Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Is my Clutch Toast???

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/10, 03:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yugoboss
Question is what would you do if you were the dealer and somebody brought that clutch in like that ?
Well the dealer is at the mercy of Ford. The dealer understands I'm a loyal Ford customer, I haven't been abusive to the car, and they are trying to find someone upchain who cares. If it was their choice they'd no cost warranty it. However, Ford is the one who pays the bills.

It's how you treat your customers during the bad times serperates the good from the bad companies. Right now it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I feel like a fool for giving GT-R guys crap about Nissan not warrantying them and Ford does the same thing.

Last edited by bpmurr; 6/11/10 at 04:00 PM.
Old 6/11/10, 06:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
The GT-R is exactly what I thought of when I saw this. And they were beating the crap out of their cars.
Old 6/11/10, 06:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But this is just one gt500 how is it similar to the GTR wide spread issue?
Old 6/11/10, 06:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by fdjizm
But this is just one gt500 how is it similar to the GTR wide spread issue?
For now, not too many 2010's out there with 9k+ on them already...

Now 07-09 owners are getting this same clutch as a replacement for the old one. Only a matter of time....

Last edited by bpmurr; 6/11/10 at 06:19 PM.
Old 6/11/10, 08:22 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by bpmurr
The dealer is telling me Ford will not honor the warranty because of the pulley swap. The additional power has lead to the premature wear. I'm not sure what to do....
Isn't the 2010's additional rwhp more than what the additional performace the pulley swap provides on the same engine as the 2009? Or is the clutch for the 2010 upgraded to sustain the additional less than 10% performance upgrade?

I am under the impression there is no difference of drivetrain components from 2009 model to the 2010 model, just a more agressive tune.
Old 6/11/10, 08:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Isn't the 2010's additional rwhp more than what the additional performace the pulley swap provides on the same engine as the 2009? Or is the clutch for the 2010 upgraded to sustain the additional less than 10% performance upgrade?

I am under the impression there is no difference of drivetrain components from 2009 model to the 2010 model, just a more agressive tune.
The 2007-09 and 2010 are pretty much the same with 2.6, CAI, and tune. It's just the 2010 comes with a CAI and more aggressive tune from the factory.
Old 6/11/10, 08:40 PM

I'll point to the press day for the 2010 GT500 where they were drag racing the car. If the car can't do it then that's false advertising. If they want me drive it like a Focus then advertise it as such.
Fords proudly and frequently brag on the Mustangs' 0 to 60 times, quarter mile times, and sub, par, or just over 1g. I'd like to be schooled on how that is accomplished without straining and stressing the drivetrain without wear and tear.

If I know Ford they are fully aware of the limitations of all the Mustang models. Fords sell fun and excitement... limited to a few times.
Old 6/11/10, 08:43 PM
GT Member

If I was you, I wouldnt make a stink about what the dealer said to you regarding your warranty- chances are, they just told you that via word of mouth- and if you put the original pulley back on the car and take it in for anything else- they'll honor your warranty anywhere else. Just dont take it back to that particular dealership...

Remember that Ford will void the warranty for any mods they feel can contribute to modifying the cars output power, handling, or even exhaust. For example, people looking to put off-road full exhausts on their cars need to be careful too. If you take the cats off, and then take the car to the dealership for anything, and they see the exhaust modified without cats, etc- they can void warrantys.

If you want to have them honor the warranty for any other work- then put the original pulley back on it, and take it to the next big Ford dealership and have them look at it. If you need a new clutch, that's a wearable part- and just have someone else either replace it or do it yourself at some smaller Ford performance shop or whatever.

My thought is, chances are- they wont flag you in the system for voiding the warranty. And like another person said, if you put the original pulley back on the car- then they'll have to prove it, that you ever had a different pulley on it. Don't let you warranty go down the drain. You paid a lot for that GT500.
Old 6/11/10, 08:53 PM

The 2007-09 and 2010 are pretty much the same with 2.6, CAI, and tune. It's just the 2010 comes with a CAI and more aggressive tune from the factory.
My point is the engine, clutch, transmission, drive shaft, and rear end are the same for both MYs. If your aftermaket pulley makes an additional 5 - 8 lbs of torque while 2010 is 20+ how can the lower rated be distructive while the higher rated is not? It seem to me if one can endure it the other should as well.
Old 6/11/10, 08:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'll see about going to another dealer. I'm sure my dealer won't like it because they'll have to reinstall the clutch. Should at least that be covered?

Last edited by bpmurr; 6/11/10 at 09:00 PM.
Old 6/11/10, 09:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
My point is the engine, clutch, transmission, drive shaft, and rear end are the same for both MYs. If your aftermaket pulley makes an additional 5 - 8 lbs of torque while 2010 is 20+ how can the lower rated be distructive while the higher rated is not? It seem to me if one can endure it the other should as well.
I'm not following you here.

