Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Boss intake and gears

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/12, 02:47 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JEdwards001
This is one example of the boss intake. I hope you can read it. Best time of an 11.8

August 2011 issue of 5.0 mustang and super fords. Coyote shoot out.

Boss intake
Jlt
Aluminum drive shaft
Catless LT
Pypes exhaust
Rst clutch
Shaun from AED is going 11 flat at 123 on a stocker, with a stock airbox and 3.55s. Very lightly modded.

Mike
Old 1/20/12, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by blackgt87
Hater? I compared results before and after and I have facts. You have done neither, that doesn't make me a hater, it makes you a fanboi.

You can nutswing off your friends pass all you want, it doesn't mean the boss intake will make a given persons car faster. I guess some people have to learn the hard way. I did.

And quit acting like I'm following you around, I reply to most of the "I'm thinking about a boss intake" threads. Obviously you do too. I'm not talking trash, just facts. Something you and your awful typing/grammar must not be able to grasp.
You are the definition of a hater! First of all are you trying to say your driving skills are facts!lol whatever!lmao for u to say that is crap the biggest variable is driver skill! I don't have to have tracked my car to see results first hand! If his car can make a 11.2 pass than mine is CAPABLE of the same! we are setup the same! A lil advice don't talk trash about someone u know nothing about! And what the f*** is a fanboi! Are u trying to say fanboy! I got your fanboi hanging buddy! And finally I'm typing from a iPhone and don't care to correct my mistakes in grammar who gives a sh** besides you! Nobody! And if your not a FAN of muscle cars or mustangs what the hell are u doing here mr. Grammar teacher! And my bad for calling u a hater u have graduated to f****** idiot! I'm done with u Oh! And your gay for trying to use the word (fanboi)lol what a idiot!
Old 1/20/12, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bmeline916

You are the definition of a hater! First of all are you trying to say your driving skills are facts!lol whatever!lmao for u to say that is crap the biggest variable is driver skill! I don't have to have tracked my car to see results first hand! If his car can make a 11.2 pass than mine is CAPABLE of the same! we are setup the same! A lil advice don't talk trash about someone u know nothing about! And what the f*** is a fanboi! Are u trying to say fanboy! I got your fanboi hanging buddy! And finally I'm typing from a iPhone and don't care to correct my mistakes in grammar who gives a sh** besides you! Nobody! And if your not a FAN of muscle cars or mustangs what the hell are u doing here mr. Grammar teacher! And my bad for calling u a hater u have graduated to f****** idiot! I'm done with u Oh! And your gay for trying to use the word (fanboi)lol what a idiot!
Apologies everyone else
Old 1/20/12, 03:36 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is one example of the boss intake. I hope you can read it. Best time of an 11.8

Boss intake
Jlt
Aluminum drive shaft
Catless LT
Pypes exhaust
Rst clutch
Typo he ran a 11.18
Old 1/20/12, 03:44 PM
GT Member

I'm with blackgt87. I wanted one so bad cuz of how good it looks but I just can't say it's worth it except for visually. I've pored over at least half a dozen dyno charts and for what you lose down low it's just not worth what you gain. Unless you're just trying to pad you're dyno sheet. And anyone that is taking their engine to the rpm's you need to actually make it worth it aren't going to have an engine for long. And I'm speaking from experience having already trashed my motor. Wasn't due to high rpm but I'm sure it's still bound to happen. And before anyone berates me for disagreeing with them I'm just sharing my opinion.
Old 1/20/12, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by black5.0
I'm with blackgt87. I wanted one so bad cuz of how good it looks but I just can't say it's worth it except for visually. I've pored over at least half a dozen dyno charts and for what you lose down low it's just not worth what you gain. Unless you're just trying to pad you're dyno sheet. And anyone that is taking their engine to the rpm's you need to actually make it worth it aren't going to have an engine for long. And I'm speaking from experience having already trashed my motor. Wasn't due to high rpm but I'm sure it's still bound to happen. And before anyone berates me for disagreeing with them I'm just sharing my opinion.
Just don't like how the guy came at me now because of the way he replied to me I don't like him personally don't care if he cares as long as he doesn't come at me like that I will be cool! I'm planning on doing a dyno soon and will also do one with stock intake mani to see the difference in gains through out the rpm range. Will post when I do
Old 1/20/12, 04:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice some times the best lesson learned is from a mistake. Especially if there's nobody around with the mods to take you for a test ride. Lol!! I've seen the intake glorified and dumped on. 5.0 magazine said its a good building block for other mods or if your into drag racing or high rpm racing, but for the street it's more for eye candy. Then in another months magazine a guy took it off at the strip and ran a better time, and other guys ran with the boss and posted good times.

