Notices
Sterling Gray Sterling Gray 2010+ Mustangs

SGM Convertible with Saddle wanting to stripe it up

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/14, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SGM Convertible with Saddle wanting to stripe it up

Title says it. I've been going around and around on if I will put stripes on it. Now I need some suggestions on what colors...

Since it has saddle interior, there are very limited colors that would work. In my opinion. How do you SGM owners think a Boss hood and rear stripe (no sides) would look in Matte? I was also thinking about a carbon fiber look. Or would that be to ricey?

I would love to do a GT500 stripe in that ruby red color but since I had saddle interior and also sporting the GT500 quad exhaust it may be too much.
Old 1/3/14, 11:31 AM
GT Member

<-- Here is my vote for stripe color. Had I gone with saddle gray for my interior (which I very nearly did--the salesman talked me out of it), I'm not sure I would have chosen a different color for my stripes, but maybe. I'm not sure which color would better compliment that interior. Maybe a muted burnt orange or a gold, which is a stripe color that I considered.

Matte might look good, but I deliberately avoided it because I didn't want to deal with having to be overly careful about how I wax my car. Carbon fiber would look amazing. I would do that in a second, and considered it too, but it's expensive vinyl.

Ruby red stripes would look cool too. I considered a darker red on my car, as well as dark blue stripes. It was almost a toss-up when I instead decided on my gloss black stripes. I polled my friends for their opinions, and got no consensus among them. In the end I decided that I wanted more of a stealthy look than a flashy look, though I kinda ended up going a bit flashy with my silver pinstripes anyway.

You have some good ideas, and in the end it's just about what catches your own eye best, since you're the one who has to look at your car every day, but it never hurts to get opinions. At least with vinyl stripes, if you don't like your choice, you can just peel them off and start over.
Old 1/3/14, 01:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I say a gloss metallic silver, just a couple shades lighter than SGM. It will be more of a ghost stripe, and blend nicely with the aluminum interior accents...
Old 1/3/14, 03:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
I am with Lothar, Gloss Black
Name:  20130713_143617_zpsc429fb99.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  148.5 KB
Old 1/3/14, 05:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Another vote for glass black - look here.
Old 1/4/14, 07:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by laserred38
I say a gloss metallic silver, just a couple shades lighter than SGM. It will be more of a ghost stripe, and blend nicely with the aluminum interior accents...
This sounds interesting. I would like to see it.
Old 1/4/14, 07:35 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Scott
This sounds interesting. I would like to see it.
Here's a visualizer tool where you can choose the Mustang color and stripe pattern that you want, and then create any customized color of stripes for it. It should give you a good idea about how some of these color ideas would look:

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/customizer/
Old 1/4/14, 07:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lothar
Here's a visualizer tool where you can choose the Mustang color and stripe pattern that you want, and then create any customized color of stripes for it. It should give you a good idea about how some of these color ideas would look:

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/customizer/
Man that gloss does look good!

That is a cool tool. Wish I could have an option to put the top down and insert saddle interior to get the full effect
Old 1/4/14, 12:33 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by woodzusa
Man that gloss does look good!

That is a cool tool. Wish I could have an option to put the top down and insert saddle interior to get the full effect
I know, that would be seriously helpful, to be able to put the top down on that tool, for people who want or have convertibles.

The only downsides to gloss black for the stripes are:

(1) The stripes on the back of the car tend to get visibly dusty very quickly when you drive on any dusty roads like I do. My roof and hood, not so much. My driveway is gravel, and I have to carry around a microfiber cloth to dust off the rear stripes of my car. Dust and dirt really shows up easily on gloss black.

(2) The gloss black vinyl that I used scratches very easily, so I have to be careful when I wipe them. Siber Express, I'd be curious to hear if you have that problem too. There are polishes made for vinyl though.

The gloss black really does look sharp though, when it's clean.
Old 1/4/14, 12:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by woodzusa
I was also thinking about a carbon fiber look. Or would that be to ricey?
You got me to thinking about the carbon fiber stripes, so I Googled for photos of it and was surprised by how few people seem to have done this. I did find this guy's--not sure if this is a bad photo, or a rendering:

http://i18.tinypic.com/4z9jasg.jpg

I don't care for the purple/blue borders, but the carbon fiber does look cool.

Here's a guy who did it on his Challenger:

https://id3452.securedata.net/superb...llsrt_hood.jpg

I'd really like to see photos of this from anybody who has done it on a sterling gray Mustang.
Old 1/4/14, 12:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Lothar
I know, that would be seriously helpful, to be able to put the top down on that tool, for people who want or have convertibles.

