Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

What is the difference between a GT Coupe vs GT Vert suspension?

Old 7/22/15, 07:45 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the difference between a GT Coupe vs GT Vert suspension?

Steeda was kind enough to put together a package quote for my '14 GT Convertible (Automatic with Brembo package). Still, I 'd like to comparison shop. All I'm finding is Coupe packages from FRPP and AM.

I used to have a '14 V6 Coupe with the FRPP M-FR3-MV6A package plus an adjustable panhard bar. It was a firm ride but handled great. I love the GT's more supple ride, but it corners like a boat and dives like a submarine compared to the V6 Coupe .

What is the difference between the GT Coupe and Convertible? (other than the soft top )

PS: I don't have unrealistic expectations. I assume the torsional rigidity of the coupe is much better than the convertible's so it more than likely not will not corner as well. I just want to know what OEM suspension bits are different.

Last edited by ustabawannab; 7/23/15 at 12:23 AM.
Old 8/4/15, 06:14 AM
GT Member

Nobody?
Old 8/4/15, 07:14 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I believe convertibles have different springs, plus additional braces underneath to stiffen up things due to the lack of a fixed roof. I'm sure there may be other differences as well.
Old 8/5/15, 12:05 PM
V6 Member

Convertibles do have different springs and additional bracing for sure. I don't know about the struts and shocks. I lowered mine 3-4 years ago with Steeda Sports and Koni STR.T. Never liked the ride and looking to change again. Will go with Steeda Sports for convertible (did not make them when I did mine) but am undecided on struts/shocks. Too bad there is not more info from convertible owners who changed from stock.
Old 8/5/15, 06:11 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
I have a 2013 GT vert. when i first did my suspension i went with the eibach pro kit. unfortunately i did not like the ride after a while. Also, there was no rake at all. the extra weight in the back of the vertible compressed the springs a bit more.

A while later i went with the Ground Control fully adjustable suspension system, because i knew i was going to playing with other variables and i did not want to have to buy new suspension again. The GC system uses eibach and koni adjustable components for around 1700 i think. I bought the kit from Hypermotive.

Old 8/5/15, 08:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Convertibles do have different springs and additional bracing for sure. I don't know about the struts and shocks. I lowered mine 3-4 years ago with Steeda Sports and Koni STR.T. Never liked the ride and looking to change again. Will go with Steeda Sports for convertible (did not make them when I did mine) but am undecided on struts/shocks. Too bad there is not more info from convertible owners who changed from stock.
Pair the sports with the Pro Action shocks & struts ... you will be pleased:

I installed these springs in my driveway and the installation was pretty straight forward. The drop my car got was perfect. The ride quality these springs give for a lowered vehicle is outstanding, well worth the price!! Happy customer!!!!
- See more at: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang....tNW6JEB0.dpuf
Let me know when you are ready ... I can have my team put a similar package together for you!!

Best Regards,

TJ