Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

I love NASCAR!

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/12, 12:38 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
The drivers are a bunch of prima donna's for sure, but teams that do 3.5 - 4.5 second pits for tire changes... plus hardcore passing on left AND right corners, plus state of the art handling engineering with high revving small block V8's... that's top shelf viewing!

Hell the last time I watched a circle track pit stop, I went and grabbed a beer and when I came back they were still in the pit fussing with tires.
That's not a comparison that can made by any stretch of the imagination. I don't know the official rules on the number, but F1 looks to have 20 or more people over the wall working on the stop at a time. Heck, they've got 4 tire changers and 8 tire carriers.

Compared to NASCAR which has 6 people, working with 1 floor jack, 2 air wrenches with 5 lugs on each wheel, and 2 gravity fed gas cans, 12.5 -13 seconds is pretty damned impressive.
Old 5/23/12, 12:55 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
That's not a comparison that can made by any stretch of the imagination.
I'll stretch my imagination any way I please thank you. lol

Old 5/23/12, 01:12 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I wasn't aware anybody passed anyone in F1.
Old 5/23/12, 01:36 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anyone watch the top gear on NASCAR vs F1?
Old 5/23/12, 01:51 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by ShadowFox
Did anyone watch the top gear on NASCAR vs F1?
No, but I'm sure it was completely unbiased.
Old 5/23/12, 01:53 AM
GT Member

They put Hammond in the stock cars. He drove an f1-like car before awhile ago too.
Old 5/23/12, 02:23 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I wasn't aware anybody passed anyone in F1.
You must have blinked.

A lot of times its in the middle of the pack. A few races back there were like 12 in a pack that kept passing each other for several laps. Singapore I think.

Then there's the DSR for the long straight. Its amazing how opening the wing makes such a difference.
Old 5/23/12, 03:01 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...00/bring-it-on
Old 5/23/12, 04:39 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Much harder to "compare" drivers of today (against each other) when they do not freely race in other series concurrently throughout their respective careers. (Which is for a number of reasons, but mostly financial and contractual.) Mario, AJ, Gurney, etc. all raced in different series/types of cars. The same can't be stated for Jeff Gordon, Schumacher, Senna, J.J., etc. (And many drivers in the past also didn't race numerous series.) So comparing a one-day exhibition of trading cars doesn't make sense.

It would be great to see drivers today switch series/cars but it isn't going to happen for the top tier drivers (outside of some participating in the Rolex 24 and/or Le Mans.) Most wait until their career is finished i.e., Waltrip racing Ferrari's in Rolex and ALMS, Jacques racing in NASCAR NAtionwide, etc.
Old 5/23/12, 05:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Much harder to "compare" drivers of today (against each other) when they do not freely race in other series concurrently throughout their respective careers. (Which is for a number of reasons, but mostly financial and contractual.) Mario, AJ, Gurney, etc. all raced in different series/types of cars. The same can't be stated for Jeff Gordon, Schumacher, Senna, J.J., etc. (And many drivers in the past also didn't race numerous series.) So comparing a one-day exhibition of trading cars doesn't make sense.

It would be great to see drivers today switch series/cars but it isn't going to happen for the top tier drivers (outside of some participating in the Rolex 24 and/or Le Mans.) Most wait until their career is finished i.e., Waltrip racing Ferrari's in Rolex and ALMS, Jacques racing in NASCAR NAtionwide, etc.
I agree with you all the way, there really arent anymore drivers who do it all! I never once said that gordon was better than schumacher, all i was clearly stating was that imo, it looks harder to adapt to a stock car, than adapting to a f-1 car. Now as far as arguing wich sport is better, thats like comparing the looks of a mustang to a camaro! Theres no right or wrong answer here. Some like to compare apples and oranges tho like gordons lap times in an f-1 car, basically messing around and getting a feel for the car vs montoyas time in a F-1 car qualifying for a race. Its not fair to say gordon would dominate if he got into f-1 racing, but imo i think he could succeed because the talent he has!
Old 5/23/12, 06:47 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
------------------
You don't like it, you don't have to watch it. Stop complaining so much, and let others have their opinion. I don't write smack about open wheel (Indy & F1), why don't you do the same?
Actually, I love NASCAR and I'm not a fan of open wheel racing, I rarely watch Indy and F1.

I just think it's ridiculous to say that NASCAR drivers can adapt to open wheels racing ... considering the fact that none of NASCAR's regular drivers were ever as successful in any type of open wheels racing.
Old 5/23/12, 08:12 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah it looks like a piece of cake!
I love NASCAR!-ferrari_f2012-21.jpg
Old 5/23/12, 08:19 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Synyster_Vengeance
Actually, I love NASCAR and I'm not a fan of open wheel racing, I rarely watch Indy and F1.
I'll watch nascar when its on occasionally but I don't follow it like many here. Because I hate all the wrecks - esp the strategy to wreck somebody at the end to pull a flag just to win. They make a lap or two and wreck, wait 15 mins to clear the track. Let's get ready and go. They make a lap or two and wreck, wait 15 mins to clear the track. It's stupid!

I want to watch racing.

As for Indy, I watch for tradition. I DVR all the F1 races so I can just watch the race and not the glitz before and after.

JMO
Old 5/23/12, 08:41 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I'll start paying closer attention to F1 when winner is not decided after a turn 1 on lap 1 or even worse - after qualifying.
Old 5/23/12, 08:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ManInABox
Yeah it looks like a piece of cake!
Looks to me like racing skills arent really needed.... More like a college degree
Old 5/23/12, 08:55 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by sampey43
Looks to me like racing skills arent really needed.... More like a college degree
Nothing wrong with having both . . . worked for Alan Kulwicki.
Old 5/23/12, 09:09 AM
Cobra Member

Nothing wrong with having both . . . worked for Alan Kulwicki.
I was just messing around, i know you have to have skils to drive a f-1 car!! Thats pretty cool! My uncle has the #7 zerex car autographed by AK! So what did you do for alan kulwicki?
Old 5/23/12, 09:18 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by sampey43
I was just messing around, i know you have to have skils to drive a f-1 car!! Thats pretty cool! My uncle has the #7 zerex car autographed by AK! So what did you do for alan kulwicki?
. . "worked for Alan Kulwicki" meaning "it" (as having both driving skills and a college degree) as he won a Championship. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 5/23/12, 09:40 AM
Cobra Member

. . "worked for Alan Kulwicki" meaning "it" (as having both driving skills and a college degree) as he won a Championship. Sorry for the confusion.
Oh ha ha i misunderstood you! Yes i agree! Ray evernham said the man was a genius!!