'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

New Shelby Coming Monday Night!

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/10, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
yadayadayada... I always wonder 2 things about the great debate...

a) do a few bumps actually cause an SRA to lose the corner?
Cause you IRS boys make it sound like one little bump and the car is in the ditch.

b) do most IRS zealots actually have any driving skill?
CAMBER
Old 1/18/10, 03:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Is this Shelby unveiling thing aired on the speed channel tonight ?
Old 1/18/10, 03:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
exhausts exit the center rear...
Old 1/18/10, 04:00 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Evil
CAMBER
bump steer

(and as usual, no one answers the question)
Old 1/18/10, 04:08 PM
Bullitt Member

bump steer

(and as usual, no one answers the question)
because in a properly designed setup it's not an issue. For examples of this see every sportscar made in the last 30 years.
Old 1/18/10, 04:11 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Dr Evil
For examples of this see every sportscar made in the last 30 years.

yeah I got that...

but does the SRA lose the corner...?
Old 1/18/10, 04:55 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
depends on the corner.
When I got my 2000gt I thought it was a pretty good. Bounced like crazy on expansion joints but you get used to it. My GF got a Cobra the next year and it was like night and day in the handling dept. No jumping on expansion joints and hitting one on a corner was a non issue.

Now I realize the SN95 was an ancient platform but the point is even a Half azzed IRS in the cobra was better than SLA and it just got even better with the Terminator. Now imagine just imagine how much better the s197 would handle if it had the IRS that it was supposed to origianlly have..a system that was designed for that car. Not retro fitted years later. It would be fantastic.

Last edited by burningman; 1/18/10 at 04:57 PM.
Old 1/18/10, 05:11 PM
Cobra Member

will this be on the speed channel??
Old 1/18/10, 05:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Ok. It's Monday night. Where is it???
Old 1/18/10, 05:21 PM
Bullitt Member

yeah I got that...

but does the SRA lose the corner...?

if by that you mean, get around it slower then yes.
Old 1/18/10, 05:28 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by burningman
depends on the corner.
When I got my 2000gt I thought it was a pretty good. Bounced like crazy on expansion joints but you get used to it. My GF got a Cobra the next year and it was like night and day in the handling dept. No jumping on expansion joints and hitting one on a corner was a non issue.

Now I realize the SN95 was an ancient platform but the point is even a Half azzed IRS in the cobra was better than SLA and it just got even better with the Terminator. Now imagine just imagine how much better the s197 would handle if it had the IRS that it was supposed to origianlly have..a system that was designed for that car. Not retro fitted years later. It would be fantastic.
I've found that as long as I am under at least some acceleration, that any presumed 'skip' in traction is immediately countered by the forward movement of the traction wheels (traction control Off). I've never come close to losing it. On a few occasions I've had to correct with the wheel but mostly the forward traction (in the proper gear in the power band) keeps me planted. And besides my Bullitt, this goes way back to Healey's.
I'm on two lane twisties that are uneven, poorly maintained, usually banked wrong, and no shoulder. I haven't experienced a concrete on ramp at speed. I think where some get in trouble is their fear causes them to let off or over-react... the exact wrong thing to do... unless you want to kiss your ***-end as it comes around to greet you.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/18/10 at 05:30 PM.
Old 1/18/10, 05:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm sure the GT350 will be an amazing car, but as far as recent Shelbys go, it's not that they are bad cars, it's just that they are the opposite of what I love about Mustangs and what I believe the central character of the car to be. I like the fact that the Mustang is always great value, individuality, and is a workingmans sports car/muscle car. That's what it's about for me. That's what makes it appealing to me overall.

Buying a $75,000 dollar Mustang is like going out for a $50.00 "gourmet hamburger". Sure it might be really good with it's exotic toppings, and delicate flavours, but in the end it's completely pointless and goes against the very appeal or character of what it is in the first place.

