Search this Thread

Old 1/18/10, 01:11 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey Doug, that looks familiar
Old 1/18/10, 01:11 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy cow those are some deeeeeep dishes on the rear... I like.
Old 1/18/10, 01:15 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Hey Doug, that looks familiar
Old 1/18/10, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow thats a lot of meat on the rears
Old 1/18/10, 01:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2006GT500
So many argue about the weight of modern Mustangs anyway, you think an IRS if gonna lighten things up?
A properly designed IRS (not the shoe-horned SN95 version) would not weigh much more than a solid axle. It also would decrease unsprung weight, and move the car closer to 50/50 weight distribution.

Also please link said study saying that, "test have shown that an IRS isn't going to improve how the car handles." And please don't compare it to a Camaro or Challenger, or submit race track/skid pad results. IRS is needed most for the real-world streets with potholes. bumps, and grooves on them.
Old 1/18/10, 01:30 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by jedikd
A properly designed IRS (not the shoe-horned SN95 version) would not weigh much more than a solid axle. It also would decrease unsprung weight, and move the car closer to 50/50 weight distribution.

Also please link said study saying that, "test have shown that an IRS isn't going to improve how the car handles." And please don't compare it to a Camaro or Challenger, or submit race track/skid pad results. IRS is needed most for the real-world streets with potholes. bumps, and grooves on them.
Well said Jedi!
Old 1/18/10, 01:34 PM
Cobra Member

I guess I was expecting something a bit more unique and radical, but then again, I've not actually seen the pics...

Originally Posted by Boomer
Why does it sound disappointing?
Maybe other than cost.
Old 1/18/10, 02:03 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Bullitt could have been one of the best modern representations of an iconic Mustang and it failed horribly. It's not much more than a Highland Green California Special.
That is one of the most ridiculous assessments I've read on TMS.

The 3rd generation Bullitt was a definite success during a year that saw Mustang sales plummet thanks to record $4 gas prices and tightening credit (leading to the meltdown). Mustang sales for 2008 were only 67% of 2007 sales, yet the Bullitt sold 85% of its planned 7700 (incl Canada) despite auto sales plummeting across the industry (that triggered two banko's).

While the GT/CS truly was simply an $1895 appearance package, the $3310 Bullitt package included real engineering performance by Paul Randle's team - engineering that became the basis for the 2010 diaper series Mustang GT. The Bullitt was the culmination of the 2005-2009 retro series and truly is best of GT breed for performance right out of the box. It is quick and nimble for two lane twisties, beats the rest of the GT's in the quarter, and with its beefed up 3.73 GT500 rear end (w/KR components), it will take any mods you want to throw at it.

Yet keeping with the Bullitt theme of 68, it is not a top dog fire breathing beats anything monster. It isn't supposed to be. It is a 'regular' GT cut out of the herd that has performance & handling improvements like Steve McQueen insisted on for the movie car. With the 08 you get that right from the factory with a warranty.

As far as Shelby goes, yes his stuff is overpriced, but his branding continues that 'elusive & select' appeal to many. And he earned that place in Ford's heart by his laser focus on an American team bringing down the legendary Enzo. What do you guys want him to do, get out on the track and earn his record again?

I'm glad Shelby's releasing a GT350 and would hope it continues its original theme - not a fire breathing beats everything, but a balanced package of performance and handling. IMO

“With all the improvements we’ve made to the engine and the taller 3.73-to-1 rear gear, the Bullitt will plant you firmly in the driver’s seat when you stand on the throttle. We’ve seen zero to 60 times drop by up to three tenths of a second,” said Randle. “There’s also plenty of power on tap at any speed. The car definitely feels lighter on its feet, and it is.”
Old 1/18/10, 02:07 PM

I'm looking for the article explaining the IRS, but here's an example of a live axle car against IRS cars.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...p_2009-feature
Old 1/18/10, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
That is one of the most ridiculous assessments I've read on TMS.

The 3rd generation Bullitt was a definite success during a year that saw Mustang sales plummet thanks to record $4 gas prices and tightening credit (leading to the meltdown). Mustang sales for 2008 were only 67% of 2007 sales, yet the Bullitt sold 85% of its planned 7700 (incl Canada) despite auto sales plummeting across the industry (that triggered two banko's).

While the GT/CS truly was simply an $1895 appearance package, the $3310 Bullitt package included real engineering performance by Paul Randle's team - engineering that became the basis for the 2010 diaper series Mustang GT. The Bullitt was the culmination of the 2005-2009 retro series and truly is best of GT breed for performance right out of the box. It is quick and nimble for two lane twisties, beats the rest of the GT's in the quarter, and with its beefed up 3.73 GT500 rear end (w/KR components), it will take any mods you want to throw at it.

Yet keeping with the Bullitt theme of 68, it is not a top dog fire breathing beats anything monster. It isn't supposed to be. It is a 'regular' GT cut out of the herd that has performance & handling improvements like Steve McQueen insisted on for the movie car. With the 08 you get that right from the factory with a warranty.

