Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Cold Air Intake Debate

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/12, 09:44 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
Tormentor,

Great choice! The 12 GT really wakes up with CAI & Tune. We have had great results from all of our intakes, however we made peak power with either the Steeda, Airaid, or JLT installed. With that set up most people are gaining around 30+ RWHP! The Steeda CAI is a really nice product and I think you'll be happy with the fit/finish and performance, especially with some Bama tunes!

2011-2013 Mustang GT Cold Air Intake and Tuner Packages at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

This is just a recommendation! I think that no matter what kit you go with, you will be very satisfied.

So hell yes Cold Air Intakes do a lot for a 12 GT !

I hope this helps! Hit me up if you have any questions.

- Dan
Pm sent
Old 6/21/12, 11:08 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Steeda makes great items. I guess questions is do you want every little hp you can get or happy with the big chunk.
Old 6/21/12, 11:24 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by TORMENTOR
If its such a waste of time then why did you take a detour and make a comment. Apearantly you have questions about it also or you wouldnt have clicked on the header.
I chose to leave a pointless comment to waste your time, because you wasted my time with this thread. I have absolutely zero questions on this subject. I, along with many others, are tired of this exact same crap popping up all the time. Look at ANY other CAI thread, and you'll probably find your answer.

When I have free time, I click on TONS of threads without even reading the title. Why?...To see if I can help out a fellow member. And if I can't help them, then maybe I can learn something new. As someone that's been on this forum as long as you have...If you're gonna waste everyone's time on something that's been covered a million times instead of just doing a quick search, then I'm certainly not gonna help you out in any case.
Old 6/21/12, 11:27 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 6/21/12, 11:35 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
I chose to leave a pointless comment to waste your time, because you wasted my time with this thread. I have absolutely zero questions on this subject. I, along with many others, are tired of this exact same crap popping up all the time. Look at ANY other CAI thread, and you'll probably find your answer.

When I have free time, I click on TONS of threads without even reading the title. Why?...To see if I can help out a fellow member. And if I can't help them, then maybe I can learn something new. As someone that's been on this forum as long as you have...If you're gonna waste everyone's time on something that's been covered a million times instead of just doing a quick search, then I'm certainly not gonna help you out in any case.
Im sorry if you feel I wasted your time in reading it. I did a search and didnt find what I was looking for, thats why I asked the question do you really see any gains with just the cold air intake alone.
I like most people try to save a buck to use it elsewhere when possible.

Most, if not all of my available time is spent at work stamping out body parts for Ford Motor Company so I dont have time to troll the forums for hours on end.

Again sorry if I offended you.
Old 6/21/12, 12:48 PM
Bullitt Member

If you do a search, you come up with threads that have alot of nonsense in them as you have put in this one. So instead of browsing through all the nonsense, it's easier to start your own. That's just part of forums so dude get over yourself. If you can't keep from jumping off a bridge because of the numerous "will a tune void my warranty ", "why is the MT82 so sucky" threads, then I suggest stay off of the forum. Because this I promise, there are more to come. Lighten up, quit being a jerk and help those out who don't use the "search button " up to your expectations.
Old 6/21/12, 02:58 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
RedCandy and Tormentor - please see my earlier post. The 'track' time I'm talking about is road-course-racing...where higher revs pay off big dividends...not just the miniscule 1/4 mile time improvement you are a referring to. The good CAIs will allow freer breathing at higher RPMs, great for road course racing. The Shelby GT500 has this as OEM since 2010. The lifetime filter will pay for itself after a few years. Tune is additional, and more expensive. And yes (TommyV), Ford can see any aftermarket tune that has been reversed, and it will void your powertrain warranty. But CAI alone will not.
Old 6/21/12, 03:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have bama tunes, have the automatic on a 5.0, put the JLT intake on it, was not happy with the huge difference in low end power, went back to stock intake and Bama tune and am happy again. It could be the tune that was the issue, but i havent had time to talk to bama about it.
Old 6/21/12, 07:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

but you didn't help nor did you add anything of substance. i personally could care less if someone asks the same question. Something informative or new usually gets added into the mix so its all good.

if i feel the thread is a rehash or I have nothing to add.... I don't make stupid comments.

For the record, I did get some info from here thanks to a few vendors...

Last edited by MyStang2010GB; 6/21/12 at 07:20 PM.
Old 6/21/12, 08:59 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Originally Posted by Mustang Mafia
If you do a search, you come up with threads that have alot of nonsense in them as you have put in this one. So instead of browsing through all the nonsense, it's easier to start your own. That's just part of forums so dude get over yourself. If you can't keep from jumping off a bridge because of the numerous "will a tune void my warranty ", "why is the MT82 so sucky" threads, then I suggest stay off of the forum. Because this I promise, there are more to come. Lighten up, quit being a jerk and help those out who don't use the "search button " up to your expectations.
This thread itself is nonsense. If you read any of the other CAI threads, you'd know that. Hence why there is nothing to debate. If he had been a new member, then that's a different story and I likely would've helped him. But he's been here far long enough to know how to use the search or just look back on a few threads.
Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
but you didn't help nor did you add anything of substance. i personally could care less if someone asks the same question. Something informative or new usually gets added into the mix so its all good.

if i feel the thread is a rehash or I have nothing to add.... I don't make stupid comments.

