Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

By racing in a vacuum, NASCAR's sphere of influence begins to wane.

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/08, 07:13 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
By racing in a vacuum, NASCAR's sphere of influence begins to wane.

Nice article . . . portion/link below.

http://www.autoextremist.com/fumes1/

But by far the biggest factor right now for these manufacturers in crafting the future direction of their motorsports programs? It is how to make their racing endeavors relevant to the kind of research and development efforts going on within their respective companies. And this is where the wheels come off the traditional argument that pushes for a continuation of a racing program that's heavily skewed to NASCAR, because it is well known that in terms of the technology used, NASCAR is the direct opposite of "relevant" motorsport, and it's becoming harder and harder for motorsports managers in Detroit to justify focusing their efforts there. And it's even harder still for manufacturer marketing honchos to approve grossly inflated NASCAR budgets when the reality of the situation is that "NASCAR Nation" is contracting at a prodigious rate.

And now, because of all of these factors there's a growing chorus in the corridors of the Detroit manufacturers that revolves around the word "Why?" As in why are we involved? And to go along with that, the next question inevitably becomes: If we are going to be involved, how is NASCAR relevant to the overall direction of our engineering philosophy and our R&D resource allocation?

Today, as manufacturers grapple with developing overall vehicle operating efficiency, advanced powertrain technologies and aerodynamic advancements for their future product programs in an economic environment that's fraught with peril, the concept of racing in a vacuum - which describes NASCAR's "yester-tech" brand of racing to a "T" - couldn't be more irrelevant and out of touch.

Which is why in the next 18-24 months, you're going to see two of the three Detroit manufacturers start to officially (and unofficially) "redistribute" their racing budgets away from NASCAR and into racing programs that have a direct connection to the R&D they're conducting right now. And yes, one of those two manufacturers could very well decide that pulling out of NASCAR altogether is a viable option.

What does this mean for racing?

It means that "relevant" racing programs like the American Le Mans Series - and particularly the next-generation "EVO" rules package slated to begin in 2010 at the 24 Hours of Le Mans (which will replace the current LMP1 class as the top classification) - will become a crucial component for global automobile manufacturers' motorsport programs going forward. As a matter of fact, with its rules package refocused around overall efficiency (while embracing alternative fuels and technologies), Le Mans is shaping up to be the preeminent battleground for the world's manufacturers beginning in 2010, with at least seven manufacturers now actively engaged in developing cars to run under the "EVO" classification for the overall win.

And where does all of this leave NASCAR?

It leaves NASCAR in search of a future direction, which is more than a little problematic considering Brian France and his brain trust have demonstrated convincingly and repeatedly that forward thinking isn't one of their strong suits. As a matter of fact, it isn't even one of the arrows in their quiver to put a finer point on it.

As an alarming erosion of their manufacturer support begins to gain momentum in the boardrooms of the auto manufacturers, and their automatic "buy-in" by corporate America begins to wane, and in lieu of actually coming up with a new vision for their series, NASCAR is faced with the very real possibility that it will be a one manufacturer series (guess who?) by 2011.

But then again, as long as somebody continues to foot the bill for the France family circus, being irrelevant and out of touch won't matter to them one bit. It certainly hasn't mattered up to this point at any rate.

And besides, I'm sure that the idea of a "Toyota Cup" suits them just fine.
Old 4/16/08, 07:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Nascar quit being stock car racing a long time ago in my opinion, and the famous phrase win on sunday sale on monday hasn't meant a thing for a while now. Other than for advertising, I certainly don't see the benifits of American auto companies putting up the dough to be involved. (let me know if there is one)

As far as me watching it anymore. Well there car of tomorrow bored me yesterday.

I like watching cars race that at least look like something I could buy of the lot.
Old 4/16/08, 12:52 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
^+1, there's nothing stock about them. There are all the same, same body, little difference in the noses, same basic engine, same fuel, same everything. Ford is more of a sponsor than a manufacturer. Back in the old days, they actually bought the car from the manufacturer, now they just use their decals, and build the cars in shop. I'd rather see Ford work on a series like the Speed GT, or American Le Mans, etc.
Old 4/16/08, 07:14 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I quit watching NASCAR several years ago. COT is putting the nails in their coffin.
I too would much rather see Ford in ALMS than NASCAR.
Old 4/16/08, 07:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

I agree, screw NASCAR and their Car of the Future B.S. The races have nothing to do anymore with the cars, it is all about the drivers. Nobody asks anymore "who won the race yesterday" wanting to know what car won. They want to know what driver won, it doesn't matter what car or manufacturer anymore.

The drivers may as well be driving a bunch of Prius' around the track, it would have the same effect for me...meaning none.
Old 4/19/08, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nascar "stock cars" have been tube-frame replicas since the mid '60s. But up until 10-15 years ago, at least the cars had a strong visual connection to their street car counterparts. I just don't see the manufacturers being relevant anymore with the COT.

And the "Chase for the whatever", to me takes away from the sport in the attempt to spice up the "show". Is Nascar still even a sport, or is it "sports entertainment" ala WWE? I don't think that it's completely scripted yet, but there sure is a lot of "competition management" going on. Maybe it is headed in that direction.

Still, despite recent gains in both open wheel and sports cars, and some backsliding in popularity by Nascar, they remain the 800 lb gorilla in American motorsport, and I don't see that changing anytime soon, even if they do end up all driving identical cars.
Old 4/20/08, 06:38 AM
V6 Member

"...NASCAR Nation contracting at a prodigious rate"? Well, I don't think I'd go as far as that. They'll likely remain the 800 lb Gorilla in American motorsports for some time. Or let me modify that statement a bit: the premise of that article may be on the money--from the aspect of manufacturer support. But as far as fan support, i.e. getting butts in the bleachers and merchandising, they don't seem to be hurting.

