Notices
Sterling Gray Sterling Gray 2010+ Mustangs

Lothar's black-striped 2014 GT Premium

Old 9/18/13, 02:41 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lothar's black-striped 2014 GT Premium

Here it is, just after I had the stripes installed a few days ago. Thanks to everyone for the pics of their own black stripes from my recent thread, which helped me to visualize the project, and especially to MJJ for being my inspiration for the pinstripes...
Attached Images      
Old 9/18/13, 07:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
Looks Awesome
Old 9/18/13, 07:28 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,198 Posts
Not too crazy about the side stripe, but the other stripes look killer!
Old 9/18/13, 07:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
Not too crazy about the side stripe, but the other stripes look killer!
Agreed! The top stripes are perfect! Leave the sides clean of any decals
Old 9/18/13, 09:09 PM
V6 Member

looks good...but I don't care for the pinstripes - seems to make it a little too busy.

Also I think it would look better if there wasn't a gap between the side decal and the front of the side scoop.
Old 9/18/13, 09:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love the pinstripe, ties the car into the wheels really well. But also not a fan of side stripes, at least this shape. Rocker stripes to match hood would work.
Old 9/19/13, 08:14 AM
GT Member

Thanks for the opinions, guys!

I think the side stripes are there to stay, but I appreciate the observations either way. I actually did originally have it in my original design to directly attach the side stripes to the side scoops, but when I photoshopped it onto a photo of my car before I had the work done, it just looked odd to me--it made it look like the side scoops were just a decal, from a distance, and the shape also didn't look right. It looked a lot better to my eyes once I separated it with the gap.

I also considered no side stripe at all, but the black side scoops looked really out of place on my car (I drove around like that for a while before I got the stripes) without something on the door to tie into it. Without the door stripe, I think I'd rather just have body color side scoops, or none at all.

I've gotten a couple of suggestions to add rocker panel stripes--actually spanning that entire length of the bottom-most edge of the car, from wheel well to wheel well, and I am debating how that would look. One person suggested even continuing in back past the rear wheel well, onto the rear bumper. Any other opinions on that idea would be welcome.

I'm also debating tinting at least the rear window, and possibly the side windows as well. I don't want to overly compromise my nighttime visibility though or give cops another reason to pull me over, so I'm undecided about that. Any opinions about how that would look on my car?
Old 10/8/13, 06:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Don't know how I missed this Lothar, Car is looking Good.
This is 20% in mine
Name:  Stripes008_zps611542e1.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  90.8 KB
Name:  Stripes007_zps9fc9fb70.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  94.8 KB
Name:  Stripes004_zps6f3094b9.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  118.1 KB
I have not been bothered yet here with it in Tennessee yet and it does not bother me to much driving, backing into a dark drive I will put the window down though.
Old 10/9/13, 04:53 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
Don't know how I missed this Lothar, Car is looking Good.
This is 20% in mine
Thanks man. I like your black louvers, your wheels, and the tint.

My Mustang looks a bit different than in the above photos now, since I've painted the door handles black and tinted the windows (not as dark as yours, I don't think).

I have not been bothered yet here with it in Tennessee yet and it does not bother me to much driving, backing into a dark drive I will put the window down though.
I've only driven mine once at night since I got the tint, but the only negative thing I've noticed is strange reflections off of the rear window defroster elements showing up in the tinting. I'm glad I got the backup camera now though--that thing works really well.
Old 10/9/13, 08:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know how I missed this Lothar, Car is looking Good. This is 20% in mine I have not been bothered yet here with it in Tennessee yet and it does not bother me to much driving, backing into a dark drive I will put the window down though.
why don't your stripes finish down the back?
Old 10/10/13, 03:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
why don't your stripes finish down the back?
They do now. That is what happens when you do it yourself and run out of time
Old 10/10/13, 05:05 AM
GT Member

Looks amazing! Love the silver outline. How wide are the stripes?
Old 10/10/13, 01:45 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by XEDES
Looks amazing! Love the silver outline. How wide are the stripes?
Thanks, Xedes. The black stripes are tapered to the same dimensions as the 2014 Shelby GT500 (varying from about 11" at the rear valence to just under 10" on the front fascia). The silver pinstripes are 0.25" wide, and the spacing between the black stripes is 1.5".

The taper really gives the hood of the car a nice shape illusion when you view it from far in front of the car.
Old 10/15/13, 05:35 PM
GT Member

I added another black stripe to the top of my door today. I kept looking at the lower stripe and thinking that it was incomplete. I also removed my door handles, spray-painted them black, then reinstalled them (a bear of a project, that was).

Here's a re-shoot of the photo from my OP, this time with the new stripe and handle added, and a bit of fall foliage.

I think I'm finally done now (famous last words).
Attached Thumbnails Lothar's black-striped 2014 GT Premium-img_1148_tw_smaller.jpg  
Old 10/15/13, 07:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Lothar
I added another black stripe to the top of my door today. I kept looking at the lower stripe and thinking that it was incomplete. I also removed my door handles, spray-painted them black, then reinstalled them (a bear of a project, that was).

Here's a re-shoot of the photo from my OP, this time with the new stripe and handle added, and a bit of fall foliage.

Never Done Lothar, never
Looks Good
Old 10/15/13, 08:00 PM
GT Member

Never Done Lothar, never
Looks Good
I know, Siber, I know... that's what I said when I did the last round of mods. This time, I am... not... serious, at all...

Thanks for the compliment.

Old 10/15/13, 08:01 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Here it is, just after I had the stripes installed a few days ago. Thanks to everyone for the pics of their own black stripes from my recent thread, which helped me to visualize the project, and especially to MJJ for being my inspiration for the pinstripes...
The dark with the contrasting pinstripes looks fricken amazing! Very cool. I prefer simpler side rocker stripes myself, but overall i think the car looks really good.
Old 10/15/13, 08:01 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts

actually from a distance i do like those side stripes.
Old 10/15/13, 08:11 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
The dark with the contrasting pinstripes looks fricken amazing! Very cool. I prefer simpler side rocker stripes myself, but overall i think the car looks really good.
Thanks Darren. Yeah, I really like the way the pinstripes turned out. Some people think they're too "busy" looking, and that's fine. I like them though.

If everybody had the same tastes in Mustangs, we'd all have school-bus-yellow 'Stangs with gotta-have-it-green stripes. Hmmm, not a bad idea, actually...
Old 10/16/13, 07:03 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,198 Posts
Great looking car!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lothar's black-striped 2014 GT Premium