Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Boss intake and gears

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/12, 07:20 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bmeline916

Where u from ?? I'm in Houma/raceland area
I'm in Alexandria. I called stang hi about my Bama tunes earlier because I didn't like the way they were running but Bama finally sent me the revised tunes and the car runs better. Stang hi told me that Bama was a good safe tune but they could pull a little more power out if I wanted them to dyno it. So I'm trying to wait and get my intake first.
Old 1/18/12, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JEdwards001

I'm in Alexandria. I called stang hi about my Bama tunes earlier because I didn't like the way they were running but Bama finally sent me the revised tunes and the car runs better. Stang hi told me that Bama was a good safe tune but they could pull a little more power out if I wanted them to dyno it. So I'm trying to wait and get my intake first.
Get all mods u want and update tunes with bama then when u are finished with mods go to Cody and get dyno tuned. What did he quote u?
Old 1/18/12, 07:31 PM
GT Member

Get all mods u want and update tunes with bama then when u are finished with mods go to Cody and get dyno tuned. What did he quote u?
Once I get the gears and intake I'm gonna be done for a while engine wise. Then it's suspension work. He said 155 since I already had a tuner. Not sure what all that covers. He just said he could write me 3 tunes for that.
Old 1/18/12, 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Once I get the gears and intake I'm gonna be done for a while engine wise. Then it's suspension work. He said 155 since I already had a tuner. Not sure what all that covers. He just said he could write me 3 tunes for that.
I don't think he quoted u a full custom dyno tune u may want to call him again they quoted me 350$ for full CDT and that's a all day affair.
Old 1/18/12, 07:43 PM
GT Member

I don't think he quoted u a full custom dyno tune u may want to call him again they quoted me 350$ for full CDT and that's a all day affair.
Yeah he did say it would only take a couple hours so it could of been for his version of a canned tune. I deffenantly want a dyno tune!! I want to know my numbers along with proper air/fuel ratios.
Old 1/18/12, 08:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah he did say it would only take a couple hours so it could of been for his version of a canned tune. I deffenantly want a dyno tune!! I want to know my numbers along with proper air/fuel ratios.
I agree 100% call them back and ask for full custom dyno tune quote should be 350$. Definitely want to see A/F ratio to make sure not running lean. When u do get CDT keep me updated I'm sure u will get yours done before me. My next mod is LCA's thinking of going J&M only 99$.
Old 1/18/12, 08:43 PM
GT Member

I agree 100% call them back and ask for full custom dyno tune quote should be 350$. Definitely want to see A/F ratio to make sure not running lean. When u do get CDT keep me updated I'm sure u will get yours done before me. My next mod is LCA's thinking of going J&M only 99$.
I'll check back when I get ready to order my intake and I'll let ya know. Keep me informed on those LCA I was looking at the same ones.
Old 1/18/12, 09:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll check back when I get ready to order my intake and I'll let ya know. Keep me informed on those LCA I was looking at the same ones.
Will do buddy
Old 1/19/12, 09:13 AM

UPS tracking shows my intake should be here today! Props to LRS for fast service! I guess it helps that LRS is just a few miles south of where I live. I've been reading up on the intake, seems half are for and half are against it. I think it will benefit me in the long run as I would like to add a Procharger in the future.
Old 1/19/12, 09:46 AM
GT Member

So Cody at Stang Hi is a good tuner? I have been kicking around the idea of a full dyno tune. I know JMS in Mississippi is very good...but an old friend of mine knows the guys at Stang Hi. I don't have an SCT tuner though, so I would have to get that as well.

Mike
Old 1/19/12, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mbreinin
So Cody at Stang Hi is a good tuner? I have been kicking around the idea of a full dyno tune. I know JMS in Mississippi is very good...but an old friend of mine knows the guys at Stang Hi. I don't have an SCT tuner though, so I would have to get that as well.

Mike
Yes u will need a SCT tuner. And yes from what I hear Cody knows his sh**.
Old 1/19/12, 11:42 AM
GT Member

Yes u will need a SCT tuner. And yes from what I hear Cody knows his sh**.
Like I said, I have a friend that knows him and recommends him. On the website it says $379 for the tuner and 3 tunes, and $250 for a CDT. It says if you buy the SCT from them, they will take $100 off of the price of the dyno tune. However, my friend texted Cody and he quoted him $425 for the tuner and "3 custom tunes," so I don't know what the price structure actually is. $500 for a dyno tune and SCT sounds pretty reasonable to me. I would prefer a CDT over a canned tune since if I am going canned, I am going BAMA for a warranty.