"...And where does this leave NASCAR? It leaves NASCAR in search of a future direction..." Oh, ISC has a direction alright: it's to the southwest, and to the northeast, respectively. IIRC, I read before that there were plans to try to get approval for construction of a track facility somewhere near/in NYC metro area. Note: those parades down Times Square every year are just another effort to get some exposure with them yankees and maybe gain some familiarity. They also want to increase their brand awareness and popularity in a big way in Latino markets. Simple economics, really--I think it's supposed to be the fastest-growing segment of the population in the southwest. Note: they've been strongly supporting/promoting the race in Mexico for the past few years; AFAIK, auto racing is very popular in Mexico, so why NOT try to get your product in the faces of all those motorsport fans?

So I guess it begs the question: can NASCAR--or any sanctioning body for that matter--operate and thrive based solely on revenues from fans and sponsors, forsaking "official" manufacturer support?

I imagine sponsorship dollars coming in must increase proportionately to offset whatever's lost from lack of manufacturer participation [you can only increase the cost to fans so much before they scream bloody murder and go somewhere else]. Oh Lord imagine that: race teams/drivers even MORE beholden to their sponsors than they already are. Kinda makes me feel sorry for the drivers, whenever I see them on TV in their clown--er, I mean driver's suits, hocking whatever wares are plastered on the side of their cars that given week. Makes me think of that scene from Zoolander..."okay, you're a monkey now! Dance monkey, dance!"

Last edited by reddsun1; 4/20/08 at 06:39 AM.
Old 4/20/08, 08:57 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Maybe the fact that all cars are the same is a good thing?

Back when cars where actually stock there were races when leader would be many laps in front of everyone else. Ned Jarrett won one race by being 14 laps ahead of 2nd place car.
Who would wanna watch a race like that?

That's why I quit watching Formula 1, because only McLaren Mercedes and Ferrari can win, nobody else. And guy who usually qualify well wins a race. Last year F1 at Indianapolis was the most boring race I saw in my life. Lewis Hamilton qualified first, led the entire race and won easily. How boring is that?

Some people call NASCAR boring, but I like to watch races where a winner is not known until the last lap. And I don't think anyone else offers that like NASCAR.

Last edited by Zastava_101; 4/20/08 at 08:59 PM.
Old 4/20/08, 10:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Star
Maybe the fact that all cars are the same is a good thing?

Back when cars where actually stock there were races when leader would be many laps in front of everyone else. Ned Jarrett won one race by being 14 laps ahead of 2nd place car.
Who would wanna watch a race like that?

That's why I quit watching Formula 1, because only McLaren Mercedes and Ferrari can win, nobody else. And guy who usually qualify well wins a race. Last year F1 at Indianapolis was the most boring race I saw in my life. Lewis Hamilton qualified first, led the entire race and won easily. How boring is that?

Some people call NASCAR boring, but I like to watch races where a winner is not known until the last lap. And I don't think anyone else offers that like NASCAR.
I think in some ways, what you're saying is the logical counterpoint from the fan perspective to the manufacturer perspective, and evidences the balance that must be struck. The sanctioning body of any race structure can only impose uniformity to a certain degree before there is no ingenuity, no room for manufacturer development of new ideas and concepts and place to implement them. On the other hand, if you don't reign it in enough, you get a season blowout, which has been seen over and over in motorsports. From a fan perspective, do you want to watch a race, a real race, or do you just want to see Ford kick the crap out of Chevy without it even being a real contest...[edit. on further note, I actually would like to see that.. lol]

I think the direction that the American LeMans series is heading is a good thing, new development is always good. It'll be high dollar enough that obviously many manufacturers will be attracted to it, and just uniform enough that there will be some great racing. I'm really enjoying the Koni challenge series right now for that reason, and it's usually why I like watching WRC.

One other wrinkle about stock car racing in it's heyday (i.e. when no one knew about it), or to some extent some of the older CanAm and Trans Am series, they were low buck enough that even a dedicated regular race team with some money and drive could actually figure some stuff out to make a difference and occasionally embarrass a manufacturer. Some sport bike teams can still do that. I think any series that can promote new ideas, no matter where they come from, can only benefit all of us.

I completely agree with everybody that the COT was a mistake, and puts NASCAR one step closer to "who cares?" I think NASCAR is attracting drivers right now purely for the money and recognition, but I don't think it has a very long future that way. It's too far in the other direction away from the manufacturers, and keeps making it more and more likely that there will be less and less factory supported race teams as manufacturers have less and less of a role. Which makes it boring.

I say that if you give another race series some recognition that better satisfies all involved (which I think that Am. Lemans and Koni is doing right now), you'll start to see a shift in fan base.

As a last point, we do all owe NASCAR one thing though IMO. Before Nascar, no other auto racing series ever got this level of media coverage and cultural recognition. I think we all owe NASCAR a big thanks for making motorsports more relevant to the American Culture in general, thus making it seem far more viable to automakers to make the kinds of cars we all like to see for us... Sorry for the rant!

Last edited by Mackitraz; 4/20/08 at 10:23 PM.
Old 4/21/08, 05:24 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by reddsun1
"...NASCAR Nation contracting at a prodigious rate"? Well, I don't think I'd go as far as that.
What about the sagging TV ratings and empty seats at most of the races?