Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

2013 Shelby vs 2012 ZL1 - - here we go

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/12, 02:31 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
2013 Shelby vs 2012 ZL1 - - here we go

If this is a repost, I apologize, but the article JUST came out today, so I hope I'm the first to post this. Honestly, I prefer "...chiseled abs...". And not sure if I agree with all the editors have to say. I will let you all read it and you guys decide.

I still love me a 2013 Shelby. I don't care WHAT they say

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews..._shelby_gt500/

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews..._shelby_gt500/

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...gt500_on_road/

I'm really disappointed in this excerpt though: Maybe it isn't as good as I hoped????

Entering the turns, the Shelby displays a boatload of body roll. That's not completely surprising given the GT500's humble origins, but I expected more from the Bilstein two-mode adjustable shocks, which are part of the $3495 Performance Package. The car wallows like a stuck pig and I desperately attempted to load up the outside wheels on corner entry. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't calm the Shelby to precisely attack a corner. To make matters worse, the understeer in the fast turns was significant, meaning I was unable to carry the speed through the important fast sections of the lap. Power down, however, was solid and when the rear did break loose, the car was easily manageable.

This comment makes me puke even more.... I'm really disappointed now:
It looked like the chubbier ZL1 was fighting a losing battle, but as I entered the first few turns, I noticed something significant. I felt like I was driving a sports car. The steering was sharp and responsive and the car reacted instantaneously to my actions. The body roll is a fraction of the GT500's, which is simply titanic. I began smiling. The ZL1 was magnificent to drive and already I was blown away. The car rotates effortlessly mid-corner and power down is predictable and with poise. It oozed with confidence, daring me to push even harder. Chevrolet's Performance Traction Management has five distinct settings and frankly it's overkill. I switched it off entirely.

Last edited by FromZto5; 6/22/12 at 08:52 PM.
Old 6/19/12, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
big discussion going on over at svtp...im not surprised the MRC is awesome...still would not buy one. The body roll doesnt surprise me ( live rear, 4x4 stance) some suspension goodies should take care of that. To me, the article is a bit biased but whatever. The GT500 will smoke it at the strip but im guessing they will pick the zl1 for the regular road test...so its whatever at this point. Pick the car you like and stick with it...cant wait to get my shelby
Old 6/19/12, 02:44 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are sub forums in this section ya know...not everything has to go in the main section.

Moving...
Old 6/19/12, 02:45 PM
Cobra Member

I'm not really surprised at the outcome. There is a lot of tech in the ZL1 and it has the advantage of the better tire and suspension combination. Even with the weight penalty and the power disadvantage it still has the sheer grip and handling capability to best the GT500 on this course.

I suspect on a longer course with fewer corners the result may be different... a place like Road America, perhaps.
Old 6/19/12, 02:49 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Overboost
There are sub forums in this section ya know...not everything has to go in the main section.

Moving...
Sorry Steve... was hoping for visibility in main. Thanks for moving.

What I really find surprising, and hard to believe is, that remember when the 5.0 and Boss first came out? All the reviewers/editors sang of its praises, heck, it even kept up and surpassed an M3 at one point. Remember that article? So now, why with a Shelby, which is supposed to have a better magnetic suspension (despite solid rear) and that now the handling sucks? Is it purely because of the weight gain?

Old 6/19/12, 02:57 PM
Cobra Member

The 5.0 and Boss still get handling praises. Especially the Boss. Most everything I've read so far says the Boss is much more rewarding to drive than the GT500. I'm sure a lot of this has to do with it being a lighter and better balanced version of the Mustang.

The GT500 still grips, but it is outclassed by the superior ZL1 in all but power.

Again, put the two to the test at a power track and the GT500 might very well best the ZL1 by a second.
Old 6/19/12, 03:03 PM
GTR Member

It's the evolution of the breed. GT and Boss are solid cars, but right now it seems the technical track comparisons are going to the ZL1. The only good I can see out of this is the 2015 SVT car is going to be even better as a result. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 6/19/12, 03:15 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
The 5.0 and Boss still get handling praises. Especially the Boss. Most everything I've read so far says the Boss is much more rewarding to drive than the GT500. I'm sure a lot of this has to do with it being a lighter and better balanced version of the Mustang.

The GT500 still grips, but it is outclassed by the superior ZL1 in all but power.

Again, put the two to the test at a power track and the GT500 might very well best the ZL1 by a second.
Originally Posted by Overboost
It's the evolution of the breed. GT and Boss are solid cars, but right now it seems the technical track comparisons are going to the ZL1. The only good I can see out of this is the 2015 SVT car is going to be even better as a result. Nothing wrong with that.
You guys are right... I'm sure the Shelby will get better for 2015.

But still, I was just disappointed. I REALLY thought the 2013 shelby would kill EVERYthing. And though I know car mag editors are biased, I was hoping "most" if not "all" would sing of its praises. But now they're using words like "clumsy" and "straight line" again... which are some of the notions that the new 2011+ 5.0 was trying to breakaway from. Now, it's coming back. The Shelby is once again, big, heavy, and can only go fast in a straight line.