I think it's all in how you drive the car. You have to figure out just what the car needs form you to make it truly fast.
That was the point of my first post in this thread, as well as others I have made. This intake can make your car faster if it is part of a properly matched combo, not just driving. This intake needs other parts with it to make it work well (really all performance parts do for maximum benefit) and if you only have one or two of them (like I did) it hurts more than it helps. The list of parts needed to make this intake help is further than most people would go with a couple bolt ons on a street car.

Boss intake
Jlt
Aluminum drive shaft
Catless LT
Pypes exhaust
Rst clutch
Look at my sig I ran faster than that with less mods and I'm not some pro driver for a magazine at a track rental day at a super fast track.

Originally Posted by mbreinin
Shaun from AED is going 11 flat at 123 on a stocker, with a stock airbox and 3.55s. Very lightly modded.

Mike
This is true, he did port the stock intake manifold though. Hell he even has a stock airbox last I saw.

I never said anything bad about you. I was talking about the intake manifold, and you called me a hater. So guess who tried (and is still trying) to turn this personal...you. Also I'm not talking about driving skills being the facts, I'm talking about MY car, not someone elses. And racing the same car (a friend of mine) 2 days apart on the same road, and running at the track with the only change being the intake (4 passes each time for an average) are facts. Period.

Obviously you don't browse the internet much if you have never seen fanboi spelled that way...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboi

I never said your car wasn't capable because it had the same mods, I said that YOU haven't done it and you're nutswinging off your friends pass. Which you are.

I am trying to inform people of my past experiences with the boss intake manifold, and you have managed to call me "gay" and an "idiot" "an then accuse me of "coming at you". Hmm...

Originally Posted by black5.0
THIS

Just don't like how the guy came at me now because of the way he replied to me I don't like him personally don't care if he cares as long as he doesn't come at me like that I will be cool! I'm planning on doing a dyno soon and will also do one with stock intake mani to see the difference in gains through out the rpm range. Will post when I do
Nobody "came at you", I just stated the facts and you happen to not like them.

I really encourage JEdwards001 and anyone else to try out the boss intake, but like I have said all along use a meaningful metric with which to compare the two (to me those are a race, or a 1/4 mile pass) and ONLY change the intake. Please don't do a CAI, tune, and exhaust at the same time as the boss intake or you'll never notice because those other mods will still make the car faster. I honestly think anyone who drives their car back to back with only switching manifolds would be able to make their mind up awfully quick.

Last edited by blackgt87; 1/20/12 at 04:44 PM.
Old 1/20/12, 05:34 PM
Bullitt Member

That was the point of my first post in this thread, as well as others I have made. This intake can make your car faster if it is part of a properly matched combo, not just driving. This intake needs other parts with it to make it work well (really all performance parts do for maximum benefit) and if you only have one or two of them (like I did) it hurts more than it helps. The list of parts needed to make this intake help is further than most people would go with a couple bolt ons on a street car.

Look at my sig I ran faster than that with less mods and I'm not some pro driver for a magazine at a track rental day at a super fast track.

This is true, he did port the stock intake manifold though. Hell he even has a stock airbox last I saw.

I never said anything bad about you. I was talking about the intake manifold, and you called me a hater. So guess who tried (and is still trying) to turn this personal...you. Also I'm not talking about driving skills being the facts, I'm talking about MY car, not someone elses. And racing the same car (a friend of mine) 2 days apart on the same road, and running at the track with the only change being the intake (4 passes each time for an average) are facts. Period.

Obviously you don't browse the internet much if you have never seen fanboi spelled that way...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboi

I never said your car wasn't capable because it had the same mods, I said that YOU haven't done it and you're nutswinging off your friends pass. Which you are.

I am trying to inform people of my past experiences with the boss intake manifold, and you have managed to call me "gay" and an "idiot" "an then accuse me of "coming at you". Hmm...

THIS

Nobody "came at you", I just stated the facts and you happen to not like them.

