5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

AirRaid CAI installed

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/13, 03:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the update FromZto5. Glad to hear it's doing what it was designed to do under that glossy hood you have. I want to get rid of the stinkin sound tube too.
Old 4/24/13, 04:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FromZto5
This is perfect info man... Thanks. So I'm curious about what you mean when you say "maf size". I know the removable Venturi tube gets places in the intake tube right where it connects to the cone filter. Part of that Venturi tube is the opening that lines up with the cutout opening for the maf sensor. Is this what you mean that changes the "maf size"???

But yes overall, am very happy with the airraid. Almost a week now.... Car seems to pull a little harder and freer with the intake and exhaust.
The MAF is Mass Air Flow and the sensor measures the air going by it. The tune requires a known measurement of the area that the air is flowing through. When you increase the size of the intake, the tune has to account for the increase in size otherwise your car will run lean and will throw a CEL.

I did my exhaust first and loved the sound but noticed no change with the butt dyno. After the Airaid was installed it deepened the pitch of my exhaust and I noticed some increase in throttle response, but not much. I'm currently saving for a tune....Can't hardly wait to see what she does with my mods!
Old 4/24/13, 05:17 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Thanks for the update FromZto5. Glad to hear it's doing what it was designed to do under that glossy hood you have. I want to get rid of the stinkin sound tube too.
Steve I forgot to update you and others... I think I did it on another thread. The sound tube had been gone for a couple days now. To be honest, it's hardly noticeable because my borlas are singing music all the time but I think the faint difference is now there is the absence of the "hollow echoing" that you hear. So the sound now is pure exhaust, engine, and intake. If anything, the engine bay is much cleaner.

I attached two photos... Before and after.

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon

The MAF is Mass Air Flow and the sensor measures the air going by it. The tune requires a known measurement of the area that the air is flowing through. When you increase the size of the intake, the tune has to account for the increase in size otherwise your car will run lean and will throw a CEL.

I did my exhaust first and loved the sound but noticed no change with the butt dyno. After the Airaid was installed it deepened the pitch of my exhaust and I noticed some increase in throttle response, but not much. I'm currently saving for a tune....Can't hardly wait to see what she does with my mods!
Yep I knew what maf is... I just got confused when you said "size". I gotcha now tho. So sounds like you and I have roughly the same mods... Airraid intake no tune, and full exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails AirRaid CAI installed-image-2571675802.jpg   AirRaid CAI installed-image-161358043.jpg  
Old 4/24/13, 08:22 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't been home to take any pics yet. All I have are some iPhone pics. I too am doing the mods in stages, and will tune someday. I was pleasantly surprised the Airaid came with a firewall plug! I know some people have struggled with getting the rubber hood seal into place. I put many parts of the kit together on the bench. The seal was no problem not having to lean over the car. I also put the rubber boot on the throttle body end on and tightened the clamp and installed the maf. Then put the air cleaner mounting plate and the rubber adapter on the air box before it went near the car. After that the install couldn't have been simpler on the car; mount the air box, put tube on throttle body and mate them up, tighten two clamps, put the air cleaner on, cap off that sound tube and enjoy.

It did crank a bit on the first start. Assuming it was because the battery and maf were disconnected.
Old 4/24/13, 09:11 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by orpheus
I haven't been home to take any pics yet. All I have are some iPhone pics. I too am doing the mods in stages, and will tune someday. I was pleasantly surprised the Airaid came with a firewall plug! I know some people have struggled with getting the rubber hood seal into place. I put many parts of the kit together on the bench. The seal was no problem not having to lean over the car. I also put the rubber boot on the throttle body end on and tightened the clamp and installed the maf. Then put the air cleaner mounting plate and the rubber adapter on the air box before it went near the car. After that the install couldn't have been simpler on the car; mount the air box, put tube on throttle body and mate them up, tighten two clamps, put the air cleaner on, cap off that sound tube and enjoy.

It did crank a bit on the first start. Assuming it was because the battery and maf were disconnected.
Dan, when you say the rubber seal, do you mean the wiper rubber looking thing that attaches onto the top of the airbox? Luckily, the guy I bought it from already had it installed. Even so, it did not seem like the rubber wiper piece needed much effort to get it on the airbox. So literally, all I had to do was connect the blue silicone tube on to the throttlebody, and then install the airbox into place.

Did you remember to put the rubber mounts from the stock air box onto the new airraid airbox? Other than that, pretty simple.

How do you like it? I really love mine. It really seems to complement the Borla exhaust Quite well.
Old 4/24/13, 09:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine cranked for a bit longer than normal too. I think it is the computer re-learning the fueling requirements of the new CAI after having the battery disconnected.
Old 4/25/13, 04:53 AM
I Have No Life

Interesting. No longer crank for me... Maybe I just didn't notice??? Hmmm
Old 4/25/13, 06:04 AM
GT Member

Dan, when you say the rubber seal, do you mean the wiper rubber looking thing that attaches onto the top of the airbox? Luckily, the guy I bought it from already had it installed. Even so, it did not seem like the rubber wiper piece needed much effort to get it on the airbox. So literally, all I had to do was connect the blue silicone tube on to the throttlebody, and then install the airbox into place.

Did you remember to put the rubber mounts from the stock air box onto the new airraid airbox? Other than that, pretty simple.

