Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Is my Clutch Toast???

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/10, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear this, I wish you luck as you move forward!
Old 6/22/10, 02:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

I received a call from the Ford Executive Office. I talked with Lynn and she said that because of my pulley upgrade and driving habits (How would they know this?) my warranty claim won’t be honored. I explained my situation in more detail, and told her I just drive the car a lot as a daily driver and not out hot rodding it. She is going to see if there is any assistance Ford can offer me being that I’m a loyal customer.

As of right now a OEM replacement clutch won't ship until 6/30/10.
Old 6/22/10, 02:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
I received a call from the Ford Executive Office. I talked with Lynn and she said that because of my pulley upgrade and driving habits (How would they know this?) my warranty claim won’t be honored. I explained my situation in more detail, and told her I just drive the car a lot as a daily driver and not out hot rodding it. She is going to see if there is any assistance Ford can offer me being that I’m a loyal customer.

As of right now a OEM replacement clutch won't ship until 6/30/10.
Why did you go with a stock clutch if they voided your warranty anyway? Just wondering.
Old 6/22/10, 05:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by IT_Guru
Why did you go with a stock clutch if they voided your warranty anyway? Just wondering.
According to Shelby America the stock clutch can handle the 650 and 750HP packages for the Super Snake with no issues. The power issue is just a BS out for Ford. I'd go aftermarket but I'm very tight on funds and I'm still working with Ford Corporate to find a solution.
Old 6/22/10, 08:21 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
... (How would they know this?) ...

Your keyboard?

I am not being sarcastic, nor condescending, nor have I enjoyed a single second of your misery, it is just making light of the ordeal. But, if you were to look back you should be able to figure it out. Let's just say, personally that is, long ago I took my father's advice of "think twice speak once" which was coincidentally reaffirmed by a very similar and logical composition by TMS's very own svopaul with his "think twice post once" suggestion, because you never know.
Old 6/22/10, 08:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT

Your keyboard?

I am not being sarcastic, nor condescending, nor have I enjoyed a single second of your misery, it is just making light of the ordeal. But, if you were to look back you should be able to figure it out. Let's just say, personally that is, long ago I took my father's advice of "think twice speak once" which was coincidentally reaffirmed by a very similar and logical composition by TMS's very own svopaul with his "think twice post once" suggestion, because you never know.
I'm not sure where I've ever posted anything about doing crazy stuff with my car. It's a Mustang so Ford should expect more aggressive driving then say a Focus owner. These cars are built to run....but then given the situation maybe not.

Last edited by bpmurr; 6/22/10 at 08:31 PM.
Old 6/22/10, 08:50 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
... It's a Mustang so Ford should expect more aggressive driving then say a Focus owner. These cars are built to run...
I agree. I think I was the first one on this thread to touch up on the subject. For Ford to bring the pulley as a justification is bull, it is a copout.
Old 6/23/10, 12:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just got off the phone with Lynn again. She said Ford will not fix the clutch under warranty or provide any assistance through other means to fix it. Their engineers have reviewed the pictures and determined their was no part failure. That the wear was due to the pulley swap. The only thing they will do is offer me an extended service plan for free on the 2011 Fiesta I have on order. Lynn is trying to find me someone technical to explain it to me. I don't understand how this thing is burnt up after 9500 miles of mixed driving....

Are these cars that sensitive?
Old 6/23/10, 12:48 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I just got off the phone with Lynn again. She said Ford will not fix the clutch under warranty or provide any assistance through other means to fix it. Their engineers have reviewed the pictures and determined their was no part failure. That the wear was due to the pulley swap. The only thing they will do is offer me an extended service plan for free on the 2011 Fiesta I have on order. Lynn is trying to find me someone technical to explain it to me. I don't understand how this thing is burnt up after 9500 miles of mixed driving....

Are these cars that sensitive?
It's complete BS. That part had to be faulty or just wear premature.

I've got about 7,000 miles with 479rwhp/455tq to the wheels through a stock GT clutch and I'm still fine. They are just using it as a cop out. I'm sure not every clutch that rolls off the Ford assembly line is perfect, and it looks like you got a bummer. If it weren't for that pulley swap they'd be replacing it now.

It sucks to get hosed like this. I feel for you man.

