Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

2013 Shelby vs 2012 ZL1 - - here we go

Old 6/19/12, 11:38 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm just glad both cars exist.

Am I disappointed with the review? Of course. BUT, I still think it's amazing what the SVT guys have done with a platform all but 9 years old. And they won't take this lying down......I'm sure the '15 SVT car will right most of the current cars failings. It will be even MORE awesome

At the end of the day, the Chevy boys will buy the Camaro, the Ford boys will buy the Mustang.......and both will be more than happy with their choices (other than internet bragging rights )
Old 6/19/12, 11:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by devious_stang
Im sticking to my choice...no matter what!

My dad is... or was, seriously thinking about buying a GT500. I wish the reason why he's being fickle was because of a review like this but now he's thinking of getting a Challenger 392 because the wheels are staggered in the GT500 and cannot rotate the tires! Someone help me let him see the light! I'd rather him get the ZL1 then that.

But in the end it's his car and his money.
Old 6/20/12, 06:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Blackbird.

My dad is... or was, seriously thinking about buying a GT500. I wish the reason why he's being fickle was because of a review like this but now he's thinking of getting a Challenger 392 because the wheels are staggered in the GT500 and cannot rotate the tires! Someone help me let him see the light! I'd rather him get the ZL1 then that.

But in the end it's his car and his money.
well I rather drive a challenger than a zl1, mainly because its so **** good looking and well I have a little disdain for GM as a whole. But yea whats he thinking? there is an actual reason the tires are staggered on the GT500...I could not quote that, but there is. However he could change it to a same size tire all around, say like 275's?? hes crazy to choose a chally over a shelby, but hey if thats what he wants. Also tell him tuning those dodges is a pain because they keep that ecm locked. He should also remember the chally is not even in the conversation anymore, its mustang vs. camaro now....unless they offer the upcoming Cuda with a blower
Old 6/20/12, 06:43 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by farmboy90

By the way, I am still taking the mustang.

The Camaro just looks like a caricature of itself. Looks like something out of a Transformers movie.
I agree. I remember test driving the Camaro before deciding on the 5.0. I was not impressed.

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
I'm just glad both cars exist.

Am I disappointed with the review? Of course. BUT, I still think it's amazing what the SVT guys have done with a platform all but 9 years old. And they won't take this lying down......I'm sure the '15 SVT car will right most of the current cars failings. It will be even MORE awesome

At the end of the day, the Chevy boys will buy the Camaro, the Ford boys will buy the Mustang.......and both will be more than happy with their choices (other than internet bragging rights )
I agree.no matter what the results of this review, I still love the Shelby.just a tad bit disappointed
Old 6/20/12, 07:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm waiting for C&D's Lighting Lap issue. That will be the true test to me!!!
Old 6/20/12, 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

everyone ready for another "objective" article?

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews..._shelby_gt500/
Old 6/20/12, 11:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by devious_stang
everyone ready for another "objective" article?

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews..._shelby_gt500/
I find the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro advertisement on the page about a supposedly objective comparison between the two vehicles to be a laughably thorough indictment of the entire series of articles. The numbers and descriptions in the first article sounded fabricated, the ad just ices the biased reporting cake.
Old 6/20/12, 12:14 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I am seriously rethinking the SVT PP and the TP now.

I think I'd rather put my own mods on it now and I would want aftermarket wheels anyway.
Old 6/20/12, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

what I find more amusing is if you read the article without numbers you get the sense the shelby got its *** kicked...yet it rapes the zl1 at the strip, but they call it a tie? worthless mag really....

yea I opted for a base car because I rather do my own tweaking down the road and I already have wheels and tires picked out...wider meats, lighter wheels and a better stance/suspension will make the car perfect for me
Old 6/20/12, 12:19 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'm thinking why spend close to $7k just to take the stuff off and put other stuff in its place.

Been there. Done that.
Old 6/20/12, 01:51 PM
V6 Member

In the only performance contest that 95% of owners will ever engage in, the Shelby delivers an a$$ kicking of epic proportions. That it does it while returning vastly better MPG is just an added bonus. I'd take mine without the performance packages and run with it.
Old 6/20/12, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I'm thinking why spend close to $7k just to take the stuff off and put other stuff in its place.

Been there. Done that.
same logic I used also
Old 6/20/12, 06:21 PM
Cobra R Member

7/10ths of second faster on the race course....this coming from a driver who was wishing for the ZL1 to win. It's not hard to see that subconsciously he might be pushing the ZL1 while not pushing the Shelby quite as hard.

On the strip the Shelby roasted the ZL1. So take your pick as to which you'd rather have.
Old 6/20/12, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

These guys are @$$ backwards. Yesterday the shifter in the GT500 was far superior to the ZL1 but today the GT500's gears are "on top of each other". Not only that but they refer to the GT500 as old school and chevy as the all modern.......... How about a dohc motor making far more hp per liter than the archaic pushrods motor.

These guys are clowns
Old 6/21/12, 04:49 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0
These guys are @$$ backwards. Yesterday the shifter in the GT500 was far superior to the ZL1 but today the GT500's gears are "on top of each other". Not only that but they refer to the GT500 as old school and chevy as the all modern.......... How about a dohc motor making far more hp per liter than the archaic pushrods motor.

These guys are clowns
Yep..something just doesn't make sense here. Biased indeed.
Old 6/21/12, 06:01 AM
Bullitt Member

There's far more that I could call them out on... But I think I proved my point...
Old 6/21/12, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

yea you could spend 20 minutes dissecting the article finding all the bias...but in the end it doesnt matter, just another mag claiming to be objective and reputable while interjecting their opinion and agenda...i have made my choice and im super happy with it
Old 6/21/12, 08:48 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Both cars embody rolling compromises (to steal a line from a Mazda commercial) -- the Camaro, its cartoonish aesthetic and pathetically-cheap interior with tank-link visibility; the GT500, its gas-saving 3.31 gears and, compared to the ZL1, super-narrow tires. One has to wonder, body roll notwithstanding (though, this is the first time I've heard someone complain of body roll in a 2013 GT500), how the GT500 would perform on the track with numerically-higher gears and some wider tires.

The fact we can get a 662-horse sports car (yeah, to me, the new GT500 is a sports car) for under $60K that doesn't get whacked with a gas guzzler tax has me all the more excited to see what SVT will come up with in 2015, devoid of several of the compromises the 2013 and its S197 platform is handcuffed with.
Old 6/21/12, 08:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MARZ
Both cars embody rolling compromises (to steal a line from a Mazda commercial) -- the Camaro, its cartoonish aesthetic and pathetically-cheap interior with tank-link visibility; the GT500, its gas-saving 3.31 gears and, compared to the ZL1, super-narrow tires. One has to wonder, body roll notwithstanding (though, this is the first time I've heard someone complain of body roll in a 2013 GT500), how the GT500 would perform on the track with numerically-higher gears and some wider tires.

The fact we can get a 662-horse sports car (yeah, to me, the new GT500 is a sports car) for under $60K that doesn't get whacked with a gas guzzler tax has me all the more excited to see what SVT will come up with in 2015, devoid of several of the compromises the 2013 and its S197 platform is handcuffed with.
I'm certain the GT500 would have fared much better with more tire. 285 up front and 305 out back would have made quite a bit of a difference, I think. Gears certainly could help.

However, regardless of what you do to the Mustang, the ZL1 still has the superior suspension. To overcome it I think the GT500 would need to shed a significant amount of weight.

I am certain things will change with the next generation.
Old 6/21/12, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Figures the 3rd installment would declare the ZL1 the victor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Shelby vs 2012 ZL1 - - here we go