5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Headers finally on...

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/13, 04:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Lol...#wellthatescalatedquickly
Old 8/13/13, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
I went with the stock mufflers after doing my long tubes and catted x pipe. It actually sounded pretty good. Now that it is just me in the car most of the time I went with the pypes violators its louder but not annoyingly loud.

Does that starter bolt screw in from the back of the car or the front?
That bolt screws in from the front of the car.

And thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to have to think about this a little. Ill keep the Roush AB on for now. I just would hate to lose the square tips after I changed the rear valence specifically for them in the first place.
Old 8/14/13, 06:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Like Pat said you can put square tips on any mufflers
Old 8/14/13, 02:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm getting a DTC code today on startup this afternoon. Was totally normal this morning. Went to the car wash and parked the car at my house. Came back out and started and got a light. Tuner shows its P0152, Bank 2 Sensor 1 O2 high voltage. I looked around a little bit online and I've seen two possible causes. Either the o2 connections/extensions got disconnected or burned/melted which would be highly annoying since I tried very hard to zip tie these things in such a way that this wouldn't happen. Ill check the connections once the car cools down tonight.

The other thing I found was that an exhaust leak at the header and x-pipe can cause this. I don't think my header to x-pipe connection has a leak, but in my driveway it sure sounds like a hissing/airflow fluttering noise is coming from under the car right under the drivers seat. Ill double check the header x-pipe connection once it cools down but now that I look at the x-pipe connection back to the over axle pipes, it looks like the drivers side may not be on there all the way and it may be leaking there. Would a leak that far back cause this code to show up?
Old 8/14/13, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Please tell me you didn't use the supplied extensions with the headers. If so get them off ASAP.
Old 8/14/13, 03:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes I did use the BBK supplied extensions. Can I ask why they shouldn't be used? Also which ones should I get to replace them?
Old 8/14/13, 04:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I looked into it and some people suggest using the stock wiring by in clipping it from the transmission and wherever else it is snaked up under there, and attaching the stock connections to the o2 wires like it came from the factory. From what I can tell the extra slack should be enough to sufficiently reach.
Old 8/14/13, 04:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The stock ones will fit with a little work. The extenders are known to cause issues no matter which ones you use.
Old 8/14/13, 04:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Alrighty. I can't get the car up on a lift until Friday or Saturday because I'm busy at work tomorrow for sure and probably Friday so it'll have to do for another day or two with the extensions on it. It was a nightmare to get my hands in there to attempt to connect the supplied extensions. I can't imagine the nightmare this might be to try and get these things down to the stock wiring
Old 8/14/13, 04:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes as you've realized the supplied extensions are your issue. Do not push the car hard until you get them off or you could be buying a new motor.
Old 8/14/13, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Yes as you've realized the supplied extensions are your issue. Do not push the car hard until you get them off or you could be buying a new motor.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Ill be sure to figure a way to get the stock wiring back together either Friday or Saturday. And I will not be pushing the car hard before I get the wiring redone. I don't usually drive it hard or rev it high anyway but ill make a point to definitely not to for now.
Old 8/14/13, 04:40 PM
Bullitt Member

It's either wait for Friday or Saturday for the lift, or go get a jack and jack stands and do it tonight. Or attempt to hopefully get them. I just think it'll be easier on a lift but now I'm paranoid.
Old 8/14/13, 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Or a set of ramps would work I guess maybe. I don't know what I should do
Old 8/15/13, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Do you know if I should have to cut anything to get the stock wiring to be able to reach? I think all I should have to do is undo the little clip that holds that wiring harness to the back of the engine near the firewall above the bell housing and I hope the wires can reach from there down to the o2 sensors. If anything has to be cut or anything there's no possible way to get to it. Once I undo that clip and get those extensions off I think I can get the stuff from the bottom once I get that car up in the air.
Old 8/15/13, 05:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

No cutting necessary. Just unclip the harness in three spots on top of the tranny and you're good to go.
Old 8/15/13, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

No cutting necessary. Just unclip the harness in three spots on top of the tranny and you're good to go.
Gotcha. Thanks! I should be able to do it tomorrow afternoon after work. Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks again for all the info and advice.
Old 8/16/13, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Re-did the wiring harness and got those extensions off and also retorqued all of the bolts. Light seems to have gone away for now. Hopefully that was it.
Old 9/6/14, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by flynavy
Re-did the wiring harness and got those extensions off and also retorqued all of the bolts. Light seems to have gone away for now. Hopefully that was it.
Did your light stay away. What bolts did you all retorque?
Old 9/7/14, 01:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Through some gt500 mufflers on there and be done!!!
Old 9/8/14, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mnblk5.0
Did your light stay away. What bolts did you all retorque?

Yes light stayed away. Have had zero issues since.

And I run Roush AB's. GT500's I'm sure are nice but I get nothing but compliments on this setup. Frankly, it's very loud. But I wanted it that way. And I love it.