5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Cold Air Intake Debate

Search this Thread

Old 6/20/12, 12:31 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Air Intake Debate

I am in the market for a cold air intake and tuner for my car and I am just curious if anyone has done a test on what gains can be seen with just the tuner alone.
I have heard these cars do not benefit from the cold air intake.
I am steering towards the Steeda Intake if I did buy the combo just for the looks. I am not looking to start a war, I am just looking for facts with numbers backing the claims up.
I would rather spend $379 for an SCT Tuner alone instead of $729 for a combo kit that doesnt get anything out of the CAI! I could use the money I saved on the Boss exhaust I want instead.
Anybody want to chime in on this one?
Old 6/20/12, 01:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Check the American Muscle website. I bought the Airaid CAI for my '11 V6 and the difference on the dyno (no tune) was 13 hp. Not sure I believe that but, I can tell you the difference is more than noticable, especially the sound and throttle response. Interesting to note Roush has rebadged the Airaid CAI as it's own for about $100 more. I think their videos also show with and without tunes. I am avoiding tunes since I have the maintenance and extended warranty.
Old 6/20/12, 02:22 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TORMENTOR
I am in the market for a cold air intake and tuner for my car and I am just curious if anyone has done a test on what gains can be seen with just the tuner alone.
I am steering towards the Steeda Intake if I did buy the combo just for the looks. I am not looking to start a war, I am just looking for facts with numbers backing the claims up.
I would rather spend $379 for an SCT Tuner alone instead of $729 for a combo kit that doesnt get anything out of the CAI! I could use the money I saved on the Boss exhaust I want instead.
I believe we have done so, gains were pretty much split between the two.

Let me know if I can help you with that. We do have a forum discount afterall.
Old 6/20/12, 02:23 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TORMENTOR
Tormentor,

Great choice! The 12 GT really wakes up with CAI & Tune. We have had great results from all of our intakes, however we made peak power with either the Steeda, Airaid, or JLT installed. With that set up most people are gaining around 30+ RWHP! The Steeda CAI is a really nice product and I think you'll be happy with the fit/finish and performance, especially with some Bama tunes!

2011-2013 Mustang GT Cold Air Intake and Tuner Packages at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

This is just a recommendation! I think that no matter what kit you go with, you will be very satisfied.

So hell yes Cold Air Intakes do a lot for a 12 GT !

I hope this helps! Hit me up if you have any questions.

- Dan
Old 6/20/12, 02:41 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
..... We do have a forum discount afterall.

I sent tj a pm a few days ago asking what the discount is an how to receive it.....can you pm me the info? Thanks I have your CAI waiting at home.....came today, just need a tuner now!
Old 6/20/12, 02:54 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Tapakegovagnaps
I sent tj a pm a few days ago asking what the discount is an how to receive it.....can you pm me the info? Thanks I have your CAI waiting at home.....came today, just need a tuner now!
Yes, I will send you a PM.
Old 6/20/12, 02:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Awh sweet hey-soos, isn't there more than a gajillion threads on this already? There isn't a true "cold-air" intake manufactured on major sites like AM but are actually "ram-air", you do realize this I hope? IMO, find actual Dyno and mpg testing that's been done by an INDEPENDENT outfit to backup the proclamation of a website or company that it's an effective "power adder". Until then, study the reason why the Roush S/C hooks to a factory "air box" and not a ram or cold air intake. Could there be a reason behind that? :strange:
Old 6/20/12, 03:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
From what I have gathered, the majority of the gains come from the tune...and hell yes, boy would I love to see some independent testing to prove or disprove that.

The cost of a CAI is quite high for a tube and a filter...if it doesnt justify the price, it would be a real shame.

BTW, most people will want to feel like the $300 they dropped on these parts was worth it and in many cases we're good at convincing ourselves of what we want to believe. Anecdotal evidence from suckers (pun intended) aren't really helpful. We need dyno numbers with sincere effort to tune/maximize performance with and without the CAI.
Old 6/20/12, 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete07GT
Awh sweet hey-soos, isn't there more than a gajillion threads on this already? There isn't a true "cold-air" intake manufactured on major sites like AM but are actually "ram-air", you do realize this I hope? IMO, find actual Dyno and mpg testing that's been done by an INDEPENDENT outfit to backup the proclamation of a website or company that it's an effective "power adder". Until then, study the reason why the Roush S/C hooks to a factory "air box" and not a ram or cold air intake. Could there be a reason behind that? :strange:
Most of the aftermarket Cold Air Intakes on the market for the 5.0L re-use the factory cool air ducting, which is fine. There are 11+ 5.0L's putting down over 700HP without having to worry about plumbing cold air up from anywhere except the pre-existing location.

