Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Add Paddle Shifters to 13/14 automatics

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/18, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update, my clockspring is not damaged. I guess I wasn't turning the wheel enough. It took about a 90 degree turn before it locked, which was more than it previously took.
Old 6/25/19, 05:01 PM

Anyone have an update or part number for the female pin connectors to use for the clock spring?
Anyone able to point me in the right direction of either the dense foam or plastic used to make the backing spacer? I have been thinking about boring out the metal to make it sit flush, but I would like to have my backup plan available for when the time comes to eliminate stress.

Most important question for those that have completed this is on the receiver transmitter, which one did you purchase and how did you have them programmed? I'm referring to the switches. I notice that there is instruction for dodge/chrystler; however, nothing for the ford side. I have a 2013 GT. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 6/26/19, 12:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
I just went to a craft store to get my foam backing.

As for the pins, An electronics repair shop can help with that. Show them a picture of one of the other pins in the connector and hopefully they can match it.

As for programming, there isn't anything to do, but you should contact Tim Stone directly with questions about his product.
Old 6/27/19, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by jim010

As for the pins, An electronics repair shop can help with that. Show them a picture of one of the other pins in the connector and hopefully they can match it.

As for programming, there isn't anything to do, but you should contact Tim Stone directly with questions about his product.
Ok, I figured I would share what I ended up getting back. He stated this....

" I just know it uses the same module as the 2005-07 lx cars. " So, basically, I'll follow everything for that one.

As for the foam, I have looked, but I didn't see anything really and the people working there weren't of much help.
Old 8/18/19, 10:52 AM

Ok, I have a quick question. I need some verification on the wires for the receiver. The red 12v goes to the factory harness on the column correct? Then the other three have to be extended to reach the shifter wires correct?
Old 8/19/19, 06:12 AM

Nevermind, I figured it out once I got in there. Works like a charm. Speed is about like any other select shift vehicle. Nice mod.
Old 8/19/19, 08:10 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
wonder if this would work on a 07... haha
Old 8/19/19, 09:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Unfortunately no. The PCM does not have programming for this in the 05 - 09 cars.
The following users liked this post:
VGMStudios (8/19/19)
Old 8/23/19, 03:32 PM

What an AWESOME project. Did this to an '08 MB CLK550 but was much easier. Just bought a used steering wheel with paddles from a CLS, changed the clock spring and had the dealership recode the car for paddle shifters. Loved them.

Now that I have come back from the Dark Side I want to add the paddle shifters to my '14 GT/CS. I already have the MB paddle shifters as I took the CLS steering wheel off the CLK before I sold it.

Here is my question: Could the clock spring wires for the radio volume control or the radio mode control be used to hard wire the paddles, either for control or power? I never use either of those steering wheel controls, especially the one that changes from FM to AM to CD etc. I am just used to adjusting the radio using the controls on the radio, not the steering wheel.

I am not trying to make things more complicated, actually easier. If this is possible it would negate the use of the transmitter and provide a hard connection.

Let me know what ya'll think about this.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10/23/19, 09:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes, if you disconnected the wires for the left or right side switches, then you can certainly just directly wire the paddles.

I just assume that most want to keep all functionality of thier buttons. The tranmitter really is trouble free, though. I have had no issues at all. I did once, but it was a battery issue that messed up all my electronics.
Old 10/29/19, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bracer
Here is my question: Could the clock spring wires for the radio volume control or the radio mode control be used to hard wire the paddles, either for control or power? I never use either of those steering wheel controls, especially the one that changes from FM to AM to CD etc. I am just used to adjusting the radio using the controls on the radio, not the steering wheel.
Yes, if you disconnected the wires for the left or right side switches, then you can certainly just directly wire the paddles.
Ugh, that is huge news. I have been avoiding this mod because I would prefer to not deal with wireless transmitter & replacing batteries. This is great news
Old 11/4/19, 11:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by J. Dub
Ugh, that is huge news. I have been avoiding this mod because I would prefer to not deal with wireless transmitter & replacing batteries. This is great news
There are no batteries in this mod. The transmitter and receiver both are powered. If you go back into this thread and look at the instructions, you'll see that I have the transmitter powered.
J. Dub (12/15/19)
Old 11/28/19, 11:11 AM

Wiring issues

For some strange reason I can get any power from the open slot on the clockspring of my 14’ 5.0. I found a connector for the .64mm scale connector series but it just won’t read any voltage. Any solutions would be great. Also I tried tying into one of the bottoms from the steering wheel and found one that has only 5v constant to it. Will this work for the transmitter or does it have to be 12v?
Old 6/9/20, 07:12 AM

Thanks Jim, good write-up. Very clear and precise. I did it and it works flawlessly.

