is one more vote for the Borla S-Type. With the S-Type cat back I do not have any drone in 6th gear on the highway. In 5th gear on the highway you can hear the exhaust but it is not drone. I always get compliments on how it sounds.
Old 3/25/16, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by BLK STANG
5.MONSTER, Great thank you for all the help. And you said thats between the s types and the corsa extremes right?
Yes sir, and no problem.
Old 3/25/16, 03:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I went with Ford Racing GT500 Single AB. They are made by Borla and sound great. If I wanted louder with more Crackle I would of went with the Roush's.
Old 3/25/16, 06:15 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,797 Posts
So I suppose nobody on here has a clue who manufactures the Roush axle backs
Old 3/26/16, 08:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I originally put a Roush AB on my 14 GT but it got to be too loud so I went with the single tip GT500 AB. I then went resonator delete with the GT500 and now it's perfect.

I like the GT500 so much that I have another new set just in case mine get damaged or eventually rust out. I don't like overly loud exhaust anymore so these are perfect for me.

Wayne
Old 3/26/16, 09:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Here is our Steeda Axle-Back - great sound & price (even better if you take advantage of our forum discount)!

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang...515-steeda-11/

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 3/26/16, 11:26 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for all the help everyone, bought the S types last night on sale and Im super excited. Quick question for everyone with s types though, Ive been reading about drilling weep holes for the muffler, do the s types today still not come pre drilled with these weep holes? and if not where exactly should I drill them. I wanna do it before I put the mufflers on the car.
Old 3/26/16, 02:28 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for all the help everyone, bought the S types last night on sale and Im super excited. Quick question for everyone with s types though, Ive been reading about drilling weep holes for the muffler, do the s types today still not come pre drilled with these weep holes? and if not where exactly should I drill them. I wanna do it before I put the mufflers on the car.
Mine do not have have weep holes. I think your best bet would be to reach out to Borla and see what they recommend based on how you use your car, daily driver or as a nice day weekend car.
Old 3/26/16, 03:20 PM

I thought you were leaning towards the Corsa's
Old 3/26/16, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by esir_spd
As others have said, it's going to come down to personal preference. But here is one more vote for the Borla S-Type. With the S-Type cat back I do not have any drone in 6th gear on the highway. In 5th gear on the highway you can hear the exhaust but it is not drone. I always get compliments on how it sounds.
From my understanding and from the reviews I've read on both Amazon and American Muscle's website, owners of the 05-10 4.6L 3 valve Mustangs have complained about the Borla S-type droning from running either off-road pipes or long tube headers with aftermarket high-flow cats..

So my question is this.. Are the Borla S-type's less prone for droning on the 5.0 Coyote 4 valves over the 4.6L 3 valves or about the same

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/26/16 at 05:54 PM.
Old 3/26/16, 10:37 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,154 Likes on 827 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Shane ! By any chance would you happen to know who's the manufacturer of the Roush axle backs ? I heard that it's Borla

-Rocky
From what I understand they are designed by Roush. Not sure who actually builds them. But I really love the way my car sounds. Load and obnoxious when I want, but a tamer loud if I keep my foot out of it.

Of course I also have the boss quad exhaust which adds another dimension. Sure turns the heads!

The dual chamber "square" tip is also a nice touch. FYI, I have had these adjusted since this picture was taken. Got crap last time I posted this shot. They are now centered better in the rear valance.
Attached Thumbnails Help me choose and axleback-img_3117_s.jpg  

Last edited by shaneyusa; 3/26/16 at 10:47 PM.
Old 3/27/16, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
From what I understand they are designed by Roush. Not sure who actually builds them. But I really love the way my car sounds. Load and obnoxious when I want, but a tamer loud if I keep my foot out of it.

Of course I also have the boss quad exhaust which adds another dimension. Sure turns the heads!

The dual chamber "square" tip is also a nice touch. FYI, I have had these adjusted since this picture was taken. Got crap last time I posted this shot. They are now centered better in the rear valance.
Thanks for replying back Shane Your Roush setup looks really bada$$ and as you know, I'm looking for that deeper/throatier sound but without the annoying cabin drone.. I'm pretty much still running the stock mid pipe with cats for emission purposes, therefore running an off road exhaust is really not an option lol..