Mike
Old 1/19/12, 04:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mbreinin

Like I said, I have a friend that knows him and recommends him. On the website it says $379 for the tuner and 3 tunes, and $250 for a CDT. It says if you buy the SCT from them, they will take $100 off of the price of the dyno tune. However, my friend texted Cody and he quoted him $425 for the tuner and "3 custom tunes," so I don't know what the price structure actually is. $500 for a dyno tune and SCT sounds pretty reasonable to me. I would prefer a CDT over a canned tune since if I am going canned, I am going BAMA for a warranty.

Mike
Last I called about Mid November and I already have a SCT tuner he quoted me 350$ for full CDT. If u buy from him he will discount price. One of my buddy's did cai, boss mani, and CDT with him for around 1k. That's not bad at all w/install. In any case I will go there later this year for CDT.:headbang:
Old 1/20/12, 08:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

I had a Boss intake on my car, it DEFINITELY made it slower, I saw actual proof not "seat of the pants" or a dyno number that trades a ton of power under the curve for a higher peak number. My other mods were JLT CAI, and off road x pipe, factory 3.73's. I tried email tunes from 3 different companies. I put the stock intake manifold back on my car and it picked up probably 3 mph in the 1/4.

I would recommend a dyno tune at the minimum, and probably longtubes/full exhaust and 4.10's before that intake will even start to help. And thats assuming you're ok revving your engine to ~7600 rpm, which is the only way to make up for all the power the boss intake on a coyote throws away down low.

Also Bmeline916 you should clarify that's your friends timeslip not yours. Just because someone ran good with a boss intake doesn't mean you will, or other people on the internet will. I think thats a little misleading the way you throw that time slip around and try to convince people the boss intake is a great addition, when you yourself have no proof that it helped your car run a faster 1/4 mile time.

Some people like it, most of them have no actual proof that it helped their car do something better. Here is the best advice anyone can give you about the boss intake (or any part thats supposed to improve your car)...measure your cars performance in whatever way matters to you, run a few 1/4 mile passes if thats what your're trying to improve. Race your friend from a dig or a roll if thats who you're trying to beat. THEN add the boss intake and do it again, and see if its better. Mine wasn't. If you're just looknig for a higher dyno number and don't care about your car being slower in a race, then dyno it before and after. If you like the way it looks and don't care that your car is a little slower, then just put it on.

The point I'm trying to make is that it didn't work for me, even Bama admitted their car picked up .03 in the 1/4. Thats right, three HUNDREDTHS...hardly an improvement for how gutless it makes the car on the street. Oh and if you have a problem with traction get better tires and suspension, don't reduce your cars torque or power to get it to hook, thats retarded.
Old 1/20/12, 01:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by blackgt87
I had a Boss intake on my car, it DEFINITELY made it slower, I saw actual proof not "seat of the pants" or a dyno number that trades a ton of power under the curve for a higher peak number. My other mods were JLT CAI, and off road x pipe, factory 3.73's. I tried email tunes from 3 different companies. I put the stock intake manifold back on my car and it picked up probably 3 mph in the 1/4.

I would recommend a dyno tune at the minimum, and probably longtubes/full exhaust and 4.10's before that intake will even start to help. And thats assuming you're ok revving your engine to ~7600 rpm, which is the only way to make up for all the power the boss intake on a coyote throws away down low.

Also Bmeline916 you should clarify that's your friends timeslip not yours. Just because someone ran good with a boss intake doesn't mean you will, or other people on the internet will. I think thats a little misleading the way you throw that time slip around and try to convince people the boss intake is a great addition, when you yourself have no proof that it helped your car run a faster 1/4 mile time.

Some people like it, most of them have no actual proof that it helped their car do something better. Here is the best advice anyone can give you about the boss intake (or any part thats supposed to improve your car)...measure your cars performance in whatever way matters to you, run a few 1/4 mile passes if thats what your're trying to improve. Race your friend from a dig or a roll if thats who you're trying to beat. THEN add the boss intake and do it again, and see if its better. Mine wasn't. If you're just looknig for a higher dyno number and don't care about your car being slower in a race, then dyno it before and after. If you like the way it looks and don't care that your car is a little slower, then just put it on.