Keep in mind that the 3 or 5 mm neoprene or rubber is MANDATORY to get sufficiant space to let your hands grip your steering properly.

Thanks again Jim,

Stephan
Old 6/9/20, 07:16 AM

Do you have the drawing of your spacer? In order to cut the neoprene shims. Thanks.
Old 6/9/20, 10:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I don't sorry. But I used the paddle to make a pattern and just kept adjusting and cutting new ones until I had the shape I needed. And yes, use a nice stiff foam that is 5 mm thick to work best.

Last edited by jim010; 6/9/20 at 10:20 AM.
350winder (6/12/20)
Old 11/30/20, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Contact Info

Hi all, I am interested in starting this mod, but am having a hard time connecting with the company (or person) that makes the wireless module. Does anyone have a contact number? All I can find is the email on the website, but I have not gotten a response. I've tried at least a couple of times, over the last few weeks...

Thanks for any help! - Lee
Old 11/30/20, 06:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Unfortunately, that is the only way I know of getting a hold of him.

However, there is another way to do this that does not involve a transmitter. Check the link below:

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...spring-547944/
Old 2/13/21, 02:42 PM

The only place that would have constant power is the horn, I think. Not a good place to take power from.
Hi Jim; As others have said, GREAT JOB on the Paddle Shifter Install write up. I am just about to start this install on my 2014 GT/CS.

I do have one question. Why not use the power supply to the horn? Is it not 12V ? I am guessing there is a relay in the horn circuit somewhere, is it because of that ? I am not questioning your decision to create a new constant power source through the clock spring. I just don't know enough about automotive electrical systems to understand why you could (would) not use the horn power supply.

Any light you could shed on this would be appreciated.

Fred

EDIT: I looked on another site and found my answer, something that I guess Jim already knew. The power wire to the horn is a different kind of animal. When you press the horn it provides a ground from power running through a relay. The relay is the issue. With other devices on this circuit it can hold the relay open and your horn will sound continuously. So a Jim says, not a good place to take power. Much better to add pins to the corresponding locations on either end of the clock spring connectors and then run that to power, and you can splice the receiver into this as well so both the transmitter in the wheel and the receiver in the steering column are powered from the same source.

Last edited by Bracer; 2/28/21 at 12:32 PM.
Old 3/22/21, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by MadeULook
Hi all, I am interested in starting this mod, but am having a hard time connecting with the company (or person) that makes the wireless module. Does anyone have a contact number? All I can find is the email on the website, but I have not gotten a response. I've tried at least a couple of times, over the last few weeks...

Thanks for any help! - Lee

I received the following email from Tim:Dear All,

You are receiving this email because you have either inquired about or purchased a wireless paddle shift kit from me during 2020.

Due to high level of interest I’ve decided to execute another production run of the wireless paddle modules.

The cost for the kit is $225 USD. Shipping is included in the USA only. If you are overseas you will need to select a shipping method and assume responsibility of lost shipment / and cost for Insurance if you require it.

I accept payment via PayPal only. (PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY PAYMENT UNTIL WE HAVE THE ORDER SPECIFICS FINALIZED)

If you are still interested, or know of someone who might be interested, please contact me with the following information.
  1. Year and Model Car
  2. Indicate if shipping is in USA or international.
  3. If shipping international please indicate
    1. Shipping method (USPS International (least expensive), UPS, FEDEX, DHL).
    2. Provide full mailing address
    3. Provide contact phone number (*often required)
    4. Preference on insurance or not.
Please understand that shipping international takes my personal time and effort to execute. Please do not inquire to ship overseas unless you are serious about placing an order. I will do my best to work with you but also appreciate any help in the process.

All orders will be filled on a first come, first serve basis… I do not advertise so most all inquires are from word of mouth recommendations. For that I thank all of you for your interest and support.

I like to close by saying that 2020 was a difficult year in many ways for all of us. I do hope this email finds you and your loved ones healthy and well. Let’s pray that 2021 will be a better year for everyone.

Best Regards, Tim
TRStone_00@hotmail.com

Quick Reply: Add Paddle Shifters to 13/14 automatics