Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2011 Twin Turbo Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/12, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dealer here is also a roush dealer. They've told me that if i do the Roush install with them they would honor the cars warranty , including powertrain. BUT I would read the Roush warranty and get something in writting just in case.
Old 1/16/12, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey guys, I went ahead and created a site to get all the info on the car in one place. Site is up and has most of the current info and pics. If you guys could check it out and let me know if it all looks ok, that would be great.

http://www.twinturbo50.com
Old 1/16/12, 10:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good Ken!
Old 1/16/12, 11:23 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by KenB
Hey guys, I went ahead and created a site to get all the info on the car in one place. Site is up and has most of the current info and pics. If you guys could check it out and let me know if it all looks ok, that would be great.

http://www.twinturbo50.com
Nice site... please keep this updated so I can keep track

I am still curious as to how much this whole package is... and is it a bolt on? I would like to compare this (in terms of cost/performance/etc) to Ford's 550hp whipple kit (which is the route I am looking at now, but is subject to change ).

Last edited by FromZto5; 1/16/12 at 11:25 AM.
Old 1/24/12, 08:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Nice site... please keep this updated so I can keep track

I am still curious as to how much this whole package is... and is it a bolt on? I would like to compare this (in terms of cost/performance/etc) to Ford's 550hp whipple kit (which is the route I am looking at now, but is subject to change ).
Thanks guys! We won't have pricing until probably middle of this year but I think you should wait for that to make up your mind.

I'll be putting an update up later tonight.
Old 1/24/12, 10:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Looking forward to hearing pricing, I'm wanting to eventually go twin turbo but trying to decide how I will set it up. Looking at either your setup or the squires remote mounted twin turbo setup. Both of them look amazing.
Old 1/24/12, 01:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FCMalie
Looking forward to hearing pricing, I'm wanting to eventually go twin turbo but trying to decide how I will set it up. Looking at either your setup or the squires remote mounted twin turbo setup. Both of them look amazing.

I don't normally comment on competitor's products and really, I won't here. But I will say in general I'm not a fan of remote mount systems, especially for the 5.0 engine. It's Ford best engineering effort yet and it deserves a kit that will give ultimate performance.

I would gather that any remote mount company will tell you the benefit of their system is ease of install etc. But if pressed, they will most likely tell you that it's not a top performer.
Old 1/24/12, 07:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Got the intercooler and cold side finalized today. Moved the MAF down to the outlet of the intercooler in 3.5" tubing. It also allowed us to clean up the engine bay and make the baddest looking engine bay even better. Here are some pics.

This setup will now be taken off this car and installed on Joe Coffeeman's Procharged car. We have a track rental this Sunday and it will provide a good back to back test on this setup.
Old 1/25/12, 07:16 AM
Cobra Member

awesome.. when i win the lottery one day, ill want to do this!!!
Old 2/10/12, 05:26 AM
Bullitt Member

UPDATE!

I have some very interesting stuff to share with you guys this time. As you know, Michael from L&M Engines is handling the build for the Twin Turbo 5.0 project. I'm sure many of you know about L&M as a great builder, but many might not know the background of the owner, Michael Rauscher. Michael is one of very few people left in the country that actually designs camshafts.

I don't mean, coming up with specs (lift, duration etc). I'm talking about TRULY designing lobe profiles that are his own. Michael has been doing this stuff longer than most and has such an extensive history that I don't want to even try and explain it from memory, but take my word for it, he's at the top of the class.

When we decided to build a 5.0 with custom cams for the twin turbos, we were more than excited because of all the possibilities. Our excitement was quickly reeled in when we found out there are NO left intake cam cores in the country and it would be awhile before they were available.

Michael took it upon himself to come up with a solution to ensure the TT car can make NMRA Bradenton with the exact setup he envisioned.

Working in conjunction with Comp Cams, Michael had the left intake cam profile ground on an exhaust core. From there, it was up to Michael to make the changes to get it to work. Not only did the snout of the camshaft have to be modified, but probably an even bigger problem was the reluctor on the back of the camshaft. Factory cams have a press on reluctor but Comp machines these into the core as one solid piece. So Michael machined their reluctor off, and after a tremendous amount of work was able to get the stock reluctor onto this camshaft with near perfect accuracy. He had to have some fixtures made to pull this off and did this all on his own to make sure we were taken care of. Now that is some amazing service.

