Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Aftermarket Drive Shaft To SOLVE NVH Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/15, 10:18 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aftermarket Drive Shaft To SOLVE NVH Problems?

I purchased my 2013 GT Premium/M6/3.73 gears a month ago and have the lovely vibration/drone from 55-75 mph. It has zero mods. The dealership replaced the factory shaft with another factory one, and no improvement.

Has anyone replaced the factory shaft with an aluminum or carbon and eliminated this vibration issue? I have read cases that have been made it both better and worse. I could care less about the improvement in performance. I simply want a smooth riding performance car on the highway.

Any experience you may have on this would be incredibly helpful.

Last edited by farsidejunky; 2/20/15 at 10:20 AM.
Old 2/20/15, 11:18 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
aftermarket drive shaft wont be a good solution for reducing the NVH issue. hope experts in here give you fix with oem setup you have now.
Old 2/20/15, 12:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang...-238-10002094/

We have tested our Steeda Mustang 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft with various modification and gearing combinations and experienced no increase in NVH. We even tested this driveshaft in an automatic GT with 3.73 gears - no knocking, increased noise or 'clunking' whatsoever! - See more at: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang....4C5Urihf.dpuf
So glad this mod is finally installed, came with all necessary bolts needed for installation. Compared to other driveshafts out there, this Steeda one popped right in with no need to change the pinion flange (in case you aren't familiar, this is a huge benefit)! Looks great under the car as well. Even with my gearing there was no increase in NVH and can already tell the car is a bit faster - less rotating mass is always a plus. Shipping was fast! Thanks Steeda. - See more at: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang....4C5Urihf.dpuf
The driveshaft is a great product at a great price. Highlights....

*Install time was 2+ hours
*Car is way more responsive to throttle input
*No increase in noise and no increase in vibration at all RPMS
*Deceleration is less when coasting in gear
*The car generally feels faster as a result of installing the aluminum driveshaft.

I am very happy with the price and quality of Steeda's aluminum driveshaft offering. It was a nice bolt on upgrade and you will immediately feel the impacts of the change from the stock two piece unit.

I hope Steeda puts together a video on how to properly install the aluminum driveshaft. It would have been helpful and reassuring. - See more at: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang....4C5Urihf.dpuf
I can put you in contact with one of the gentlemen at our facility to give you the before & after benefits of the unit. It is hard to guarantee a reduction in vibration, if the dealership already replaced your current one & it is still there.

Best Regards,

TJ

Last edited by tj@steeda; 2/20/15 at 12:29 PM.
Old 2/20/15, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It may not be your drive shaft causing the vibration. Check your tires for a broken belt (it will look like a bulge in the side wall) and have the tires checked for balance. Vibration is usually something simple that is just out of balance in the system. Good luck solving this one!
Old 2/20/15, 03:21 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
It may not be your drive shaft causing the vibration. Check your tires for a broken belt (it will look like a bulge in the side wall) and have the tires checked for balance. Vibration is usually something simple that is just out of balance in the system. Good luck solving this one!
Old 2/20/15, 03:29 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
If your driveshaft was replaced and you still have the same problem, its more than likely something else causing the vibration. Just saying......
Old 2/20/15, 03:30 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
sorry, posted late
Old 2/20/15, 05:11 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My thought process was the questionable quality of the shafts. I have read two instances on other forums of people who went through multiple shafts due to them being out of tolerance.

The dealership is getting back into it on Monday. I have researched forums for this problem for about eight hours, and several people with an identical description of the problem have just accepted it, while others have found basic to obscure problems. One tech actually figured out that a small milling error caused a ring gear not to seat properly inside the differential.

So I was looking to see if anyone had experience with this problem and attempting to solve it with an aftermarket shaft.

ETA: My car came with 3.73 gears from the factory. When it is done this way without the track package, is it simply dropping in a new ring and pinion or do they put in the Torsen differential?

Last edited by farsidejunky; 2/20/15 at 05:31 PM.
Old 2/20/15, 08:27 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by farsidejunky
My thought process was the questionable quality of the shafts. I have read two instances on other forums of people who went through multiple shafts due to them being out of tolerance.

The dealership is getting back into it on Monday. I have researched forums for this problem for about eight hours, and several people with an identical description of the problem have just accepted it, while others have found basic to obscure problems. One tech actually figured out that a small milling error caused a ring gear not to seat properly inside the differential.

So I was looking to see if anyone had experience with this problem and attempting to solve it with an aftermarket shaft.

ETA: My car came with 3.73 gears from the factory. When it is done this way without the track package, is it simply dropping in a new ring and pinion or do they put in the Torsen differential?
It is unusual for the factory shaft to be defective.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...2/#post6898717
Old 5/3/16, 12:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I ordered the Steeda 3.5 Aluminum shaft, I'll keep you posted once I get it in the car.
The following users liked this post:
tj@steeda (5/3/16)