For the record, I did get some info from here thanks to a few vendors...
Did you miss the part about me not caring to add anything of substance??? This thread, and you, wasted my time, so I'm more than happy to fill this thread with more crap and waste your time in return.
Old 6/21/12, 09:20 PM

Did you miss the part about me not caring to add anything of substance??? This thread, and you, wasted my time, so I'm more than happy to fill this thread with more crap and waste your time in return.
Wow, glad the internet police are on the job.....what would we all do without your brilliance? Thanks for saving us all from wasting our (and most importantly your) valuable time!

P.S.
Based on your comments I'm pretty sure I need to carefully explain to you this entire post is sarcasm....

Last edited by adrenalin; 6/22/12 at 05:05 AM.
Old 6/21/12, 09:23 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperHerb
Wow, glad the internet police are on the job.....what would we all do without your brilliance? Thanks for saving us all from wasting our (and most importantly your) valuable time!

P.S.
Based on your comments I'm pretty sure I need to carefully explain to you this entire post is sarcasm....
---
Old 6/21/12, 10:13 PM
GT Member

This thread itself is nonsense. If you read any of the other CAI threads, you'd know that. Hence why there is nothing to debate. If he had been a new member, then that's a different story and I likely would've helped him. But he's been here far long enough to know how to use the search or just look back on a few threads.

All this from a 23 year old who has nothing better to do then complain about everything on the forum, look at his stats. He doesn't post any real threads unless you call union bashing a good thing. Oh my God its such a pain to see the pictures on the forums home page or the stories about mustangs.
I haven't seen any posts by him about mustangs at all, just negativity towards everyone else's posts.
Grow up, get a real job working 60-70 hours a week and see how much free time you have to troll
Old 6/21/12, 10:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Wow

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
You will gain on the dyno 10-15rwhp. The thing is they are running this with the hood open and high velocity fans. The true test is at the track were it has been proven no gain to minimal gain over stock box.
The thing about that is with the hood closed you aren't getting any airflow into the engine. It is basically like running the car while sitting in traffic where 99% of the people will not be racing their cars, with the hood up and fans blowing you are getting a simulated airflow into the car as if it was moving at speed which most people will be doing and would give you a more accurate reading of what your power would be on the streets during an actual race.
Old 6/22/12, 01:01 AM
Just Plain Rude!

P.S.
WOW...Now thank God you were there with your 14 posts...now STFU.
Originally Posted by TORMENTOR
All this from a 23 year old who has nothing better to do then complain about everything on the forum, look at his stats. He doesn't post any real threads unless you call union bashing a good thing. Oh my God its such a pain to see the pictures on the forums home page or the stories about mustangs.
I haven't seen any posts by him about mustangs at all, just negativity towards everyone else's posts.
Grow up, get a real job working 60-70 hours a week and see how much free time you have to troll
Yeah, you're completely right...I've been trolling for *9 years*. Dumb***. I'm sorry I don't have a history of posts full of bull**** like this thread to waste people's time on. I thought we had gotten past this, which is why I didn't respond to you, but I guess I was wrong??? Sorry for having integrity...which you apparently lack. *FACT* If you didn't find that homepage trashy, they you're an equally ****ty person. *FACT* I posted the union thread to learn about them...it's not my fault they haven't shown me anything good about them.
Old 6/22/12, 05:07 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enough with the insults. Smarten up or a few of you might want to find a different sandbox to go play in.
Old 6/22/12, 06:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AMChrisRose

Most of the aftermarket Cold Air Intakes on the market for the 5.0L re-use the factory cool air ducting, which is fine. There are 11+ 5.0L's putting down over 700HP without having to worry about plumbing cold air up from anywhere except the pre-existing location.

The diameter of the tube, the material that the tube is made out of and the size of the filter are more what I would worry about. The IAT difference between putting a filter in the fenderwell and in the engine compartment isn't going to make a bit of difference until you're putting down huge numbers that are temperamental depending on IAT/ECT/etc. The heat shield that comes with most aftermarket intakes will do a good job of blocking any radiant heat coming from elsewhere under the hood.

The Steeda system is great, and when you pair it up with a good custom tune (required), you'll notice good peak power/torque gains and monster gains throughout the curve.