How do you like it? I really love mine. It really seems to complement the Borla exhaust Quite well.
Yes that's what I am talking about. It's a bit of a bugger to get around the corner and as you mentioned I would imagine that it would be worse if you we're trying to push it onto the air box while it was sitting under the hood on rubber mounts! Speaking of rubber mounts, did you put anything in the air box hole that is supposed to hold the rubber mount for the sound tube? I'm gonna have to find a plug for that.

I really do like it, and I like the sound tube delete as well. I couldn't agree more that it is nice to hear natural sounds rather than manufactured sound. After I installed it the other day I let my buddy drive it without telling him that I had installed it. He has driven the car before so I was interested in seeing if he noticed. He did right away. His words were "snappier" and balanced sound. I agree with the balanced sound, before it was all exhaust, now it is like another instrument has been added and the music just got a little sweeter. I can't wait to do a few hard runs with it this weekend.
Old 4/25/13, 02:55 PM
I Have No Life

Yes that's what I am talking about. It's a bit of a bugger to get around the corner and as you mentioned I would imagine that it would be worse if you we're trying to push it onto the air box while it was sitting under the hood on rubber mounts! Speaking of rubber mounts, did you put anything in the air box hole that is supposed to hold the rubber mount for the sound tube? I'm gonna have to find a plug for that.

I really do like it, and I like the sound tube delete as well. I couldn't agree more that it is nice to hear natural sounds rather than manufactured sound. After I installed it the other day I let my buddy drive it without telling him that I had installed it. He has driven the car before so I was interested in seeing if he noticed. He did right away. His words were "snappier" and balanced sound. I agree with the balanced sound, before it was all exhaust, now it is like another instrument has been added and the music just got a little sweeter. I can't wait to do a few hard runs with it this weekend.
That's a good point!!! That hole in the airbox where the sound tube bracket is supposed to go... that will be an entry point for engine compartment heat. ARRRRGGGGHHHH... even in its absence, that sound tube is STILL causing mayhem and inconvenience Maybe for now, I will put the sound tube bracket in there, just to seal it up.

Yes, it is definitely more responsive as a whole. Am contemplating when to get a tune next....... For having Airaid, are we limited to a Bama Tune? Or can we still get a Steeda, or a VMP, or etc.... What do you guys think? I wonder if Jason @ VMP can do a mail order tune with someone who has a Borla Catback plus Airaid CAI only????
Old 4/25/13, 06:38 PM

I just took my sound tube off and had the same problem. I was looking for what to fill the hole with,as walking to the hood of the car in the garage I see a pluming repair kit with tons of rubber washers and tried each one and it worked. The only down side was it had a small hole but I glued one that was smaller and had no hole in it. looked like it was made for it lol
Attached Thumbnails AirRaid CAI installed-image-1694794665.jpg   AirRaid CAI installed-image-3476517644.jpg   AirRaid CAI installed-image-71171985.jpg  

Last edited by RaceRed5.0; 4/25/13 at 06:46 PM.
Old 4/27/13, 09:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts
What's this piece that you can keep or remove if you have a tune?
I haven't heard of this piece before.

My CAI and tuner should be here Monday, I wanna make sure I'm gonna install everything correctly ...

Got my free rain shield today
Old 4/27/13, 10:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
What's this piece that you can keep or remove if you have a tune?
I haven't heard of this piece before.

My CAI and tuner should be here Monday, I wanna make sure I'm gonna install everything correctly ...

Got my free rain shield today
Assuming you are getting the Airaid, there is a Venturi tube the will be zip-tied to the tube on the end that goes to the air box. If you are not tuning you clip the tie and leave it in. Since you are tuning you will just clip the cable tie and take it out.
Old 4/28/13, 05:50 AM
I Have No Life

Assuming you are getting the Airaid, there is a Venturi tube the will be zip-tied to the tube on the end that goes to the air box. If you are not tuning you clip the tie and leave it in. Since you are tuning you will just clip the cable tie and take it out.
This.

If leaving in, just make sure it lines up with the maf sensor hole ....
Old 4/28/13, 06:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts
Yeah I've got the Airaid Race CAI coming in, at least that's what AM's site calls it, anyway.
It's the one they bundle with the Bama tuner in this combo: http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid...er-1113gt.html
Old 4/28/13, 05:47 PM
GT Member

So I finally took some pics today. Spent some time with the car this weekend. A little cleaning and a lot of driving. I have to say, more horsepower or not, I like this mod. I put in a pic of the outside of the car as I put on the summer wheels/tires and got rid of the red calipers this weekend. The chrome wheels made too many red reflections and it was just too much.Name:  IMG_3552.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  128.0 KBName:  IMG_3566.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  73.6 KBName:  IMG_3564.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  67.1 KB

Last edited by orpheus; 4/28/13 at 08:35 PM.
Old 4/28/13, 07:19 PM
I Have No Life

Delicious, Dan..... Simply delicious.
Old 4/28/13, 08:09 PM
GT Member

Delicious, Dan..... Simply delicious.
Thanks bud.
Old 4/29/13, 04:34 AM
I Have No Life

Thanks bud.
How are you liking it??? Details please. Untuned right?
Old 4/29/13, 04:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ran the Airaid on my '11. You pick up about 8 rwhp from it without a tune. Funny thing is i ran a better trap with the insert in and tune than out and tune.
Old 4/29/13, 06:22 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Ran the Airaid on my '11. You pick up about 8 rwhp from it without a tune. Funny thing is i ran a better trap with the insert in and tune than out and tune.
This is good to know. This may delay my needs to get an actual tune a bit further.

Quick Reply: AirRaid CAI installed