Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Help me choose and axleback

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/16, 12:36 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Help me choose an axleback

Hey guys, posted this thread on another forum but didn't get much response so wanted to see if anyone here had any insight. So as much as I love my flowmaster outlaws, I thing they are starting to get a little too obnoxious even though this isn't my daily. The in cabin drone is awful and the outlaws just seem to loose their tone at certain rpms. So I narrowed my choices down to two axlebacks, Corsa extremes and Borla S types. Both Ive heard don't drone but still sound great so just wanted some of yalls opinions on which you prefer and why. I haven't heard the extremes in person before only the S types and the bolas definitely sounded good. Btw I have a lethal off road X but put my stock resonators back in because the rasp was too loud with the outlaws, so if anyone has this setup or can just give a comparison between the two Id appreciate it

Thanks

Last edited by BLK STANG; 3/23/16 at 12:45 PM.
Old 3/23/16, 01:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
13-14= GT500.

Close thread
Old 3/23/16, 01:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
^ Cant go wrong with the GT500 for a 13/14, but I'll throw out the Kooks/Steeda option. It has a good rumble to it. As you stated the Borla S is a good option.
Old 3/23/16, 01:50 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,584 Posts
If you can afford the Corsa's, I would highly recommend them over the Borla "S" type and Borla ATAK's.. However I'm quite sure your also well aware of just how expensive the Corsa's are over the Borla's, but from my understanding the Corsa's are specifically engineered and designed to prevent droning to begin with..

As for the Borla's.. I've read mixed reviews about them on Amazon in which some have said they've experienced really annoying drone in the low/mid RPM ranges, while others have claimed they haven't noticed any drone at all..

From those who complained about the droning issues, most of them were either running off road exhausts or running long tube headers with high-flow catted mid-pipes..

On the other hand, from those who didn't complain also did not mention as to whether they're running the stock exhaust or aftermarket.. Therefore I just don't have enough info to confirm one way or the other at this point..

At any rate, as I mentioned at the beginning.. If you can afford the pricing for the Corsa's ? they would be your best option concerning the drone issues or you can also look into Bassani exhaust "S" types as a possible alternative as well..

In the meantime, if your heart is set on the Borla's ? I would recommend doing some extensive research before purchasing them..
Old 3/23/16, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
13-14= GT500.

Close thread
I also looked into the GT500's by Ford Racing.. However they're only available in 409 grade SS.. I'm interested in the higher grade/polished 304 grade SS..
Old 3/23/16, 04:19 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the opinions guys, Im still undecided but might be leaning towards the corsas just because I found them at a good price. Although I heard a few clips with the borlas and off road x and it sounds phenomenal.
Old 3/23/16, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by BLK STANG
Thanks for the opinions guys, Im still undecided but might be leaning towards the corsas just because I found them at a good price. Although I heard a few clips with the borlas and off road x and it sounds phenomenal.
Where did you find the great pricing for the Corsa's from ? As they're also my first choice as well.. If you don't want to reveal your source in this thread ?

Just submit a PM instead !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/23/16 at 05:18 PM.
Old 3/23/16, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
This may be a stupid question but can you even buy the GT500 Axle Backs anymore? I thought Ford Racing discontinued them?!
Old 3/23/16, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I've heard both Corsas and Borla S types. They both sound fantastic, but give you a different tone. Tough to say which to choose. That's more of your personal preference. I'd go Borla, but that's just my $0.02
Old 3/23/16, 08:00 PM
GT Member

@5.MONSTER what kind of differences did you notice between the two? I really would like the louder and more aggressive sound out of the two, I just don't want the drone.
Old 3/23/16, 08:07 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Hard to explain, but perhaps the biggest difference is less popping and cracking with Corsa? And a bit more rasp out of the Borla.
Old 3/23/16, 08:22 PM
GT Member

5.MONSTER, Great thank you for all the help. And you said thats between the s types and the corsa extremes right?
Old 3/23/16, 09:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
As for the Borla's.. I've read mixed reviews about them on Amazon in which some have said they've experienced really annoying drone in the low/mid RPM ranges, while others have claimed they haven't noticed any drone at all..
I'm not sure how accurate Amazon reviews are for automotive aftermarket, but there is zero drone with the S-Types on 2011+ cars. None. They're great, as are Corsas. Those are the two best choices and you can't go wrong, IMO.
Old 3/23/16, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by kylerohde
I'm not sure how accurate Amazon reviews are for automotive aftermarket, but there is zero drone with the S-Types on 2011+ cars. None. They're great, as are Corsas. Those are the two best choices and you can't go wrong, IMO.
Kyle ! The Amazon reviews I read were supposedly from customers who purchased the Borla "S" types from Amazon.. Now I can't say one way or the other how accurate they are or not.. However as I mentioned in my previous post, most of the negative reviews that I read were from alleged customers who claimed they experienced drone from the "S" types that ran non-catted exhausts or with long tube headers with aftermarket high-flow cats..

Therefore I'm just posting info by the reviews in which I read and nothing more..
In the meantime, I'm still looking into the Borla "S" type as my first choice followed by Bassani and Corsa respectively

-Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/23/16 at 10:37 PM.
Old 3/23/16, 10:54 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
I love my Roush Axle backs. Loud when you put your foot in it, they are quite enough when cruising the freeway to still have a conversation. They sound like a muscle car should. Search here and the web I know there are plenty of videos out there. Can't go wrong with the Roush Dual Camber setup.
Old 3/24/16, 12:04 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
I love my Roush Axle backs. Loud when you put your foot in it, they are quite enough when cruising the freeway to still have a conversation. They sound like a muscle car should. Search here and the web I know there are plenty of videos out there. Can't go wrong with the Roush Dual Camber setup.
Funny you mention the roush because that was actually my original exhaust setup before I went catless and I loved the sound and they didn't drone either which was great. I just heard horror stories go people going O/R mid pipes with them so thats why I switched to the outlaws
Old 3/24/16, 09:19 AM
Len
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Glassback
This may be a stupid question but can you even buy the GT500 Axle Backs anymore? I thought Ford Racing discontinued them?!
Available here.
http://tinyurl.com/z3et3oz
Old 3/24/16, 01:06 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Corsa - and I'm not sure I would go Extreme. I have the GT500 Quads and they are plenty loud when you want them to be - no drone and nice and more quiet when you want them to be They look great from behind and sound great.
Got mine from AM - great people to deal with. They sound even better in person than the you-tube link. I get nothing but compliments and stares.

Help me choose and axleback-20150913_093106_zps10g2tyej_c8b0ddb96fe8b2086141a5bac11ad7896901d97b.jpg

sound link

Last edited by pretender; 3/24/16 at 01:11 PM.
Old 3/24/16, 09:08 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by BLK STANG
Funny you mention the roush because that was actually my original exhaust setup before I went catless and I loved the sound and they didn't drone either which was great. I just heard horror stories go people going O/R mid pipes with them so thats why I switched to the outlaws
Yup I have heard the same. Roush seem to work best with cats... I have mine intact with the boss H-pipe. Good luck on your quest.
Old 3/24/16, 09:18 PM

Shane ! By any chance would you happen to know who's the manufacturer of the Roush axle backs ? I heard that it's Borla

-Rocky

Quick Reply: Help me choose and axleback