Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Is my Clutch Toast???

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/10, 07:52 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IT_Guru
I always thout the law said it was the Manufacturer that had to prove that the part DID cause the failure, not that the consumer had to prove it didn't. I would still get the proof in writing from Ford why the pully caused the failure.

But maybe it's not worth the time. I know if Ford treated me like that I may just have to think twice about any further Ford purchases.
Exactly, and given the fact that the same clutch is warrantied for the GT500KR, which put out more power than here, it should be hard for Ford to prove the pulley caused the failure.
Old 6/29/10, 07:54 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
I would seriously think twice about ordering that Fiesta...
I would be a bit apprehensive due to its size, price, and first year of production.
Old 6/29/10, 09:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always thout the law said it was the Manufacturer that had to prove that the part DID cause the failure, not that the consumer had to prove it didn't. I would still get the proof in writing from Ford why the pully caused the failure.

But maybe it's not worth the time. I know if Ford treated me like that I may just have to think twice about any further Ford purchases.
Yes but he can say what he wants in fords eyes, they can just show pictures of the clutch and claim abuse, that's all they need to knock him down 'look at the clutch' that's it unfortunately the picture looks like a clutch that been slipped and overheated to death.

all he has to say is 'why did it fail so soon' ford's rebuttal would be 'look at the clutch'
who do you think the judge will believe once they see pictures of the clutch? they are just going to claim driver's error all day plus the mods. that's the issue with a manual trans you have all the control that's why clutches are usually not warrantied.

Last edited by fdjizm; 6/29/10 at 09:40 AM.
Old 6/29/10, 11:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by fdjizm
Yes but he can say what he wants in fords eyes, they can just show pictures of the clutch and claim abuse, that's all they need to knock him down 'look at the clutch' that's it unfortunately the picture looks like a clutch that been slipped and overheated to death.

all he has to say is 'why did it fail so soon' ford's rebuttal would be 'look at the clutch'
who do you think the judge will believe once they see pictures of the clutch? they are just going to claim driver's error all day plus the mods. that's the issue with a manual trans you have all the control that's why clutches are usually not warrantied.
I see where you are coming from but I disagree. I have a proven track record of driving manual cars without issue. My 05 GT that is modified has 58k on it and is avalible for inspection. Ford has given assurances to Shelby America that the stock clutch can handle the power on both Super Snake packages hence negating the power mod. The hot spots on the clutch indicate a pressure plate failure which would be a defect in the assembly. Parts go bad sometimes, it doesn't mean all 2010-2011s are. There is a very valid case here, it's not the slam dunk you make it out to be.

On top of all this, Ford can’t even get me the part in a reasonable amount of time. My car is in the 4th week of seeing on the lift waiting to be fixed. The clutch is on back order until tomorrow 6/30/10 and there is no guarantee I even get one of those. I ordered a McLeod RST Clutch and Light Steel Flywheel. This should give me the same feel as the 2010 clutch but with a higher quality part. This has been a terrible ownership experience from the date of delivery. As a long time Ford customer from a diehard Ford family it makes me sick.

Last edited by bpmurr; 6/29/10 at 11:36 AM.
Old 6/29/10, 11:54 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by bpmurr
This has been a terrible ownership experience from the date of delivery. As a long time Ford customer from a diehard Ford family it makes me sick.
That's the part that makes me sick. They haven't done right by you after all those years of loyalty. Myself and my family are the same way. We've been loyal Ford customers through good times and bad. But none of that matters over a single part from Ford. That's sad.

I don't know when I'd buy a Ford again if i had experienced what you have.
Old 6/29/10, 12:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bpmurr
I see where you are coming from but I disagree. I have a proven track record of driving manual cars without issue. My 05 GT that is modified has 58k on it and is avalible for inspection. Ford has given assurances to Shelby America that the stock clutch can handle the power on both Super Snake packages hence negating the power mod. The hot spots on the clutch indicate a pressure plate failure which would be a defect in the assembly. Parts go bad sometimes, it doesn't mean all 2010-2011s are. There is a very valid case here, it's not the slam dunk you make it out to be.

On top of all this, Ford can’t even get me the part in a reasonable amount of time. My car is in the 4th week of seeing on the lift waiting to be fixed. The clutch is on back order until tomorrow 6/30/10 and there is no guarantee I even get one of those. I ordered a McLeod RST Clutch and Light Steel Flywheel. This should give me the same feel as the 2010 clutch but with a higher quality part. This has been a terrible ownership experience from the date of delivery. As a long time Ford customer from a diehard Ford family it makes me sick.
I am not going against you just trying to let you know that trying to go to court for this would be a huge waste of money since all they have to do is really show the pictures and say there are no mechanical defects...

I agree they need to do something more for you though
Throw one of these in and call it a day

Last edited by fdjizm; 6/29/10 at 06:11 PM.
Old 7/1/10, 05:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by fdjizm
I am not going against you just trying to let you know that trying to go to court for this would be a huge waste of money since all they have to do is really show the pictures and say there are no mechanical defects...

I agree they need to do something more for you though
Throw one of these in and call it a day
I went with this instead...
Attached Thumbnails Is my Clutch Toast???-mcleodrst.jpg  
Old 7/3/10, 05:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Got the car back yesterday. The McLeod feels very good. The pedal effort feels even lighter than stock if that's possible. More feedback to come as I put some miles on it.