Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Cold Air Intake Debate

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/12, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TORMENTOR
Well I ordered the Steeda Instake and SCT Tuner from AM. I have not installed it on my car yet and Ive had it for 2 weeks now. This heat is just making me want to stay indoors all day. Hell I cant even enjoy the pool since it reads 92 degrees.
Maybe if the weather breaks on Sunday I will get my chance to install it and feel the differance for myself.
It's already been proven that a CAI on a 4.6 is beneficial. We are discussing for the 5.0. Enjoy the new power!
Old 7/6/12, 05:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by G Wrecks
It's already been proven that a CAI on a 4.6 is beneficial. We are discussing for the 5.0. Enjoy the new power!

Its going on my 2012 5.0
Old 7/6/12, 06:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Install that baby already and let us know how you like it!!

Best Regards,
TJ
Old 7/6/12, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Its going on my 2012 5.0
Oh... Ok. Change your avatar! Let us know the gains with and without cai so the debate can end!
Old 7/6/12, 11:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by going for broke
....Or does that prove that you can launch and or shift better then they can? Let's see some slips to back that up. 3-5 mph is quite a bit of difference from basically a different airbox setup. (since you do have a tune)
Here's a couple of my timeslips from May 11th, 2012. I was car #2061. I think my drag racing skills are above average, but I'm still learning how to launch this car (my last Mustang was an automatic and very easy to run down the track)...

Name:  P5170006.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  1.07 MB

Last edited by Five Oh Brian; 7/6/12 at 11:06 PM.
Old 7/25/12, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

On the Ford website it says CAI is standard on 2013 models and has a picture of the Cold Air Induction box. However on my V6 I don't see that, does it still have CAI standard too?

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/
Attached Thumbnails Cold Air Intake Debate-mst13_highlight_lg_coldairsys.jpg  
Old 7/25/12, 08:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

The 2011+ GT's have "Cold Air Induction" but it's still a drop in filter opposed to a cone style filter. It's much less restrictive than the intake from previous mustangs, but still not as efficient as aftermarket CAI's.
Old 7/25/12, 08:45 AM
Bullitt Member

I found this on another forums:
I find all the hype surrounding K&N air filters very misleading at best, fraudulent at worst, for the most part. An oiled gauze filter is nothing new. When I had a BSA motorcycle dealership back in the late 60’s, the (British) bikes came with oiled gauze filters. Their construction was virtually identical to today’s K&N filters. At that time, most owners changed to “Filtron” filters, a green oiled foam type filter. It was universally recognized the oiled gauze filters were woefully inefficient.
Fast foreword to the current filter market. The oiled gauze filters are back! Many tests have proven the K&N filters to be a VERY POOR choice. The Honda Ridgeline club (most recently) performed tests comparing a Delco pleated paper filter to a K&N. The paper filter allowed .4 grams of silicate material (to wit: dirt) to pass through. The K&N allowed a WHOPPING 7.0 grams. In addition, the paper filter was capable of retaining 573.9 grams of silicate (dirt), the K&N was limited to retaining 122.6 grams.
This post is in response to the “Tips to Increase Engine Life” subject. The common consensus it that a K&N filter can increase engine wear 10% over that of a quality pleated paper filter. I expect to be inundated by K&N filter aficionados arguing in support of their screed-door / cotton filters. Facts are facts. K&N defends the fact a person may view openings right through a K&N filter media with their “micronic invisible oily hairs” nonsense. Bottom line, maximum engine life is achieved with a good pleated paper air filter.
The claim by K&N that their filters become more efficient as they collect debris is quite telling. Of course, as soon as the 10 to 20 micron holes get plugged, there are increasingly smaller holes remaining. As a K&N filter nears complete blockage, it approached the efficiency of the OEM paper filters. By that time the engine is struggling for air.
I can’t argue with the profound popularity and seeming legitimacy of K&N filters. I also remember the “mothballs in the gas tank”, “magnets on the gas line”, and now the HHO nonsense. Popularity and widespread use of a product may be generated by massive and continuous advertising, in spite of its legitimate merits.
Old 7/25/12, 10:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

^ We aren't talking about engine life... we are talking about horsepower. Of course the K&N is going to let more debris through, but that's also the reason why it lets more air through. Either way, we aren't even talking about K&N Filters either...

