Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

AirRaid CAI installed

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/13, 06:46 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Many Thanks to Doug (stanglife12)

I finished installing my CAI (no tune) today. Total install time was 1/2 hour. I followed the accompanying airraid instructions, and disconnected the negative battery terminal. Still not sure why, but....

Install was a breeze. First impressions upon starting up and a few revs, I love the growl sound when it sucks in air.

Sound wise when driving, it pairs up really well with the borlas. Though I must admit my borlas drown it out a bit lol. I can still hear it a tad when I get on it... But my borlas sing louder

Butt dyno may be affected by a little bit of placebo, but it seems to rev up faster and free-er of you will. I squawk tires in 1st, 2nd, and tad in 3rd....

Car is just perfect right now.... I fall in love everyday lol. Only thing it needs is a supercharge some day. I think I'd kill myself if that happened

Here's some before, during, and after pics...plus a short startup vid. I did t rev it up as much since engine was still cold. But you can hear it "sucking" tho haha.

And if anything, even if power gains are minimal, it looks hella good under the hood. (Yes that rhymed lol)

Edit: I know the ugly sound tube is still there, but I plan on deleting it once I get the plug from airraid (they're shipping me one). For those of you that have done this delete, does that entire length of ugly tubing get removed all the way to the firewall???
Attached Thumbnails AirRaid CAI installed-image-2770800674.jpg   AirRaid CAI installed-image-1214748298.jpg   AirRaid CAI installed-image-2593401323.jpg   AirRaid CAI installed-image-1555296106.jpg  

Last edited by FromZto5; 4/20/13 at 07:01 PM.
Old 4/20/13, 07:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great, I'm glad you are happy with it, I know you were curious about doing it for a while
Old 4/20/13, 07:46 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Sound wise when driving, it pairs up really well with the borlas. Though I must admit my borlas drown it out a bit lol. I can still hear it a tad when I get on it... But my borlas sing louder
That's true.
Looks good.
Old 4/20/13, 08:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice
Old 4/20/13, 08:29 PM
Cobra Member

Nice man, it's the opposite for me though, I can't hear my GT 500's overmy intake with the windows down, this may be in thanks to the 13' hood vents
Old 4/20/13, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
YES the whole tube comes out along with everything else it attaches to.5 minutes to do it all.
Old 4/20/13, 08:59 PM
Cobra Member

If it wasn't for the accordion thingy , I'd say the stock airbox is just as good.
Old 4/21/13, 05:56 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
Looks great, I'm glad you are happy with it, I know you were curious about doing it for a while
Originally Posted by Stage_3
That's true.
Looks good.
Originally Posted by scramblerider5
Nice
Originally Posted by Ponywars
YES the whole tube comes out along with everything else it attaches to.5 minutes to do it all.
Originally Posted by 2012GT
If it wasn't for the accordion thingy , I'd say the stock airbox is just as good.
Thanks guys... Yeah, I'm ok with it possibly not having as much "function" per se, but it looks good under the hood, and when I do get a tune, all I have to do is pull the Venturi tube, and voila.
Old 4/21/13, 06:32 AM
Banned

Hope it works out for you. I sent mine back to American Muscle ( No problem ) great people to work with, due to the CRANK CASE BREATHER LINE VALVE and engine light problem. I ordered the Rousch CAI from AM and will be installing that one.
Old 4/21/13, 06:39 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Bill's 5.0
Hope it works out for you. I sent mine back to American Muscle ( No problem ) great people to work with, due to the CRANK CASE BREATHER LINE VALVE and engine light problem. I ordered the Rousch CAI from AM and will be installing that one.
Yeah I'm still puzzled as to why there's an issue with yours. My guess is you broke that crank case valve lever.... It's the gray plastic tab. Instructions say to be very careful when removing that. I mean installing it back is a simple "push" on.

Could this possibly be what happened to yours?
Old 4/21/13, 08:33 AM
Banned

Yeah I'm still puzzled as to why there's an issue with yours. My guess is you broke that crank case valve lever.... It's the gray plastic tab. Instructions say to be very careful when removing that. I mean installing it back is a simple "push" on.

Could this possibly be what happened to yours?
"NO", everything was done properly. Like I said because of mine and others on here, we have been having problems with the CEL coming on and this maybe the primery reason why this system will not work. Do not forget I had it in the shop and the mechanic tested the CAI and the valve was causing it to run too lean and fluctuated. The Rousch CAI that I ordered will allow me to keep most of the stock intake so this should work for me. I do not plan a tune anytime soon because of warranty. I only have 3900 miles on my 2013 5.0 GT.