I have a 2010 GT500 which by default makes more power then a 07-09. The clutch is a new design in the 2010 and is being retrofitted to 07-09 owners with clutch issues. The pulley gives the car around 50 ish HP over stock.
Old 6/11/10, 09:14 PM

I'm not following you here...

I have a 2010 GT500...
My bad. For whatever reason I kept thinking your GT500 was a 2009.

Scratch my failed logic. I should not have had that cheap Budwiser with dinner.
Old 6/14/10, 02:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

I talked to the service manager again today. He said that he talked to two people at the plant. They both said from the pictures they can't see anything wrong with the clutch other then it being burnt up. In fact they don't even want the unit back now for review. The service manager is going to update his log and then I have a contact at Ford to speak with tomorrow. Hopefully Ford Corporate can work with me.

Last edited by bpmurr; 6/14/10 at 02:54 PM.
Old 6/14/10, 03:04 PM
Bullitt Member

You need to have them put it in writing the exact reason that the pully swap caused the clutch to fail. Talk to a lawyer, sometimes a letter from one mentioning the Warranty Act will be enough. Everyway I've heard the law explained it says that Ford has the burden of proving why the aftermaket part caused the failure - not the owner.

But it may cost more to fight them thatn the clutch will cost to replace.

I've read that Ford flags your car as soon as they deny your warranty claim with the reason. By putting the old pully back on and going to another dealer it may just make you look like you are trying to deceive them, that won't help in court.
Old 6/14/10, 03:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by IT_Guru
You need to have them put it in writing the exact reason that the pully swap caused the clutch to fail. Talk to a lawyer, sometimes a letter from one mentioning the Warranty Act will be enough. Everyway I've heard the law explained it says that Ford has the burden of proving why the aftermaket part caused the failure - not the owner.

But it may cost more to fight them thatn the clutch will cost to replace.

I've read that Ford flags your car as soon as they deny your warranty claim with the reason. By putting the old pully back on and going to another dealer it may just make you look like you are trying to deceive them, that won't help in court.
The car is flagged in the system so there is no way around it. I'm not going to try and swap things back to pull a fast one. I would have done that in the first place but morally I have a problem with it. I will bring up the warranty act per my discussions. The decision Ford made was based on just pictures of the part not even an inspection. I had a ASE Master Mechanic say it looked like the pressure plate failed based on the pics. Amazing how an outside person saw a failure from the same pics.
Old 6/14/10, 06:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Amazing how the clutch all the sudden handles more power then I'm putting down as long as Ford does a supercharger upgrade.

"Super Packs (2005-2009 MY: M-6066-M463V, M-6066-M463P, M-6066-M463V7, M-6066-
M463P7, M-6066-M463V8, M-6066-M463P8, M-6066-SGT; 2010 MY: M-6066-MGT400C, M-
6066-MGT400PC, M-6066-MSVTA) are warranted for factory-supplied material or
workmanship beginning upon dealer installation and registration of the Ford Racing Super
Pack with Ford Racing and ends at either 12 months/12,000 miles (whichever occurs first).
Installation must occur prior to the vehicle reaching either 36 months/36,000 miles (whichever
occurs first) from the beginning of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. This
Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacture's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for
engine, driveline and suspension parts when a concern is triggered by a warranted Ford
Racing Super Pack. All engine, driveline and suspension warranty issues not related to
installation of Ford Racing Super Pack remain subject to existing manufacturer's New Vehicle
Limited Warranty.
• 400 HP and 475 HP Super Packs are only warranted when dealer installed on
Mustang GT 4.6L engines.
• 6005HP and 650 HP Super Packs are only warranted when dealer installed on
Shelby GT500 5.4L engines."
Old 6/14/10, 07:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
See that's what I said....
Old 6/16/10, 08:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

I talked with Ford Customer Service. They can't do anything as they said SVT denied the claim as well as the regional rep. The dealer won't request them to examine the part. They will either sell me the part at cost plus labor for a total of $1207.00 or leave the car outside for me to pickup and I can have a rollback come and get it.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I don't want to put another stock clutch back in if it's going to fail like that. Nobody at Ford seems to give a ****.
Old 6/16/10, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I am sorry to hear that.

I would make them put the car back together at least so you can get it to another dealership or preformance shop at least. Or make them pay to ship it to a shop of your choosing. You drove it in and thats how they should return. Then find an good aftermarket clutch and shop.

Good luck. Once you get a better clutch you will forget all about this mess.
Old 6/16/10, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Try reading this, it may give you some guidance for your next step.

http://www.semasan.com/Main/Main.aspx?ID=60128

Quick Reply: Is my Clutch Toast???