So far, my choices have been between Corsa sport axle backs and Borla S-type and if the Roush setup is also available in 304 grade SS ? Then I'll definitely be interested with their axle back system as well..

-Rocky
Old 3/28/16, 09:34 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Looks like I'm too late. Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier.

I responded to YOUR pm to me, about the Borlas.

Sounds like you read my thread I posted a couple years ago. My stance still stands. My recommendation - return the Borlas. No need to go into the reasons here, just search my thread.

Corsas - I have the Extremes, and everyday I start the car, I fall in love all over again. 1 set, perfect in every way in terms of fit, finish, welds, and sound. Hands down. Almost 3 years later, they are literally perfect in every way. Take that for what you will...

fyi, after you drill the weep holes on those S Type Borlas, the rust will start THERE, along as along the welds. The water will trickle to the outer edges of the mufflers and corrode from there. You seen my pics right? That was after a FEW MONTHS of use.
Old 3/28/16, 09:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Looks like I'm too late. Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier.

I responded to YOUR pm to me, about the Borlas.

Sounds like you read my thread I posted a couple years ago. My stance still stands. My recommendation - return the Borlas. No need to go into the reasons here, just search my thread.

Corsas - I have the Extremes, and everyday I start the car, I fall in love all over again. 1 set, perfect in every way in terms of fit, finish, welds, and sound. Hands down. Almost 3 years later, they are literally perfect in every way. Take that for what you will...

fyi, after you drill the weep holes on those S Type Borlas, the rust will start THERE, along as along the welds. The water will trickle to the outer edges of the mufflers and corrode from there. You seen my pics right? That was after a FEW MONTHS of use.
As evidenced by FromZto5's probe with Borla, he had a very different experience than I have. I daily drive my car and put on more miles in 3 months than he has in 5 years I did not drill any weep holes and have zero rust on my Borlas after 3 years.

As for your question about drone on the 4.6 cars versus the 5.0 cars, I can't say - never been in a 4.6 with them to know.
Old 3/28/16, 12:56 PM
V6 Member

From my understanding and from the reviews I've read on both Amazon and American Muscle's website, owners of the 05-10 4.6L 3 valve Mustangs have complained about the Borla S-type droning from running either off-road pipes or long tube headers with aftermarket high-flow cats..

So my question is this.. Are the Borla S-type's less prone for droning on the 5.0 Coyote 4 valves over the 4.6L 3 valves or about the same
I have stock headers and cats so I do not have any first hand experience on this...
Old 3/28/16, 03:23 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by kylerohde
As evidenced by FromZto5's probe with Borla, he had a very different experience than I have. I daily drive my car and put on more miles in 3 months than he has in 5 years I did not drill any weep holes and have zero rust on my Borlas after 3 years.

As for your question about drone on the 4.6 cars versus the 5.0 cars, I can't say - never been in a 4.6 with them to know.
I know Kyle and his experience is much better than mine. Perhaps I just got a bad batch series, etc.... David Borla did acknowledge that they were having "jig/fixture" issues at the time, which explained the misaligned parts. The weld issues I didn't really get a clear answer on. I forget if they were welded by hand or machine.

Good luck with your decision OP! Let us know either way.
Old 3/28/16, 07:45 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the insight Z and thanks everyone else who chimed in to help. I contacted Borla and they told me that some of the new pairs might have weep holes while others may not. I will wait and see if mine do, if not I will drill them myself and go from there. I can also make an exhaust video of the S types along with my off-road x for anyone curious as to how they sound.

I was so back-and-forth between the extremes and S types, but after listening to endless videos on YouTube I just like the tone of the S types along with off road X better than the extremes.
Old 3/28/16, 09:57 PM

Did you listen to sound clips of the Corsa Sports at all ?
Old 3/29/16, 05:54 AM
GT Member

Did you listen to sound clips of the Corsa Sports at all ?
I did and the corsa sports sounded way too quiet with an off road x compared to the s types, at least in videos anyway
Old 3/29/16, 07:44 AM
I Have No Life

I did and the corsa sports sounded way too quiet with an off road x compared to the s types, at least in videos anyway
Have you heard a vid with the Extremes and off road x?

In a month or so, I'm going with the LTH's, Quad H, hi flow cats, side pipes to go with my cat back extremes... I will redefine what the word "loud" means.

Quick Reply: Help me choose and axleback