The point I'm trying to make is that it didn't work for me, even Bama admitted their car picked up .03 in the 1/4. Thats right, three HUNDREDTHS...hardly an improvement for how gutless it makes the car on the street. Oh and if you have a problem with traction get better tires and suspension, don't reduce your cars torque or power to get it to hook, thats retarded.
Hear is the hater again! What's up man I see still hating at your best never said it was my time sheet just said that is what my set up is capable of and that's him bogging on launch! Nothing is misleading bud if u can read u can understand the words I used! Second no matter how u spin it that time slip does not lie! U don't know me and don't know if I can pull those times or not u talk alot of trash! Im showing proof that a 5.0 with all the same mods I have pulled this time proving that this setup can put out these times as far as skills on the track anyone can get good with alil practice. I don't like u are the way u try to come at me! This is the second time ur negative crap has showed up where I'm posting. Do u have a problem with me bud!? If so I'm sure we can settle this outside of this thread! PM me
Old 1/20/12, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hater? I compared results before and after and I have facts. You have done neither, that doesn't make me a hater, it makes you a fanboi.

You can nutswing off your friends pass all you want, it doesn't mean the boss intake will make a given persons car faster. I guess some people have to learn the hard way. I did.

And quit acting like I'm following you around, I reply to most of the "I'm thinking about a boss intake" threads. Obviously you do too. I'm not talking trash, just facts. Something you and your awful typing/grammar must not be able to grasp.
Old 1/20/12, 01:53 PM
GT Member

Each to his own to how much they get out of a mod. The boss intake isn't a supercharger that's gonna really throw you back. Is a mod that helps your engine breathe better and run more efficient with the right a/f ratio. If you look at any dyno before or after. The car doesn't really loose or gain any hp. The only thing the intake does is let you stay in a gear longer with out losing power before you shift, and the low RPM's are so close you more than likely could tell a difference. The fact is that the stock intake drops off and the boss keeps the same gradual climb to higher Rpms.

I noticed with my sport bikes who ever shift first usually feel behind first. I'm not saying this is the same with cars or in every instance but its an opinion that I have.

So that being said I feel like the boss intake could benefit me because of what I want to do with my car and not let my power fall off the table in higher speed races. If not I can always sale it or just keep it for looks on the car.

Plus these forums are for opinions and advice. It's each persons decision to take the advice or not. Most people will make there own decisions on what they can do or already want to do.

One thing I've noticed is I haven't found very many if any used boss intakes for sale from people taking then off because they don't like them. So what does that say??
Old 1/20/12, 01:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Each to his own to how much they get out of a mod. The boss intake isn't a supercharger that's gonna really throw you back. Is a mod that helps your engine breathe better and run more efficient with the right a/f ratio. If you look at any dyno before or after. The car doesn't really loose or gain any hp. The only thing the intake does is let you stay in a gear longer with out losing power before you shift, and the low RPM's are so close you more than likely could tell a difference. The fact is that the stock intake drops off and the boss keeps the same gradual climb to higher Rpms.

I noticed with my sport bikes who ever shift first usually feel behind first. I'm not saying this is the same with cars or in every instance but its an opinion that I have.

So that being said I feel like the boss intake could benefit me because of what I want to do with my car and not let my power fall off the table in higher speed races. If not I can always sale it or just keep it for looks on the car.

Plus these forums are for opinions and advice. It's each persons decision to take the advice or not. Most people will make there own decisions on what they can do or already want to do.

One thing I've noticed is I haven't found very many if any used boss intakes for sale from people taking then off because they don't like them. So what does that say??
Nothing. I listed mine used on here and almost bought nicks used. The guy I sold mine to took it off because it slowed his car down. They usually don't last because misinformed people have a lesson to learn lol.
Old 1/20/12, 02:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by blackgt87

Nothing. I listed mine used on here and almost bought nicks used. The guy I sold mine to took it off because it slowed his car down. They usually don't last because misinformed people have a lesson to learn lol.
Nice some times the best lesson learned is from a mistake. Especially if there's nobody around with the mods to take you for a test ride. Lol!! I've seen the intake glorified and dumped on. 5.0 magazine said its a good building block for other mods or if your into drag racing or high rpm racing, but for the street it's more for eye candy. Then in another months magazine a guy took it off at the strip and ran a better time, and other guys ran with the boss and posted good times.

I think it's all in how you drive the car. You have to figure out just what the car needs form you to make it truly fast.
Old 1/20/12, 02:25 PM
GT Member

This is one example of the boss intake. I hope you can read it. Best time of an 11.8

August 2011 issue of 5.0 mustang and super fords. Coyote shoot out.

Boss intake
Jlt
Aluminum drive shaft
Catless LT
Pypes exhaust
Rst clutch
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Boss intake and gears