The only downsides to gloss black for the stripes are:

(1) The stripes on the back of the car tend to get visibly dusty very quickly when you drive on any dusty roads like I do. My roof and hood, not so much. My driveway is gravel, and I have to carry around a microfiber cloth to dust off the rear stripes of my car. Dust and dirt really shows up easily on gloss black.

(2) The gloss black vinyl that I used scratches very easily, so I have to be careful when I wipe them. Siber Express, I'd be curious to hear if you have that problem too. There are polishes made for vinyl though.

The gloss black really does look sharp though, when it's clean.
Yes They do scratch rather easy, mine are waxed now and the dust problem although not gone, is not as bad. I have a gravel drive at both work and home so the California Duster does get a workout.
Also my 2010 Grabber Blue with White over the top stripes was just as bad as a dirt magnet.
Old 1/4/14, 12:51 PM
GT Member

One other comment about carbon fiber: it's a very subtle color contrast against sterling gray. If you look at the photos of my car, in my photo album on my profile, you'll see the carbon fiber hood vents that I have. They just look like body color in the photos, but the contrast is somewhat more apparent in person, in sunlight. Gloss black is a much sharper contrast, to my eye.
Old 1/4/14, 12:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
Yes They do scratch rather easy, mine are waxed now and the dust problem although not gone, is not as bad. I have a gravel drive at both work and home so the California Duster does get a workout.
Also my 2010 Grabber Blue with White over the top stripes was just as bad as a dirt magnet.
Okay it seems like it's not just my brand of vinyl then (Oracal), thanks Siber.

I wax mine too, with Turtle Wax Ice--which I like because it leaves no white residue that catches on the edges of the vinyl.

I can't drive to the end of my driveway though on a dry day without my rear stripes getting dusty. I have a California Duster too, but stopped using it when I read somebody post about how they are notorious for creating swirl marks. I have no idea if that's true, but I do notice that my taillight lenses are noticeably scuffed, and am not sure if the duster did that. So I just keep a soft microfiber cloth in my glove box, and wipe it down at the end of my driveway, before I hit the pavement. It's a bit of a pain, but the car does look really good once I get past my driveway.
Old 1/4/14, 01:05 PM
GT Member

Siber Express, I've twice now, over the past few months since I striped my Mustang, passed another guy who lives in my town, who has the same dual gloss black on sterling gray Mustang that you and I have (though without my silver pinstripes). So I'm thinking this combo must be more common than I realized. Have you ever seen it before in person?

Each time, it was on my street, in almost the exact same spot, so I'm guessing he lives in my neighborhood. I keep raising my arm out the window and giving him the "hang loose" hand signal when I pass him, and he flashed his taillights wildly in response the first time, but unfortunately we were heading in opposite directions both times, or I'd have followed him and said hi, doing my best to seem non-stalker-ish.
Old 1/4/14, 02:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have seen 2 that are close to mine, both 10 or 11 M/Y and both have Matte on theirs, and the 1 other I see is has Matte OTT Strips from Ford, I actually saw it at the Dealer when I was looking for my 2010.
Old 1/4/14, 03:17 PM
GT Member

I have seen 2 that are close to mine, both 10 or 11 M/Y and both have Matte on theirs, and the 1 other I see is has Matte OTT Strips from Ford, I actually saw it at the Dealer when I was looking for my 2010.
Interesting, it does seem to be a somewhat-popular combo then, Ken. I've often wondered how matte black stripes would look on my car, but I just love the reflections off of the gloss, and the blending of the sterling gray paint into the gloss stripes.

To me, matte stripes look like somebody took sandpaper to the car's finish, but that's a very subjective thing. Matte stripes do have advantages, to be sure, and I wouldn't fault anybody for going with them. I think matte-black stripes, on black paint, would be a cool combo.
Old 1/6/14, 11:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I had Flat Black/Matte on the hood of my old 72 Ranchero GT, I do know that with the old single stage paint it was only a couple of years and I was having it redone, you would not think it would fade as fast as it did. Might have been the Colorado altitude though. Finally just did Gloss black and never looked back on it. Ever since I have not been a big fan of Matte stripes in any color on my cars. It does look good on others though
Old 1/6/14, 12:23 PM
GT Member

I had Flat Black/Matte on the hood of my old 72 Ranchero GT, I do know that with the old single stage paint it was only a couple of years and I was having it redone, you would not think it would fade as fast as it did. Might have been the Colorado altitude though. Finally just did Gloss black and never looked back on it. Ever since I have not been a big fan of Matte stripes in any color on my cars. It does look good on others though
It never even occurred to me that paint and vinyl would weather more quickly at high altitude, but that sure makes sense, given the more intense UV exposure.