Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

AirRaid CAI installed

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/13, 07:51 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks great I was very impressed with the quality and figment when I got mine. The only thing is that Airaid sticker is terrible I took mine off with a heat gun.
Old 4/29/13, 03:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Ran the Airaid on my '11. You pick up about 8 rwhp from it without a tune. Funny thing is i ran a better trap with the insert in and tune than out and tune.
Which tune/tuner were you using? My next mod will be a tune so I'm curious...
Old 4/30/13, 04:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The best tune i have tried to date is Brookspeed. Very smooth with great power and it pulls through the whole band.
Old 4/30/13, 10:05 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
How are you liking it??? Details please. Untuned right?
I am currently untuned. I am not sure if I will ever tune, I want to but I also plan of keeping this car for a very long time. As you know I drive it all year round. So far I am liking the Airaid mostly because you kind of forget it is there until you get on the gas. I had put a CAI on my '04 Mazda 3GT and the slightest rev of the engine produced a lot of air sucking noise. I agree also that the logo on it could go. It looks a bit cartoonish to me. I saw another member who put a Ford oval there and it looked good. I am going to look for one the proper size and do this to mine.

I am also going to have a fun opportunity this weekend. A friend of mine who has a RR 12 GT is coming over to my house and I am going to install his GT500 AB's for him. I will have the opportunity to hear the sound of fresh mufflers along side mine which have 7200 miles on them now. Also he has the stock CAI and we can hear the difference between the two.

I can hear you now Burton, "pictures please", so yes I will post a few pics of the cars along with some notes.
Old 4/30/13, 11:23 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by orpheus
I am currently untuned. I am not sure if I will ever tune, I want to but I also plan of keeping this car for a very long time. As you know I drive it all year round. So far I am liking the Airaid mostly because you kind of forget it is there until you get on the gas. I had put a CAI on my '04 Mazda 3GT and the slightest rev of the engine produced a lot of air sucking noise. I agree also that the logo on it could go. It looks a bit cartoonish to me. I saw another member who put a Ford oval there and it looked good. I am going to look for one the proper size and do this to mine.

I am also going to have a fun opportunity this weekend. A friend of mine who has a RR 12 GT is coming over to my house and I am going to install his GT500 AB's for him. I will have the opportunity to hear the sound of fresh mufflers along side mine which have 7200 miles on them now. Also he has the stock CAI and we can hear the difference between the two.

I can hear you now Burton, "pictures please", so yes I will post a few pics of the cars along with some notes.
Haha Dan!!! You know me like we're brothers already. LOL.

Yes, do post pics and stories please. So he's getting GT500 ab's? What do you have currently? If you don't yet have them, Borlas ftw. I wish you could hear mine in person... I have the full catback.

As for the logo removal, YES... I would love to do that too. Please elaborate on the process of logo removal, and then what sized ford logo did you put on there??? Am assuming super glue.

Side note, we got rid of the Fusion today, for a Prius V... for the wifey. I hope I am still loved by the Ford community lol. Mileage and room is king in our family
Old 4/30/13, 11:52 AM
GT Member

I also have GT500 AB. They have been on the car since new. The dealer was even nice enough to swap them over to this car when the first one got creamed.

So a Prius V? yikes. I understand. lol.
Old 4/30/13, 01:51 PM
I Have No Life

I also have GT500 AB. They have been on the car since new. The dealer was even nice enough to swap them over to this car when the first one got creamed.

So a Prius V? yikes. I understand. lol.
I know man... don't laugh TOO loud, I can hear you here in Iowa. LOL.

But yeah, I have both sides of the spectrum... 12 mpg City for Mustang (the way I drive it lol), and 44 mpg city for my wife's Prius V... so that means we net almost 30...
Old 4/30/13, 03:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Assuming you are getting the Airaid, there is a Venturi tube the will be zip-tied to the tube on the end that goes to the air box. If you are not tuning you clip the tie and leave it in. Since you are tuning you will just clip the cable tie and take it out.
My "Race" CAI didn't come with any such item.
AM lists 2 different Airaid CAI's, one clearly named Airaid Race CAI (see pic below of box with part # on it)

This is the set-up I ended up with:
Attached Thumbnails AirRaid CAI installed-2013-04-29_airaid-cai-7.jpg   AirRaid CAI installed-2013-04-29_airaid-cai-3.jpg   AirRaid CAI installed-2013-04-29_airaid-cai-6.jpg   AirRaid CAI installed-2013-04-29_airaid-cai-1.jpg   AirRaid CAI installed-2013-04-29_airaid-cai-2.jpg  