Last edited by G Wrecks; 7/25/12 at 10:13 AM.
Old 7/25/12, 04:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

From our testing, we have found that the factory air intake assembly for the 2011-13 GT flows 748.7 cfm

Our C&L " No tuning Required" intake assembly flows 1096 cfm 45% more and the " Tune required" flows 1111 cfm 47% more.

Without tuning in a 11-13 GT we gain 11-13hp over stock. With tuning it's a solid 28-30hp over stock.

Our " No-tune kit" is very simple to upgrade as you just remove the insert from the MAF and you have the tune required.

On a Boss Mustang our kit really shines with the higher flow capacity of both the engine and the intake manifold. In a " No tune required" configuration it makes a solid 15-18hp above the 5000 rpm range.

We don't have the " snowflake" on our kit as we believe in additional power rather then marketing hype.

Just let me know if you have any questions about this!

Thanks, Doug

Last edited by Doug@C&L; 7/25/12 at 04:53 PM.
Old 7/25/12, 08:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just one question Doug: were all of those tests done with 93 octane, even the stock run?
Old 7/25/12, 09:35 PM
Bullitt Member

How much did the tune on it's own add without the intake?
Old 7/26/12, 11:56 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Install that baby already and let us know how you like it!!

Best Regards,
TJ
Sorry it took so long to get back to this post but I installed it 2 weeks ago and installed the 87 tune to make sure I didnt throw any codes and note any drivability issues.
I can say I love the sound of the intake when I get on it. I have not had any issues with it at all. It has a firm shift and it will lay rubber down if you lay into the gas from a start.
On the way home from work lastnight I filled it up with 93 octane and will install the 93 tune, I cant wait to see what that is like.
Greeat product Steeda, and great tune from Bama!!
Old 7/26/12, 11:59 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry it took so long to get back to this post but I installed it 2 weeks ago and installed the 87 tune to make sure I didnt throw any codes and note any drivability issues.
I can say I love the sound of the intake when I get on it. I have not had any issues with it at all. It has a firm shift and it will lay rubber down if you lay into the gas from a start.
On the way home from work lastnight I filled it up with 93 octane and will install the 93 tune, I cant wait to see what that is like.
Greeat product Steeda, and great tune from Bama!!
Awesome! Glad to hear that you are happy with your CAI! If you wouldn't mind posting a review on our CAI that would be great! http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-5...ir-intake.html
Old 7/26/12, 12:53 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G Wrecks
^ We aren't talking about engine life... we are talking about horsepower. Of course the K&N is going to let more debris through, but that's also the reason why it lets more air through. Either way, we aren't even talking about K&N Filters either...
Old 7/26/12, 03:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Thomas S
Just one question Doug: were all of those tests done with 93 octane, even the stock run?

The dyno graph that is posted was on an a stock Boss, which I am sure was running premium fuel, it was done at Lamotta Performance to give a independant test for our kit.

Below is a test on an ALL stock 2011 GT using 87 octane fuel and NO TUNING, at the time of this test tuning wasn't available for these car
s.

How much did the tune on it's own add without the intake?
Our Custom Tuning alone on the 2011-2013 GT Mustang will net gains of 18-20hp at the maxiumum RPM's but across the curve at different RPM points will gain 30-35hp over stock. Add that to the 14-15hp from an air intake and you'll see gains of 28-30hp at peak and in the mid range 38-45hp in certain points across the graph.

Thanks, Doug

Last edited by Doug@C&L; 7/26/12 at 03:03 PM.
Old 2/19/13, 07:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Thamac15
I'm pretty New here and this is the first thread I've laughed till my stomach hurt!
Same here!

For me, I think I'll just go with a tune... maybe a new filter too. I like it looking mostly stock under the hood.