Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Alternate to Brembo Package

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/10, 09:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sam strano
This is sticky... Here's the way I see it. If Ford was perfect and gave us all exactly what we wanted---then there would be an awful lot more bone stock Mustangs out there. And most "ford racing" parts are in fact AFTERMARKET not Ford at all. Eibach makes their springs and bars, Tokico makes a lot of the dampers. The Ford Racing intake on the Shelby GT? A Steeda part.

The stock wheels are classic. Strong? Yes--but also weigh a metric ton! Cheap to make something strong and heavy, not as cheap to make strong and light. Same with suspension parts, it costs more money to get more advanced items.

All that is stated above and in 908's post is simple.
It's called mass appeal and cost.

If they put performance suspension (like they are on the Boss 302) how many people do you think would actually buy a Mustang GT???

Not many, cuz it would make it ride a lot rougher and not what 95% of Mustang GT buyers want. it would also add to the cost.

But that does NOT make the aftermarket parts "better" like 908 is suggesting. Rationalization like that is just wrong and narrow minded.
Again if you want all those things in a stock Mustang you buy the Boss 302 or if you are really crazy about handling and performance you buy the Laguna Seca version.
But again, I'd put my money on a major company like Ford and the time and money they spend in R&D than a small company that knocks something out in a month or two and beta tests in on 2-3 cars then sells it to the public. Calling a product "better" that appeals to a lot less people, sells tens of thousands less, has millions less in R&D and isn't warrantied for nearly as long, by a company that's a fraction of the size, would never be the sole reason in defining anything as "better". But you could call me crazy for thinking that, but I have a feeling the mass, in mass would feel as I do.

Having said that, there are an awful lot of great aftermarket products, and that's awesome for the small percentage of people who do modify their cars with aftermarket products.

Last edited by Driver72; 10/9/10 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10/10/10, 02:21 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
You are very welcome! One final point - the non-Brembo GTs have a "sport" setting on their AdvanceTrac (I have a non-Brembo car) - I didn't find out about it except thru this forum. But I've read that the Brembo pkg Sport setting allows more agressive driving before it kicks in. A "Sportier" sport, if you will.
Hey guy. I have the non-Brembo car and I don't have the Sport Mode on my AdvanceTrac. Seems some have it and some don't. Maybe a parts shortage and Ford used what ever was handy. In any case I rather think it is redundant. Either keep it all on for the street or all off for the track. Not to say though that the Brembo package is not a great bargain. I think it is.

BTW, I like to repeat to everyone that these nannies are aids. If you get in over your head the laws of physics still apply. Drive safe.

Cheers.
Old 12/29/10, 09:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Be aware that unless you get 19" wheels you will not get a strut tower brace if you get a coupe. All convertibles now have the STB, but only the coupes with 19" wheels or Brembo pkg get the STB.

Are you aware that the Brembo pkg also provides a sportier "sport" setting on the AdvanceTrac? There really is a lot more to it than meets the eye, and when you consider any of the optional 19" non-Brembo wheels (like my optional Nickel Luster wheels) cost $1000 and are 8-1/2" wide, whereas the brembo package, with 9" wide wheels, includes the other content (in addition to the brembo brakes themselves) for only $695 more, there really is a lot of value to the BBP.

To your point that 19" tires are hard to find, the Tire Rack has my 245/45-19 P-Zero Nero A/S tires for $178 each, which i think is rather reasonable. It's the Brembo pkg 19" summer tires (255/40-19) that'll cost ya. They aren't hard to find if you have $$$. Good luck with that.
Recently I bought an´11 Brembo, and coming out from a Porsche Carrera with a modified sport suspension. I really like the way this brembo handles almost like you are driving on tracks. I was very impressed after I readed the comparation of the Brembo with the M3, but still I believe that if you do some changes to the springs and shocks, like to the one´s that Sam Strano recommends (Koni & Steeda), this will improve the ride even better. For the electronic nannie "sport seeting" on the advance track, you really can feel that difference, I really like what FORD did with this ´11 car.