If you want a $75,000 dollar car, buy an Aston, buy a Porsche. If you want a $50.00 dollar piece of beef, buy a steak.
Old 1/18/10, 05:38 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Red Jay
will this be on the speed channel??
Dish shows a new 1.18.10 episode of Barrett-Jackson on Speed at 6 Pacific time. But the description of the show says 'Las Vegas highlights of the 2009 auction'.
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im still staying neutral on this topic, but that was a great analogy Clino
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Clino
I'm sure the GT350 will be an amazing car, but as far as recent Shelbys go, it's not that they are bad cars, it's just that they are the opposite of what I love about Mustangs and what I believe the central character of the car to be. I like the fact that the Mustang is always great value, individuality, and is a workingmans sports car/muscle car. That's what it's about for me. That's what makes it appealing to me overall.

Buying a $75,000 dollar Mustang is like going out for a $50.00 "gourmet hamburger". Sure it might be really good with it's exotic toppings, and delicate flavours, but in the end it's completely pointless and goes against the very appeal or character of what it is in the first place.

If you want a $75,000 dollar car, buy an Aston, buy a Porsche. If you want a $50.00 dollar piece of beef, buy a steak.

I don't know you but I like you.
Old 1/18/10, 05:41 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
None of what I said is an issue to me as I've driven SLA's all my life on those conditions.. where you notice the hop the most at least in my car is on a highway just cruising along at 65ish and you hit the joint..the car hops plain ands simple..fact of SLA and NJ's crappy roads. IN the Cobra though it was always in contact with the road..no hopping. the only difference in the cars suspension is the IRS vs SLA and it was better in the cobra.

I realize anecdotal evidence isn't worth crap but the physics bear this out.
Anyway on the s197 the fact that is was designed for IRS and the bean counters killed that idea makes me think the car isn't and can't live up to it's full potential. I know it's capable as it stands now but it could be that much better. Such a miss oportunity. The cost for it would be nothing in the grand scheme. If I had the option and it cost 3K or less i'd defiently buy it. Graphics and sticker packages can run alot more and net you alot less.

Anyway that's my nickles worth.

kind of reminds me of the Hubble telescope...did we actually "need" it..No but man the universe is so much cooler with it. An oportunity that wasn't missed and I'm glad for it.
Old 1/18/10, 06:05 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by burningman
None of what I said is an issue to me as I've driven SLA's all my life on those conditions.. where you notice the hop the most at least in my car is on a highway just cruising along at 65ish and you hit the joint..the car hops plain ands simple..fact of SLA and NJ's crappy roads. IN the Cobra though it was always in contact with the road..no hopping. the only difference in the cars suspension is the IRS vs SLA and it was better in the cobra.

I realize anecdotal evidence isn't worth crap but the physics bear this out.
Anyway on the s197 the fact that is was designed for IRS and the bean counters killed that idea makes me think the car isn't and can't live up to it's full potential. I know it's capable as it stands now but it could be that much better. Such a miss oportunity. The cost for it would be nothing in the grand scheme. If I had the option and it cost 3K or less i'd defiently buy it. Graphics and sticker packages can run alot more and net you alot less.

Anyway that's my nickles worth.

kind of reminds me of the Hubble telescope...did we actually "need" it..No but man the universe is so much cooler with it. An oportunity that wasn't missed and I'm glad for it.
Or, at the very least, I wish Ford would offer a Watts Linkage. It makes a huge difference over the standard panhard bar, IMO.
Old 1/18/10, 06:08 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by MARZ
Or, at the very least, I wish Ford would offer a Watts Linkage. It makes a huge difference over the standard panhard bar, IMO.
I'm down with that!
Old 1/18/10, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by 2006GT500
Shelby doesn't set prices for anything, Ford does.
they do for their upfit packages (40th,SE,SS, etc) Ford has nothing to do with these pacakges, other then supply the base car to the customer or SA
Old 1/18/10, 06:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

2 more hours and counting.

Rick je t'ai laissé un message sur ton cell.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 1/18/10 at 06:12 PM.

Quick Reply: New Shelby Coming Monday Night!