AirRaid CAI installed-2013-04-29_airaid.jpg  
Old 4/30/13, 07:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Gabe

My "Race" CAI didn't come with any such item.
AM lists 2 different Airaid CAI's, one clearly named Airaid Race CAI (see pic below of box with part # on it)

This is the set-up I ended up with:
I'm assuming that because you bought it with the tuner they removed it? Also the shield over the filter must be due to your hood vents. Looks good though, how's the tune feel?
Old 4/30/13, 07:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm assuming that because you bought it with the tuner they removed it? Also the shield over the filter must be due to your hood vents. Looks good though, how's the tune feel?
The CAI box had the original tape on it, didn't look to have been re-taped.

Airaid lists different CAIs for the 5.0 Mustang:

Airaid "Race" # 450-303 : http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail....ductID=450-303
"AIRAID MXP Series Cold Air Dam Intake System; SynthaFlow; Requires Custom Tuning; Race Only"

Airaid # 450-264 : http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail....ductID=450-264
"AIRAID MXP Series Cold Air Dam Intake System; Incl. Intake Tube; Easy To Install w/Basic Hand Tools"

Airaid # 451-264 : http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail....ductID=451-264
"AIRAID MXP Series Cold Air Dam Intake System; SynthaMax (non-oiled filter); Incl. Intake Tube; Easy To Install w/Basic Hand Tools"
Old 5/1/13, 11:31 AM
GT Member

The CAI box had the original tape on it, didn't look to have been re-taped.

Airaid lists different CAIs for the 5.0 Mustang:

Airaid "Race" # 450-303 : http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail....ductID=450-303
"AIRAID MXP Series Cold Air Dam Intake System; SynthaFlow; Requires Custom Tuning; Race Only"

Airaid # 450-264 : http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail....ductID=450-264
"AIRAID MXP Series Cold Air Dam Intake System; Incl. Intake Tube; Easy To Install w/Basic Hand Tools"

Airaid # 451-264 : http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail....ductID=451-264
"AIRAID MXP Series Cold Air Dam Intake System; SynthaMax (non-oiled filter); Incl. Intake Tube; Easy To Install w/Basic Hand Tools"
I just looked at my box. I have the 450-264. So I guess they are different.
Old 5/3/13, 07:16 PM
I Have No Life

Guys, to clarify, our airaid filters are non oiled right? Just wash every 10 or 20k miles?
Old 5/3/13, 07:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Guys, to clarify, our airaid filters are non oiled right? Just wash every 10 or 20k miles?
According to their aite, they only advertise the Airaid # 451-264 as being non-oiled
So that would be a paper filter, I believe.

The box that MY filter came in had advertising on it for the cleaning/oiling kit
Old 5/3/13, 10:06 PM
Bullitt Member

If it's red, it requires oil. If it's blue, no oil, that's the easy way to tell. The non oil filters are called Synthamax IIRC. Mines red and I've used K&N filter cleaner and oil on it without a problem.
Old 5/4/13, 06:37 AM

The synthamax filters are also red. You should pay attention to the part number and dry filter warning sticker on the box.
Old 5/4/13, 07:08 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by sloppymax
The synthamax filters are also red. You should pay attention to the part number and dry filter warning sticker on the box.
Ok ... Here's my situation. I bought mine used, so no real manufacturer box. I can look to see if the part # is on the filter itself. It's a red filter. So which part # does it need to be if dry and no oil?
Old 5/4/13, 07:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

If it's a dry filter it's made out of paper ... not the metal grating and oiled cloth
Old 5/4/13, 07:31 AM
I Have No Life

If it's a dry filter it's made out of paper ... not the metal grating and oiled cloth
Checking now
Old 5/4/13, 07:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I know man... don't laugh TOO loud, I can hear you here in Iowa. LOL.

But yeah, I have both sides of the spectrum... 12 mpg City for Mustang (the way I drive it lol), and 44 mpg city for my wife's Prius V... so that means we net almost 30...
I wish I could afford a Prius so I could flip off the gas stations here outside Chicago everytime they raise the price just because someone sneezed...as soon as they talked about prices dropping across the country, they jumped about 50 cents around here....
Old 5/4/13, 07:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JCStang
I wish I could afford a Prius so I could flip off the gas stations here outside Chicago everytime they raise the price just because someone sneezed...as soon as they talked about prices dropping across the country, they jumped about 50 cents around here....
Oh wow, my area actually took a significant unexpected drop

Quick Reply: AirRaid CAI installed