The Roush supercharger kits are reusing the stock intake location so that they can be dealer installed and stay compliant with emissions, etc. The stock airbox isn't so restrictive that it NEEDS to be changed out, in that scenario. However, adding an air kit to a blown 5.0L will net more PSI, and more power.

Chris
I have to admit; I bought my tuner and 110mm JLT RAI (I purposely don't say "cold-air" when it's in effect not one) from you guys. After running with it I won't return to stock breathing apparatus but I did notice my low-end power has lagged down a bit. I appreciate your input and can see the value of an engine needing a plumbed cold air intake from the wheel well in order to pull fresh cold air in and keep the motor running cool. Thanks for input Chris.

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
Pete (great name BTW!) - The Roush S/C needs to fit the factory CAI, so they can claim perfect OEM fit. Can you explain the Ford OEM CAI on the GT500s from 2010 and forward? It's simple, it does allow more airflow at higher RPMs. I have a Roush CAI ($200) on my 2011 GT - no tune (I don't want to void my powertrain warranty and my extended service plan). I notice improved throttle response (and sound) above 3000-4000 RPM and higher. Great for the track. For daily use, just a visual nicety in the engine bay for car shows. Oh, don't forget the lifetime filter with good aftermarket CAIs, which pays for itself after 3-4 OEM filters.
That's what I have my JLT 110mm for as well, nice looks and also for future forced air induction plans down the road. Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by ShaneGT
Have bama tunes, have the automatic on a 5.0, put the JLT intake on it, was not happy with the huge difference in low end power, went back to stock intake and Bama tune and am happy again. It could be the tune that was the issue, but i havent had time to talk to bama about it.
This feels the same way after my purchase of the JLT 110mm RAI and Sct Tuner with Bama Tunes.

P.S.
Someone got offended on the interwebs..?

Originally Posted by ford20
Wow

The thing about that is with the hood closed you aren't getting any airflow into the engine. It is basically like running the car while sitting in traffic where 99% of the people will not be racing their cars, with the hood up and fans blowing you are getting a simulated airflow into the car as if it was moving at speed which most people will be doing and would give you a more accurate reading of what your power would be on the streets during an actual race.
Thanks for putting this up on here!!! I've too have attempted to advise people that when running DYNO tunes, HP, and Torque measurements you are going to be in a somewhat controlled environment with cooler air cranked on an open engine bay. This doesn't exactly simulate the real world just like trying to run super stuff suspension on public roadways. You blatantly cannot run a setup on an uneven surface with potholes, crevices, dips, and uneven ground whereas a flat and semi-carved surface at a track. This is a main proponent to street racing accidents whereby people lose control due to super stiff suspension etc. trying to notice a 10-15hp gain in a 3700lb car is like feeling the difference of shedding 11/400 of your own body weight, will it really feel like a difference?
Old 6/22/12, 06:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE="AMChrisRose"]

Most of the aftermarket Cold Air Intakes on the market for the 5.0L re-use the factory cool air ducting, which is fine. There are 11+ 5.0L's putting down over 700HP without having to worry about plumbing
Old 6/22/12, 09:56 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ShaneGT
have the automatic on a 5.0, put the JLT intake on it, was not happy with the huge difference in low end power, went back to stock intake and Bama tune and am happy again.
This is the reason for my post. NOT a debate as the header states. Just a simple debate/question as to if there is any data on paper showing what kind of gains can be had with a tune and the stock air box compaired to a tune and an aftermarket cold air kit.

To make it even more simple for those who feel its a waste of time to read this post; do I really need the cold air intake or not?

Nothing more nothing less.

Oh, and I do find the stories interesting on the home page and the pictures are cool also....I guess I do have integrity.

Oh, 1 more thing. heres a union scenario for you. Some day you may have real career (not a union member) a wife, 3 kids, one on the way, a brand new house, 2 cars and you get popped for a drug test remember your 420 post, and they fire you, your world will come to an end.

Same scenario but you are a member of a local union. It could be a pipefitters union, steelworkers union, autoworkers union etc...YOUR union goes to bat for you arbitrating your case and yea maybe your out of work for a few months (yea it will be tough but YOUR union will help pay YOUR bills to help keep YOU afloat so you dont lose your house). That union that you said never showed you anything swept a health and safety grievance under the rug to get YOUR job back even tho they know your a drug head.

Wow I guess being in a union does have some perks. Just think you can still smoke all the weed you want and still keep your job, your house your fancy mustang etc...
Oh wait, this only goes on for so long. eventually the union will give up the fight for you because you cant take care of yourself (get clean). Then your world will come crashing down.
Old 6/22/12, 11:44 AM
GT Member

My steeda cai did not improve my track times and thats all I need to know. If someone wants it its 175 plus shipping. Its for an auto mand has less than a 1000 miles on it. If you want it for the sound and looks thats ok but I wont try to tell you that youll see a performance gain.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Debate