Here is what Michael would like to say
I would like to thank the folks at Comp Sales and Engineering for listening
to me and ginding my design files, particularly the odd request to grind my
intake profile on an exhaust cam.
With their acceptance of my idea, L&M will be able to get this engine down
to Florida, installed and at the Bradenton race March 1.
While he was at it, he also designed his own VCT limiters so we can retain as much movement as possible. We will still have 40 degrees movement in the exhaust and 35 on the intake.

Anyway, enough talking, here are some pics of the work getting done. Engine should be here next week.

And here are a few other pics he sent

Old 2/10/12, 08:51 AM
Cobra Member

I forsee alot of power in your future... whats your plans for actually planting this power down onthe pavment? gonna need some huge *** slicks..
Old 2/10/12, 09:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ShaneGT
I forsee alot of power in your future... whats your plans for actually planting this power down onthe pavment? gonna need some huge *** slicks..

Slicks? NEVER

It will only ever run at the track on drag radials. This isn't being built as a drag car. But it will be all the 5.0 drag cars anyway. lol

We will probably have 3 different wheel/tire combos for the car

RTR 19's which you see. RIght now it has Nitto Invo's on the back. Will swap those out to a wider tire once we have the RTRs widened.

We have 18" RTR Replicas with Hooiser tires all around for the Texas Mile

And Bogart D10s with skinnies at 275 MT DRs out back

I'll post pics of it in each trim level when we get them on the car.
Old 2/11/12, 05:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by nxcoupe
Wow, that looks sweet. Would be cool to see this kit on and engine out of the car. It's hard to fathom just where the piping runs from it. Very cool. Should be a popular kit.

When things get closer I will post pics like that, but can't show too much of our hand yet.

Engine is on the way! Here are a few pics from L&M

Old 2/11/12, 12:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Old 2/11/12, 01:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I have engine lust
Old 2/15/12, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by phiggs54
I have engine lust
I'm with you. Can't wait to get it fired up. LOTS going on and I will try and post some pics soon. Engine got here Monday, its all dressed and ready to go in. Jake is working on the fuel system also. Hopefully I'll have some pics up later today or tomorrow.
Old 2/16/12, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Im running a bit behind at updates because so much is happening. I'm sure you guys want to know what's going on with the car, I'll try and do some picture updates soon on that. But we are on target for Bradenton, working on the fuel system.

But I'm going to switch gears for the moment because I wanted to show you some very cool stuff related to the production system. We really want to do this right but at the same time, that doesn't mean the kit has to be super expensive. The y pipe that connects the two turbos and also has the BOV mounted to it works flawlessly. But as you can see in the picture, there is a lot of welding involved. This is the prototype, it probably could be simplified to be a little easier to fabricate, but it will still be a time consuming piece to make. Plus, the more welding there is, the bigger chance you have for mistakes, cracks, or pipes that don't all come out the same. So we decided to take a different route and get this piece cast. It is a sizable investment up front, but it will keep the cost of the kit down and every pipe will be exactly the same.

I was lucky enough to find a guy to work with on this on another forum and it has been a great experience. His name is Garen Phillips and he works for DiamondP. I PM'd him and was super helpful from the get go on how it's all done. I talked to him about getting it cast through them and he said he could also take our design and redo it in Solidworks. I just sent him a picture with the measurements drawn on it because we only had one pipe and it was on the car.

Here is the current pipe:

He got it all done in a few days and sent me the model so we could compare it.

Here are some renderings:

Then the car came apart for upgrades so we sent him the pipe so he could double check it. Next step was to print it out which he did for us as well.

The pipe arrived today. The car is still going together so we haven't test fitted it yet, but it looks perfect. The BOV fits with not issues. (forgot a pic of that).

His his service has been top notch. I would recommend working with them if you have a project like this.

Best part?

Designed and Built in the

USA!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2/16/12, 06:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I bet this is going to be an expensive option when all is told!
Old 2/17/12, 12:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bigblue11
I bet this is going to be an expensive option when all is told!
Good design should cost more. You should expect it

Engine is getting dropped in today. here are some teaser pics of the hotside coating and the Boss intake set up with 205 lb/hr injectors.

Old 2/20/12, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

I've heard of the Boss intake having issues under high boost - any truth to that, in your opinion?

If so, any plans to do a sheet metal replacement?

Quick Reply: 2011 Twin Turbo Mustang GT