I really encourage JEdwards001 and anyone else to try out the boss intake, but like I have said all along use a meaningful metric with which to compare the two (to me those are a race, or a 1/4 mile pass) and ONLY change the intake. Please don't do a CAI, tune, and exhaust at the same time as the boss intake or you'll never notice because those other mods will still make the car faster. I honestly think anyone who drives their car back to back with only switching manifolds would be able to make their mind up awfully quick.
I have listed in passed post and earlier in this one the mods that help make the intake work well. In other threads I have said the boss mani is not for the putt and play cars with few mods! But if your going to go full Bolton with CDT its worth it. Call it nut swinging or what ever u want I don't give a sh**. When I'm done with my mods and make it to the track don't worry you will be the first to know.
Old 1/20/12, 05:41 PM
GT Member

Yeah my thing is I've already done all the other bolt-on's and it seemed like the gears and boss intake where gonna be it until I procharge it in the future. Not sure what else I could do bolt-on wise besides suspension.
Old 1/20/12, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

This thread is funny. The Boss Intake is pointless unless you're revving above 7,000RPM for extended periods of time which almost no one is unless they're tracking. Using the stock manifold and going full bolt-on will be enough power for most. Also, people who are spinning tires without being boosted need some better tires and better suspension mods. Not saying you don't know how to drive but come on guys.....
Old 1/20/12, 06:26 PM
GT Member

Well, it is plastic so there is not that much you can do to it. I read his post and he said he just cleaned up some transitions. It was worth something like 4 RWHP. Stock airbox, yep. There goes the value of the CAI for much of anything but looks. I do admit they look pretty cool though.

Mike
Old 1/20/12, 07:28 PM
GT Member

So what should I do next with my bolt-on route?

JLT-CAI
BAMA- tunes
O/R-H
Flowmaster custom exhaust
Nitto tires
3.31 gears
Old 1/20/12, 07:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

JLT-CAI
BAMA- tunes
O/R-H
Nitto tires
3.31 gears
I'd go with some suspension mods. Adjustable LCA's, UCA and Panhard Bar.
Old 1/20/12, 07:37 PM
Bullitt Member

JLT-CAI
BAMA- tunes
O/R-H
Nitto tires
3.31 gears
If u don't go boss manifold u could do long tube headers and gears 3.73's or 4.10's
Old 1/20/12, 08:13 PM
GT Member

I think I'm gonna do boss intake, gears, LCA, lowering springs and panhard bar. Then I will go from there I guess.
Old 1/20/12, 09:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

JLT-CAI
BAMA- tunes
O/R-H
Nitto tires
3.31 gears
If you really want the boss intake to work you have to get into high rpms very quickly, and stay there. I would go with as steep of a gear as you can tolerate, something like 4.10's. I would def get long tube headers, and I would look into a throttle body. I was told the throttle body can help bring back a ton of what the boss loses down low. I also think a dyno tune would help a LOT, and I would think about some weight reduction too. An aluminum driveshaft would also help.

If all that stuff sounds like it's further than you want to go, then the boss intake may not be a good addition to your combo.
Old 1/20/12, 09:57 PM
GT Member

If you really want the boss intake to work you have to get into high rpms very quickly, and stay there. I would go with as steep of a gear as you can tolerate, something like 4.10's. I would def get long tube headers, and I would look into a throttle body. I was told the throttle body can help bring back a ton of what the boss loses down low. I also think a dyno tune would help a LOT, and I would think about some weight reduction too. An aluminum driveshaft would also help.

If all that stuff sounds like it's further than you want to go, then the boss intake may not be a good addition to your combo.
I'm gonna work my way up through all the bolt-on's an worse case scenario I put my boss intake up for sale if I don't like it.
Old 1/20/12, 10:28 PM

JLT-CAI
BAMA- tunes
O/R-H
Nitto tires
3.31 gears
Here is my bolt on list.

Kooks 1 3/4 headers and offroad xpipe
Bama 91 tune
Boss 302 intake
C&L CAI
L&M 82MM throttle body
Roush UCA
Steeda LCA
Eibach front and rear sway bar kit
4.10 gears and 315/35/20 Toyo Proxes R888

and just ordering now DSS carbon fiber driveshaft and 3000-3200 Circle D stall
Old 1/20/12, 10:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by calgarybandit
315/35/20 Toyo Proxes R888
What front wheel/tire combo do you have up front? Those tires only come in two sizes according to the Toyo website.
Old 1/20/12, 11:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by calgarybandit

Here is my bolt on list.

Kooks 1 3/4 headers and offroad xpipe
Bama 91 tune
Boss 302 intake
C&L CAI
L&M 82MM throttle body
Roush UCA
Steeda LCA
Eibach front and rear sway bar kit
4.10 gears and 315/35/20 Toyo Proxes R888

and just ordering now DSS carbon fiber driveshaft and 3000-3200 Circle D stall
What kinda numbers are u making and have you made it to the track yet?

Quick Reply: Boss intake and gears