The diameter of the tube, the material that the tube is made out of and the size of the filter are more what I would worry about. The IAT difference between putting a filter in the fenderwell and in the engine compartment isn't going to make a bit of difference until you're putting down huge numbers that are temperamental depending on IAT/ECT/etc. The heat shield that comes with most aftermarket intakes will do a good job of blocking any radiant heat coming from elsewhere under the hood.

The Steeda system is great, and when you pair it up with a good custom tune (required), you'll notice good peak power/torque gains and monster gains throughout the curve.

The Roush supercharger kits are reusing the stock intake location so that they can be dealer installed and stay compliant with emissions, etc. The stock airbox isn't so restrictive that it NEEDS to be changed out, in that scenario. However, adding an air kit to a blown 5.0L will net more PSI, and more power.

Chris
Old 6/20/12, 06:46 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
There is no debate. This thread is a waste of time. Moving on...
Old 6/20/12, 07:07 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete07GT
---
Pete (great name BTW!) - The Roush S/C needs to fit the factory CAI, so they can claim perfect OEM fit. Can you explain the Ford OEM CAI on the GT500s from 2010 and forward? It's simple, it does allow more airflow at higher RPMs. I have a Roush CAI ($200) on my 2011 GT - no tune (I don't want to void my powertrain warranty and my extended service plan). I notice improved throttle response (and sound) above 3000-4000 RPM and higher. Great for the track. For daily use, just a visual nicety in the engine bay for car shows. Oh, don't forget the lifetime filter with good aftermarket CAIs, which pays for itself after 3-4 OEM filters.
Old 6/21/12, 01:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
With a hand held tuner, if you change it back to stock, can the dealer detect if there was ever a tune? ( I'm assuming yes)
Old 6/21/12, 01:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TommyV
With a hand held tuner, if you change it back to stock, can the dealer detect if there was ever a tune? ( I'm assuming yes)
You assume correctly.
Old 6/21/12, 04:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Not so much the gain on the dyno but at the track. Many have tested stock box vs CAI and found no or little gain at the track. The most see a .01 at the track. You have to see if it is worth it to you.
Old 6/21/12, 08:24 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
There is no debate. This thread is a waste of time. Moving on...
If its such a waste of time then why did you take a detour and make a comment. Apearantly you have questions about it also or you wouldnt have clicked on the header.
Old 6/21/12, 08:27 AM
GT Member

[QUOTE=MRGTX;6380647]From what I have gathered, the majority of the gains come from the tune...and hell yes, boy would I love to see some independent testing to prove or disprove that.

The cost of a CAI is quite high for a tube and a filter...if it doesnt justify the price, it would be a real shame.

BTW, most people will want to feel like the $300 they dropped on these parts was worth it and in many cases we're good at convincing ourselves of what we want to believe. Anecdotal evidence from suckers (pun intended) aren't really helpful. We need dyno numbers with sincere effort to tune/maximize performance with and without the CAI.[/QUOT

I agree 100%
Old 6/21/12, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

I think People have gotten off base a little. The op's question is this: For example, if he has a Steeda 93 tune with steeda cai, will the car put down the same numbers if he runs the same tune with the stock air box? Heck, I wonder too.
Old 6/21/12, 08:35 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Mafia
I think People have gotten off base a little. The op's question is this: For example, if he has a Steeda 93 tune with steeda cai, will the car put down the same numbers if he runs the same tune with the stock air box? Heck, I wonder too.
Exactly
Old 6/21/12, 08:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

You will gain on the dyno 10-15rwhp. The thing is they are running this with the hood open and high velocity fans. The true test is at the track were it has been proven no gain to minimal gain over stock box.
Old 6/21/12, 09:08 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
I believe we have done so, gains were pretty much split between the two.

Let me know if I can help you with that. We do have a forum discount afterall.
pm sent

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Debate