F***.

I was planning on getting a Shelby in a few years, but now I might just super charge my 5.0

Also I know mag editors are biased, but there had to be some validity in what their analysis is.....right? I mean body roll is body roll...weight is weight

Last edited by FromZto5; 6/19/12 at 03:27 PM.
Old 6/19/12, 03:45 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Body roll and traction can be remedied fairy easily and cheaply. Stock for stock there is a slight fail but I've never been in a perfect mustang right out of the box. Nuthing that a couple grand cant fix.
Old 6/19/12, 03:50 PM
Cobra Member

Love them both. But for the money I still prefer the Boss
Old 6/19/12, 03:52 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ManInABox
Love them both. But for the money I still prefer the Boss with a supercharger
fixed.
Old 6/19/12, 04:17 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Oh well. There's always Talladega I guess.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 6/19/12 at 04:29 PM.
Old 6/19/12, 07:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
This article is a bit hard to believe, because every review of the GT500 prior to this has mentioned how much easier it is to drive this Shelby than its predecessors. The pictures taken at tracks like the ring show the inside wheels coming up off the pavement in turns--that doesn't happen with body roll. Frankly it sounds like the driver had the car on comfort setting for the run. If other reviews are similar, I will give more credence, but I'm skeptical of this in the mean time.
Old 6/19/12, 07:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
fixed.
I don't need no stinkin blower...........would be sweet though
Old 6/19/12, 08:17 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
This article is a bit hard to believe, because every review of the GT500 prior to this has mentioned how much easier it is to drive this Shelby than its predecessors. The pictures taken at tracks like the ring show the inside wheels coming up off the pavement in turns--that doesn't happen with body roll. Frankly it sounds like the driver had the car on comfort setting for the run. If other reviews are similar, I will give more credence, but I'm skeptical of this in the mean time.
That's why I was so shocked at this article.every thing else I read and heard led me to believe that the 2013 Shelby would be a monster, especially at the track. Which means "body roll" and "clumsy" should be nowhere in that review.but it was.
Old 6/19/12, 10:26 PM
FR500 Member

If only the GT500 had wider tires, it would probably have less understeer and could have been better able to use a greater portion of its horsepower without the need for using a tall rear axle gear ratio to help keep wheel spin in check... and never mind the mileage numbers!
Not hard to admit, but still hurts this Ford fan to say the ZL1 is a better "technical" (race)track car than the GT500, given its real power and weight disadvantages. Well, maybe with the next-gen Mustang + IRS, Ford and SVT will get around to putting some decent width tires and get rid of the 4x4 ride height. If this is what it'll take to improve the Mustang, so be it.
Old 6/19/12, 10:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
If only the GT500 had wider tires, it would probably have less understeer and could have been better able to use a greater portion of its horsepower without the need for using a tall rear axle gear ratio to help keep wheel spin in check... and never mind the mileage numbers!
Actually I think wider tires would increase understeer. The rear end would have more traction. That's the last thing you want here on a nose heavy mustang.

You just can't beat the magnetic ride. It truly is an engineering leap in suspension systems. Sure you can make the Cobra handle like a champ. My old 95 Cobra with full griggs was MIND BLOWING on the road courses. It would embarrass the ZL1. But for the street, and as a starting point, that magnetic suspension is pretty slick.
Old 6/19/12, 10:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Im sticking to my choice...no matter what!
Old 6/19/12, 11:05 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by farmboy90
Actually I think wider tires would increase understeer. The rear end would have more traction. That's the last thing you want here on a nose heavy mustang.

You just can't beat the magnetic ride. It truly is an engineering leap in suspension systems. Sure you can make the Cobra handle like a champ. My old 95 Cobra with full griggs was MIND BLOWING on the road courses. It would embarrass the ZL1. But for the street, and as a starting point, that magnetic suspension is pretty slick.
I wasn't thinking just wider tires in the rear. It would be interesting to see what kind of effect switching to wider tires F/R would have on the GT500's handling. Or at least try a more "square" tire setup (wider tires in the front).

Yes the MRC suspension does play a huge role in the ZL1's handling prowess - it's so good, Ferrari uses a version of that technology in the 458. IIRC, it was originally developed by Delphi, which was owned by GM at the time.
Old 6/19/12, 11:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
I wasn't thinking just wider tires in the rear. It would be interesting to see what kind of effect switching to wider tires F/R would have on the GT500's handling. Or at least try a more "square" tire setup (wider tires in the front).

Yes the MRC suspension does play a huge role in the ZL1's handling prowess - it's so good, Ferrari uses a version of that technology in the 458. IIRC, it was originally developed by Delphi, which was owned by GM at the time.
By the way, I am still taking the mustang.

The Camaro just looks like a caricature of itself. Looks like something out of a Transformers movie.

Last edited by farmboy90; 6/19/12 at 11:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Shelby vs 2012 ZL1 - - here we go