I was looking at a used 2010 GT500 the other day and remembered your story and thought to myself the first thing I would want to do is a pulley swap and the first thing Ford would do is deny any powertrain warranty work. No thanks. I'll just keep my pitiful little GT then.
Old 6/24/10, 04:20 AM

That's homo dude. Way to screw the good guys Ford. We are the ones you build cars for and you can't even mamge to take care of one of your own?! You will continue to receive more of my money because I am obsessed with your product, but don't expect me to take ****-poor service laying down. Shame on you Ford. A man spends 50K+ dollars and you can't replace a 1K clutch that defected. Shame on you.
Old 6/24/10, 04:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ice Hawk
That's homo dude. Way to screw the good guys Ford. We are the ones you build cars for and you can't even mamge to take care of one of your own?! You will continue to receive more of my money because I am obsessed with your product, but don't expect me to take ****-poor service laying down. Shame on you Ford. A man spends 50K+ dollars and you can't replace a 1K clutch that defected. Shame on you.
You got a free GT i hate you.

lmao
Old 6/24/10, 07:58 AM

Oops. Slow internet. Double Post.

Last edited by Ice Hawk; 6/24/10 at 08:02 AM.
Old 6/24/10, 09:46 AM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
So if they use the same clutch for a 650-750hp application, how is running not even 600hp through it bad? What happens when the SuperSnakes start burning their clutches? If yours is gone at not even 600 to the wheels, those SS owners aren't gonna be able to leave a stop light without burning theirs up. Just sounds like a bad situation here, I feel for ya
Old 6/24/10, 09:55 AM
Cobra R Member

I haven't read of any other clutch problems but his on the gt500's
I still think something wasn't clamping down like it should have been.
Old 6/25/10, 07:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

I want to take a minute and clear some things up. People have said my dealer Crouse Ford screwed me over trying to get this repair covered under warranty and that’s not true. I’ve talked with both the service manager and general manager of the dealership. The service manager went through the normal warranty process for the part. Being that my car is most likely the first 2010 with a burnt up clutch it was flagged in the system. SVT wanted pictures of the clutch and other things like the engine bay. Upon reviewing those pictures they determined they would not warranty the clutch. The service manager went back and forth with Ford trying to get it covered. The general manager even spoke with the Ford executive office and got the same answer. He is pretty upset about this as well. Ford won’t offer anything to me but an extended warranty on the 2011 Fiesta I have on order. Basically I have to spend another $17k and they still haven’t addressed the current issue. I’m working with my dealer on some other options now. I’ve had some family issues to take care of so this really hasn’t been a top priority at the moment. They can’t even get the clutch in because it’s on back order until 6/30 at the earliest.
Old 6/28/10, 03:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I would seriously think twice about ordering that Fiesta. If you can find another car I'd cancel just on principle. Yes you modifed the car, BUT it wasn't your modification that caused the failure. There is no way they determined that it is just using a picture. Ford just knows you aren't going to push the issue and pay for court costs.

I mean they aren't willing to replace a $1200 dollar clutch that was faulty. Heck if you put an aftermarket clutch on it they'd probably claim you voided the rest of the power train warranty due to "more stress" cause by a clutch that actually hooks up.

Your situation sucks, but unless you have the money to fight them or find a state attorney general that wants to help you out sounds like you are screwed.
Old 6/28/10, 03:07 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by IT_Guru
I would seriously think twice about ordering that Fiesta. If you can find another car I'd cancel just on principle. Yes you modifed the car, BUT it wasn't your modification that caused the failure. There is no way they determined that it is just using a picture. Ford just knows you aren't going to push the issue and pay for court costs.

I mean they aren't willing to replace a $1200 dollar clutch that was faulty. Heck if you put an aftermarket clutch on it they'd probably claim you voided the rest of the power train warranty due to "more stress" cause by a clutch that actually hooks up.

Your situation sucks, but unless you have the money to fight them or find a state attorney general that wants to help you out sounds like you are screwed.
Wouldn't the cost of the repair be small enough to go to small claims court?
Old 6/28/10, 03:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
Wouldn't the cost of the repair be small enough to go to small claims court?

What can he really prove in court though, if he is going to sue them ford is just going to say "look at the clutch" and then the case is closed, that and the mods won't help at all.

not worth even trying to go to court.
Old 6/28/10, 03:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Shouldn't of let your wife drive it.
Old 6/29/10, 07:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
What can he really prove in court though, if he is going to sue them ford is just going to say "look at the clutch" and then the case is closed, that and the mods won't help at all.

not worth even trying to go to court.
I always thout the law said it was the Manufacturer that had to prove that the part DID cause the failure, not that the consumer had to prove it didn't. I would still get the proof in writing from Ford why the pully caused the failure.

But maybe it's not worth the time. I know if Ford treated me like that I may just have to think twice about any further Ford purchases.

Quick Reply: Is my Clutch Toast???