As far as Shelby goes, yes his stuff is overpriced, but his branding continues that 'elusive & select' appeal to many. And he earned that place in Ford's heart by his laser focus on an American team bringing down the legendary Enzo. What do you guys want him to do, get out on the track and earn his record again?

I'm glad Shelby's releasing a GT350 and would hope it continues its original theme - not a fire breathing beats everything, but a balanced package of performance and handling. IMO

“With all the improvements we’ve made to the engine and the taller 3.73-to-1 rear gear, the Bullitt will plant you firmly in the driver’s seat when you stand on the throttle. We’ve seen zero to 60 times drop by up to three tenths of a second,” said Randle. “There’s also plenty of power on tap at any speed. The car definitely feels lighter on its feet, and it is.”

I'm talking about from a styling perspective and only IMO. Not commenting on how the car performs, but you're talking to a former GT500 owner, there are only a few Mustang GT's that raise my blood pressure.
Old 1/18/10, 02:17 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

I'm talking about from a styling perspective and only IMO. Not commenting on how the car performs, but you're talking to a former GT500 owner, there are only a few Mustang GT's that raise my blood pressure.
Now you got me wondering what you'd have had the Bullit look like then?
Me all I would have done was drop all the bullit logos and call it a 390 GT
But that's me. Other than minor complaints about the grill looking odd with it's closed up holes that car IMO is one of the best looking and easily best sounding stock Mustang GT's on the planet.
I was not a beleiver in that car till I drove a Bullitt and GT500 back to back and I'd take the Bullit over the GT500 anyday.

Great little car that was!
Old 1/18/10, 02:20 PM
Post *****

What did you want, hood scoops and Shelby stripes?
Old 1/18/10, 02:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm looking for the article explaining the IRS, but here's an example of a live axle car against IRS cars.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...p_2009-feature
Umm, did you read my post? Yes you can make the SRA hold up on a perfectly smooth race track, but on the street with bumps, potholes, grooves is where the IRS blows away the SRA in both ride quality, control, and overall handling.
Old 1/18/10, 02:45 PM

I think putting a '68 GT style'd hood on it would have been a great addition, also some sort of quarter window treatment. A revised front bumper would have been nice as well. This is all simply my opinion. I at the same time agree with the simplicity of what the Bullitt was in relation to just being a slightly hopped up GT, cause it stays true to what the Bullitt was originally. Which is what I hope they do with the GT350 and stay true to originality.
Old 1/18/10, 02:47 PM

I'll agree with you on the street. My I was discussing how an IRS vs. live axle on a track application. If they can make something lighter and cheaper awesome, I never had a problem with how any of my Mustangs rode, even when lowered and on crap roads. They were like Cadillac's compared to my current car.
Old 1/18/10, 02:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a new Sony Video camera and will post some up as soon as I can when I get home tonight and as far as a price of $74.000 thats insane period.... I hope not but that Shelby name automatically adds $10,000 to the stickers but the Shelby GTs are very reasonable right now. They are also going to auction off the first production 5.0 this week too and its going to rain this whole week in the valley, figures both auctions are here....
Old 1/18/10, 03:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just one more note, if the price is under $50K I will buy one to finally replace my 66 GT350 6S402 that I sold many years ago, oh if I could go back to 1992 because I miss her so very much, Wimbledon White w/ Guardsman Stripes..
Old 1/18/10, 03:28 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow there are some really dumb comments in this thread. I'm guessing many of them are coming from the guys that wish they could own a Shelby, but can't due to pricing and not realizing why they are priced like they are.
I really like the 2007+ GT500's. I like that they are a good value for what you get. They are a good value because they are 100% built at Ford's AAI plant in Flat Rock. Ford has been able to engineer and build in sufficient quantities to keep the costs reasonable.

SAI and other tuners - on the other hand - deal with too small of quantities to capitalize on the economies of scale that Ford (or any OEM) enjoys. This puts SAI in a position of offering nice products at a not-so-nice price. While I appreciate the cars that Shelby has produced over the years, it just plain slays me that it costs so much for SAI to convert a car. I, like many others, just don't see value in the SAI converted cars (i.e. 2007-8 SGT, Super Snakes, 40th Anniversary, 427, etc.). I am the SVT/Shelby director at the dealership I work for, and we've sold dozens of of Shelbys (and countless SVT's) so if anyone should be singing Shelby's praise, it should be me. Sorry to say that I can't. And a $74K GT350 or $80K KR or $100K+ SS/40th/427 just make me want to
Old 1/18/10, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll agree with you on the street. My I was discussing how an IRS vs. live axle on a track application. If they can make something lighter and cheaper awesome, I never had a problem with how any of my Mustangs rode, even when lowered and on crap roads. They were like Cadillac's compared to my current car.
IRS is superior everywhere. To state otherwise is laughable.
Old 1/18/10, 03:43 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Dr Evil
IRS is superior everywhere. To state otherwise is laughable.
yadayadayada... I always wonder 2 things about the great debate...

a) do a few bumps actually cause an SRA to lose the corner?
Cause you IRS boys make it sound like one little bump and the car is in the ditch.

b) do most IRS zealots actually have any driving skill?

Quick Reply: New Shelby Coming Monday Night!