Last edited by Bill's 5.0; 4/21/13 at 08:37 AM.
Old 4/21/13, 10:05 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Bill's 5.0

"NO", everything was done properly. Like I said because of mine and others on here, we have been having problems with the CEL coming on and this maybe the primery reason why this system will not work. Do not forget I had it in the shop and the mechanic tested the CAI and the valve was causing it to run too lean and fluctuated. The Rousch CAI that I ordered will allow me to keep most of the stock intake so this should work for me. I do not plan a tune anytime soon because of warranty. I only have 3900 miles on my 2013 5.0 GT.
Sorry to hear that. Are there other folks on here with the cel problem as well with the airraid? So far I know of only you
Old 4/21/13, 08:09 PM
GT Member

Burton if you hadn't bought that CAI from Doug I was going to buy it. So I bought one from AM and will install it tomorrow. I had never heard of the cel problem until after I ordered it. Will post if there are any problems. Hopefully not.
Old 4/22/13, 04:29 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by orpheus
Burton if you hadn't bought that CAI from Doug I was going to buy it. So I bought one from AM and will install it tomorrow. I had never heard of the cel problem until after I ordered it. Will post if there are any problems. Hopefully not.
Hey Dan what's up. Long time no hear. How's Wisconsin lately? This stupid weather is posing me off. If it ain't cold, it's rain. Can hardly drive her

Yeah I'm loving it so far. No issues. I still think he had a bad valve or something.

Yes please let me know how it goes. With pics too please
Old 4/22/13, 08:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Glad it worked out for you!!! I knew you would like it....I had three different intakes and the Airaid was my fav!
Im running the stock intake now for the time being () but next week it will be coming off!
Old 4/22/13, 08:14 AM
Banned

Sorry to hear that. Are there other folks on here with the cel problem as well with the airraid? So far I know of only you
I do not know, but I would be interested if someone would like to chime in. Probably the chances of someone having CEL problems and having the Airaid without Tune and having Mechanic check it out is probably very low, but lets see.

Last edited by Bill's 5.0; 4/22/13 at 08:20 AM.
Old 4/22/13, 05:55 PM
GT Member

Hey Dan what's up. Long time no hear. How's Wisconsin lately? This stupid weather is posing me off. If it ain't cold, it's rain. Can hardly drive her

Yeah I'm loving it so far. No issues. I still think he had a bad valve or something.

Yes please let me know how it goes. With pics too please
After having to wait all day for the UPS man, since my CAI was loaded onto the wrong truck, I have it installed and it looks great and sounds even better. I was only able to take it around a few blocks and will take some pics tomorrow. It looks a lot like yours! Lol.

As for good ole Wisconsin, it's still cold, and wet and we still have some snowbanks! Haven't even been able to take the Blizzaks off. Looks like this weekend it's going to be nice. I may not even come in the house.
Old 4/24/13, 09:44 AM
V6 Member

What is the benefit of the AriAid compared to the JLT CAI? I'm planning on getting one soon. Also how did u install a CAI without a tune? i thought the car would throw a code with a new intake.
Old 4/24/13, 11:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nelsonoj5
What is the benefit of the AriAid compared to the JLT CAI? I'm planning on getting one soon. Also how did u install a CAI without a tune? i thought the car would throw a code with a new intake.
You only need a tune when changing the MAF size in the intake tube. The benefit to the Airaid is the no tune sleeve that comes with it. The sleeve keeps the MAF size the same so no tune required. When you get ready for a tune, remove the sleeve, load the tune and you are good to go. Some of us need to mod our cars in stages when money becomes available, so there is the benefit, plus it is a good quality product.
Old 4/24/13, 02:16 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon

You only need a tune when changing the MAF size in the intake tube. The benefit to the Airaid is the no tune sleeve that comes with it. The sleeve keeps the MAF size the same so no tune required. When you get ready for a tune, remove the sleeve, load the tune and you are good to go. Some of us need to mod our cars in stages when money becomes available, so there is the benefit, plus it is a good quality product.
This is perfect info man... Thanks. So I'm curious about what you mean when you say "maf size". I know the removable Venturi tube gets places in the intake tube right where it connects to the cone filter. Part of that Venturi tube is the opening that lines up with the cutout opening for the maf sensor. Is this what you mean that changes the "maf size"???

But yes overall, am very happy with the airraid. Almost a week now.... Car seems to pull a little harder and freer with the intake and exhaust.

Quick Reply: AirRaid CAI installed